HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:49 PM

I guess the uncertainty amps up the excitement for 1105. It's safe to say now that it'll be taller than the Icon which means it'll have a dominating presence from at least two of four directions.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:07 PM

It would look cool to have the Google logo at the top and lit up at night.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
From January--
Since updated to just about the whole building at 300,000 to 460,000 sf (that number is a bit unclear given the recent 300,000 sf expansion i not defined as total or additional area)--
Smith, Gambrell & Russell signed for the 9th thru 12th floors, Google has the rest. I believe the ABC said their total lease was 475k sf of space. Gotta love that this will open fully leased up!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUrbanist90 View Post
Know this is slightly outside of the bounds of normal content, but this is a group that would care about this:

Centennial Olympic Park has barricaded itself off from the public, and refuses to open for the duration of 2020. Atlanta can't be a city that privatizes its public spaces like this - there's just no way Downtown can become the livable neighborhood we all want it to be if the GWCCA pulls stunts like this.

Please sign and share this petition (and bonus points for e-mailing the state reps and senators who oversee the GWCCA): http://chng.it/GqwmnYHf67
From articles I've read the GWCCA isn't trying to 'pull any stunts'. I read it costs $40K DAILY to operate the park and that is when there aren't any events or scheduled activity....that's just a normal day. The GWCCA is a state entity but it primarily uses their own funds from events for operation rather than only relying on tax payer money. However, due to COVID implications they have no events they have no revenue and have laid off/furloughed staff. They had no choice but to close the park until things get better.

Last edited by ATL Native; Aug 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:19 PM

That number seems astronomically high, particularly in the context of costs that vary by usage.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
That number seems astronomically high, particularly in the context of costs that vary by usage.
Staff, routine maintenance, insurance, utilities, all that water for the fountains...I can see it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Staff, routine maintenance, insurance, utilities, all that water for the fountains...I can see it.
The fountains are still running.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:16 PM

And the landscaping crew comes out every week as well still.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:22 PM

They have shut off the Fountain of Rings which is a big savings on water and power. Of course they still have landscaping crews out there for maintenance. Just because they have closed the park to the public and cut back on staffing doesn't mean they are going to let the park become neglected and overgrown.

I expect they will open it as soon as it is financially feasible. They do an awesome job of maintaining this park and it is under appreciated IMO.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Native View Post
They have shut off the Fountain of Rings which is a big savings on water and power. Of course they still have landscaping crews out there for maintenance. Just because they have closed the park to the public and cut back on staffing doesn't mean they are going to let the park become neglected and overgrown.

I expect they will open it as soon as it is financially feasible. They do an awesome job of maintaining this park and it is under appreciated IMO.
That fountain was running yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Those pumps and lights aren’t drawing 16 megawatts of power though, nor is that water being dumped straight into the sewer after one cycle (or at least I hope it isn’t), so the daily water savings should largely correspond to evaporative losses. And the fact that landscaping maintenance continues goes to my point about the need to consider costs in the context of variable use (i.e. those areas where savings can actually be realized). Please note that my skepticism isn’t directed at you personally. I suspect that whoever quoted you $40k/day was mistaken. In fact, this number looks suspiciously similar to the (combined GWCC & COP) regular operating expenses reported in the 2017 GWCCA annual report.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
Those pumps and lights aren’t drawing 16 megawatts of power though, nor is that water being dumped straight into the sewer after one cycle (or at least I hope it isn’t), so the daily water savings should largely correspond to evaporative losses. And the fact that landscaping maintenance continues goes to my point about the need to consider costs in the context of variable use (i.e. those areas where savings can actually be realized). Please note that my skepticism isn’t directed at you personally. I suspect that whoever quoted you $40k/day was mistaken. In fact, this number looks suspiciously similar to the (combined GWCC & COP) regular operating expenses reported in the 2017 GWCCA annual report.
No personal skepticism taken. Perhaps what I read was a combined report or something but it basically said between the utilities used, staffing (hourly wages/salary/benefits) for maintenance and security employees, and the daily cost for the landscaping contract it came to that figure.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 6:10 PM

They finally updated their account for Hotel Signia

Plans are in motion for GWCCA’s new headquarter hotel Signia by Hilton. Featuring close to 1,000 rooms, this luxury hotel will sit on the northwest corner of the campus, adjacent to Building C of Georgia World Congress Center, and is envisioned as an economic catalyst attracting commercial and residential growth, creating job opportunities, and boosting convention attendance. The hotel will be developed in a joint public/private venture and completes a one-stop-shop package of facilities unrivaled in North America. Expected to break ground in late 2020, Signia by Hilton is projected to open in late 2023 / early 2024 and will be the first newly-constructed Signia by Hilton in the world.

https://www.gwcca.org/about-the-gwcc...elopment/hotel

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
No personal skepticism taken. Perhaps what I read was a combined report or something but it basically said between the utilities used, staffing (hourly wages/salary/benefits) for maintenance and security employees, and the daily cost for the landscaping contract it came to that figure.
Yes, local governments cannot just print money. NYC has really cut back on services- citizens are now having to volunteer to clean the streets, and some services, like donation centers for homeless and organic waste pickup are all suspended due to blown budgets. I’m sure the GWCC is losing money hand and fist, so they need to cut back where they can. They do a wonderful job of cleaning the park/ I’m sure it would go to hell quickly if they just let people roam the space without any janitorial service.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:00 PM

Update on 1105 West Peachtree

Picture by Carol W Payne

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:11 PM

Photo by Josh Green

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:23 PM

Photo by midtownatltrekker's

Midtown Atlanta

midtownatltrekker's profile picture
midtownatltrekker
Double rainbow! #atlanta #midtownatl #midtownatlanta
on Instagram

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 9:10 PM

Montydawg, I have not heard that NYC is asking for volunteers to clean streets (not saying it isn't true—I've been away much of the summer) but I do know that alternate side street sweeping is back in service every other week. I'd happily sweep the sidewalks of my street!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 3:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 5:00 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations