HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:50 AM

I'd be more optimistic if something like Olympia would break ground soon, but it's looking like that's in the rear view along with other tall towers that we were excited about less than a year ago. Now we have to hope the Arts District completely transforms into a tower factory the rest of this decade. Good news is non-downtown is still developing all over and the skyline of many smaller city centers will be a reality, but that's at least a a decade away from being magnificent.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 1:28 AM

I've always been a firm believer that the more that comes online, more will follow. I think Oceanwide has honestly held downtown back a little bit. I'm sure a lot of developers wanted to see how good it would pan out or if it would flop instantly since it had a lot of retail attached. When Oceanwide comes online, hopefully 2022 because 2021 seems very out of the question, and does really well, I can see a string of new proposals and ground breakings to happen right after it. Yeah covid threw a wrench into the system but construction didn't grind to a screeching halt like we thought it would.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:07 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I've always been a firm believer that the more that comes online, more will follow. I think Oceanwide has honestly held downtown back a little bit. I'm sure a lot of developers wanted to see how good it would pan out or if it would flop instantly since it had a lot of retail attached. When Oceanwide comes online, hopefully 2022 because 2021 seems very out of the question, and does really well, I can see a string of new proposals and ground breakings to happen right after it. Yeah covid threw a wrench into the system but construction didn't grind to a screeching halt like we thought it would.
Covid doesn't seem to be stopping much in other US cities, but maybe LA is different for whatever reason.

It'd be incredible if even just a few of the decently tall proposals could be realized.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:06 PM

^^^ Didn't stop much here either. Things that were already under construction seemed to actually pick up a little speed this year. The wrench I'm referring to is the permitting process with the city I feel slowed has slowed down a smidge. Not a lot. Just a smidge lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 1:47 AM

Hopefully that will resolve itself a bit with actual city council representation vs the Huizar limbo we were in.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:21 AM

Hi thanks from Perth Australia and the bottom of my heart !!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Hopefully that will resolve itself a bit with actual city council representation vs the Huizar limbo we were in.
This is also true. This Huizar mess has also thrown a wrench into the system a bit. But. It should also be a wakeup call to the city, i know it wont be, but it should. When developers feel they have to go the Huizar route instead of jumping through all the hoops and red tape. Maybe its time some of that red tape to be cut permanently and hoops thrown out of the window. It shouldn't be this hard to get stuff approved in a city with a massive housing crisis.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations