HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 10:04 PM

More wind turbines.

Well it looks like we'll see more wind turbines constructed in the hills east of Idaho Falls next year. Permits are secured, environmental studies are done and now the weather just needs to warm up. If I recall correctly, this new project will double what is on the hill right now.

It's been a slow news MONTH so I figure I'd let everyone know of this.

Have a Merry XMas everyone.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 3:34 AM
Honored Member

Question Questions, Thoughts about 2006 and what 2007 will bring

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. In thinking about the new year and what has and has not been accomplished in 2006, I wanted to give those of us who post and read this thread a few ideas to discuss.

1. While Taylor's Crossing seems to be a catalyst for the changes and re-development (or just development), which other project announced or already started will make the greatest impact in Idaho Falls? The Hilton, Snake River Landing, Sunnyside being complete, The Bronze Eagles and Mountain Lion in the Roundabout at T.C. or another project?

2. Look how many of us weren't registered here last year. Congrats to all of us who have found a place to come and talk about common interests and share tidbits we may have learned.

3. How do we get additional forumers who may be able to share info about other developments besides T.C., involved here? It is wonderful to have some forumers here who most likely work for T.C. or at least can give us some new insight. Has anyone got any ideas of how to encourage others who may know more about Ball Ventures' plans or the rest of the Renaissance Center, or the Sunnyside Crossroad Regional Plaza involved here? BTW - I don't know where I missed the boat on this one, but Conrad-Bischoff is the general contractor for the Renaissance Center. No wonder they are building a Ruby River and the strip mall in the development.

4. Rumor has it a third new hotel is being planned for Idaho Falls. I've been told it will be at least a 4 star hotel. Could this be part of why Marriott is dragging their feet about the 13/14 tower Marriott Residence Inn? Is it possible another hotel could be an upscale Marriott, or from a competing hotel chain, or an independent hotel from local developers who want to build an upscale hotel? Would Ball Ventures potentially build a higher end Hilton farther south on the Snake River, since both the Hampton and the Hilton Garden Inn are obviously Hiltons and Ball Ventures seems to have a good working relationship with Hilton? If so, would that account for the HGI being a little smaller than originally announced?

5. Does anyone know how Destinations Inn is doing? It is small and patterned ultimately after the Anniversary Inn, which started in Salt Lake City years ago. Although, it sounds like Rob Bishop went the extra steps to make everything upscale. Any chance he and other local investors could be putting together a project for an upscale hotel that accomodate more guests and isn't as wedding/anniversary themed?

6. If you had to pick one project to be completed in 2007, what do you think is most important for the City of Idaho Falls and why?

7. I thought we were suppose to hear about Iogen by 12/31/06. Anyone heard anything?

Thanks for your answers. I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Per chance I forget to say it later, Happy New Year and I wish all of you happiness, health, prosperity and inspiration to build taller buildings in Idaho Falls.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 12:20 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up The Best of 2006

I know IFGuy and a few others have info they wanted to post about proposed projects and those in the works. Maybe today will be busy with new posts.

In thinking about my original question, of what I viewed as the most significant deveopment in 2006 for Idaho Falls, I've had a hard time deciding. However, given the potential for development, easier access to key areas in the city and the practical function of linking the west side of I.F. to the east, I have to say my vote for the most important project completed was The Sunnyside Interchange beng completed.

I think residents and visitors won't believe the changes in even 2-3 years. :fngerscrossed: The west side will now be a far more viable option to live and not have the perception all the shopping, restaurants, medical facilities etc. are too hard to reach from the west sde. Additionally, Melaleuca and other businesses have a presence in the area already, but I look for some commercial development soon, as more residents opt for the west side of Idaho Falls. Not everyone can afford (or wants) a $500,000- $750,000+ home in the hills of Ammon or Bonneville County.

There is tough competition for 2006, which is good. I still am interested in the views of others.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 6:22 AM
Honored Member

Question Do You Know the Answer for Gov't Agencies?

For those of you who read the Sunday PR article, or perhaps know about this project from other sources, I have a few questions about the 8B Jail Expansion.

It sounds like the cost would be $6.6M for the state pilot rehab program and the 8B Jail Expansion. I'm sure it would just cover more ground, no one would think to build up, although that would be great use for the area. Classrooms with a view would be nice.

Help me out here, if you can, because I don't know if public agencies (Sheriff's Department/Bonneville County) are eligible for lower costs when an area is designated as Urban Renewal, as the I.F. City Council did for that northern part of downtown just months ago. Do only private, non-government agencies, get the perks and breaks of this designation? Or, would this change be one reason 8B County wants the $6M jail expansion now?

Wow, if this $6.6M project could jump start redevelopment in that area, there is hope of some real change.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope to understand this better.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jan 9, 2007 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 10:13 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs down What?

What is up with Hoku? Why Pocatello?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 6:04 AM

sunB6

Following their official announcement on Jan8, Hoku Scientific has a pretty aggressive plan for building their polysilicon production facility on property just west of the Pocatello Regional Airport. A $220(m)illion investment. Three principals from Kapolei were in town, spent time with the Governor in Boise, and were introduced at a large reception later that night. Community is very excited about the prospects of a young, cutting edge, clean company coming to southeastern idaho with promises of $10(m)illion in annual payroll.
Clients are not on board as of this point and there are concerns about staffing, plentiful water and environmental discharge issues, but optimism abounds for a community which as Mayor Roger Chase says, hasn't had an acquisition like this since BE in the 80s.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 6:12 AM

sunB6

and to reply to your question about Pocatello. Put more globally, could be why Idaho? Why the United States? In August, Hoku announced they would select one of three sites in Idaho (over Singapore). They actually scanned the entire planet and felt the availability of large stretches of flat, undeveloped and reasonably-priced land, in addition to low cost energy sources and enough water to consume 700,000 to one million gallons a day, Pocatello was the place. Significant training dollars are forthcoming from the state and a generally positive support structure have Hoku saying Pocatello is the place. There are other governmental partners including Power County and the Sho-Ban Tribes as well.
Basically, the cost of doing business in southeastern Idaho leads to higher profit margins and a greater return for their shareholders. Business 101 and in this case, all of east Idaho stands to benefit. This presupposes construction and completion of the plant, a trained available workforce and continued demand on the part of clients.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:28 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Good news for Pocatello.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Good news for Pocatello.
Good news for Pokahellhole yes, but also for East Idaho and the state as well.

The more companies that relocate to Idaho or expand in Idaho the better as the overall health of the state continues to get better.

Now I can only hope that the state helps to bring Iogen to the Idaho Falls area, it has been in the "planning" stages for almost three years now but I think they need to secure financing with the DOE before things will solidify.

I love to here about skyscrapers and such but these big industrial companies are also great.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 10:39 PM

Hey, I am back from Mexico.

That is unfortunate about Hoku. I am happy for Poky, but really do not understand the reasoning.

Quote:
N2I.F .....which other project announced or already started will make the greatest impact in Idaho Falls?
IMO, I feel the Chukars field is very high on my list. It is important that we keep minor league baseball strong in Idaho Falls as we have the smallest population base of any professional baseball team in America (according to Kevin Greene). We have few entertainment options and I feel the area surrounding the ballpark needed this investment.

I love the Hilton and Sunnyside.

Also IMO, Snake River Landing is good but not great. I like the fact we are not eating up productive farm land and expansion is along the freeway and downtown corridor. However, strip mall commercial development never gets me excited. BTW, the strip mall that was built next to Ammon Wal-mart would easily take my 2006 prize for worst building/structure/development in the state of Idaho.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Honored Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
Hey, I am back from Mexico.

That is unfortunate about Hoku. I am happy for Poky, but really do not understand the reasoning.

IMO, I feel the Chukars field is very high on my list.

BTW, the strip mall that was built next to Ammon Wal-mart would easily take my 2006 prize for worst building/structure/development in the state of Idaho.

Welcome back eastidaho. Good to have your comments again as well as I.F. Guy's.

BTW - a formal welcome to sunB6 too. Got your e-mail. Thanks.

eastidaho, what is cool is we all can see different important projects and the benefits of each offers. I also agree with you the Chukars are an important part of the mix for Idaho Falls. I often read ads that state pro baseball is available and that is a QOL ingredient in recruiting the right employees.

LOL reading your worst pick for the year

Any chance that now you are back from Mexico we might be treated to additional pics? I nominate you as our best photographer to date (no offense others). You capture the challenges, in your pictures, as well the positive things happening.

I have a couple of questions for the wise ones who visit here. I've read from what I think is a reliabe source elsewhere, that Ball Ventures offered the city land by the river for a new PD Headquarters and Fire Station, and the city jumped at the chance. First, can anyone verify that? It is kind of interesting to think of those departments, and maybe the rest of the city building (I don't know beyond IFFD and IFPD) move to such a southern location in the city. If it is true, PLEASE SOMEONE SPARE US, and DON'T redevlop that old building they are currenty in. Some buildings are just better off being torn down, IMO. What could it be redeveloped into besides a "Kimball Mason Museum?

I finally made it through the 37 pages of city council minutes from the Dec. meeting. Near the end (after page 30), they talk about Nick's Trading Shop becoming a fire station as well. The Mayor confirmed that the city is in the process of buying that building for a fire station.

Could we be seeing a replacement IFFD main firestation, plus an additional one added this year? Is there the need, given the development that has occurred in the last 24 months? I find the supposed locations more than coincidental. Or, is another fire station needed worse elsewhere? I guess a southern main firestation could respond to calls quickly on the Sunnyside exit, as well as calls in southeastern I.F. where so much growth is occuring. Just wondering what you think about the needs and locations, as they are curently proposed?

Your thoughts please..................

P.S. eastidaho - in reading annexations, it sure sounds like I.F. is a lot closer to annexing the Pearl House area than Ammon. Any updates on that?

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 1:17 PM

RE: Hoku

Doesn't Pocatello have an excellant University,(Idaho State)? Often that is a big chunk of the equation when considering the proximity of a future employee pool

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 5:46 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Doesn't Pocatello have an excellant University,(Idaho State)? Often that is a big chunk of the equation when considering the proximity of a future employee pool
We'll I don't know about "excellent" University (lol, my sister and brother-in-law both work there). It's a commuter school. I think I.F. has a better and "higher educated" workforce with the various industries in the area.

ISU's a great school, and it's the public university for SE Idaho with a sizeable extension school in I.F.

Although it's only 50 miles, it is closer to Boise and SLC, but I don't know if that makes much difference in the choosing of this location.

What would entice someone to locate in IF or Poky vs. SLC, Vegas, Boise, Phoenix, etc.? Anyone have anymore details about the incentives offered?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:35 PM

I think Smiling Bob is on to something with the incentives. I know for sure that the city of Poky, Power county, and the Shoban tribe are paying for all the infrastructure needed, and as far as tax incentives, I'm sure they got a pretty sweet deal.

As far as the best development for IF in 06', I would have to put my vote on the Sunnyside Exit. I do believe that the south end of IF has needed that freeway access for along time and it should lead to further developments in the area.

And the worst development, I'm going to have to side with eastidaho on this, that strip mall next to the Ammon WalMart is hideous looking, too big, out of place, and I wouldn't be suprised if the building doesn't get any new tenants. It's one thing to develop property, it's another one to build a giant eyesore on some pretty valuable retail property. That's why I can't wait to see how the first building at Snake River Landing turns out, it looks as though it should be a very good looking one.

I wonder if anyone could get some pics of the "Green Monster" that sits next to the Ammon Walmart and post them here so that everyone can see what a pile of doo it is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
Honored Member

Unhappy Quality of Education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Delts-

Pocatello has Idaho State University. As for how "excellent," well let's say that is a RED HOT issue right now given what students report as crummy classes and teachers who are leaving or don't want to be there. Many want Eastern Idaho Technical College in Idaho Falls to be declared a Community College so basic classics can be obtained for a fraction of ISU's costs. I read recently that a few years ago for 70 RN spots, there were about 120 students who applied. Last year, apparently 80 students applied for the 70 spots. I don't think that is a positive trend.

ISU's tuition is the highest in the state. Some say more than BYU-I. Enrollment is down, despite those who commute from Idaho Falls (and honestly, probably some are finishing degrees at BYU-I, given the "quality" and cost). To the best of my knowledge, ISU is not ranked high on NIH, NIMH or other governmental and private sources of funding. It isn't like the universities in Utah and indeed many students go to Utah Universities, which probably skews the student population even more.

ISU is parterning with other programs like EITC to offer an RN program in Idaho Falls. IMO, the programs they partner with others are much stronger than what is found solely in Pocatello.

But, ISU has a very ambitious new president who likes to give everything a positive spin.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jan 12, 2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
I think Smiling Bob is on to something with the incentives. I know for sure that the city of Poky, Power county, and the Shoban tribe are paying for all the infrastructure needed, and as far as tax incentives, I'm sure they got a pretty sweet deal.

Amen, IFguy. I read the "package" and who is absorbing what costs too. Not exactly "fair" competition in my book. Also, Pocatello's airport has lost out in commercial passenger traffic, compared to Idaho Falls having 5 airlines with direct connections. When Big Sky's Turbo Prop 18 seaters are the only airline seats available from Pocatello 2 Boise, well you decide. Plus, SkyWest doesn't fly nearly as many flights to Pocatello as Idaho Falls. Poky airport may easily end up being another Love Field.

As far as the best development for IF in 06', I would have to put my vote on the Sunnyside Exit. I do believe that the south end of IF has needed that freeway access for along time and it should lead to further developments in the area. My choice too for the same reasons, but must admit, eastidaho has a valuable point with Melaleuka Field. Thanks to both of you for your views.

And the worst development, I'm going to have to side with eastidaho on this, that strip mall next to the Ammon WalMart is hideous looking, too big, out of place ---UGH!
It's one thing to develop property, it's another one to build a giant eyesore on some pretty valuable retail property.
What do you expect next to WalMart? Who developed that "structure" anyway?

I wonder if anyone could get some pics of the "Green Monster" that sits next to the Ammon Walmart and post them here so that everyone can see what a pile of doo it is.

I BEG ALL OF YOU TO SKIP IFGuy's last REQUEST!!!!!!! Why pollute this site?

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jan 13, 2007 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 1:27 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

ISU ranks high in their accounting and nursing programs; nothing to brag about but they do have their kudos. They also have a very beautiful new performing arts center. ISU has always been the little brother to both Boise State and the University of Idaho so it kind of lacks the prominence the other two state universities have. I would put ISU in the same league as Utah State in Logan.

It is ironic that Idaho Falls wants a community college when it is the Eastern Idaho lawmakers who most oppose community colleges within the state and think that more attention should be placed on ISU and expanding its programs to more areas of SE Idaho.

I also would not judge the quality of ISU's nursing program because they had fewer applicants one year compared to another. There is a nursing shortgage everywhere and many universities are trying to attract would be students to their nursing programs.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 2:14 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
ISU ranks high in their accounting and nursing programs; nothing to brag about but they do have their kudos. They also have a very beautiful new performing arts center. ISU has always been the little brother to both Boise State and the University of Idaho so it kind of lacks the prominence the other two state universities have. I would put ISU in the same league as Utah State in Logan. I WOULDN'T agree that ISU can compares to USU at all!
Sawtooth, Have you attended USU? With almost 20,000 students and bursting at their seams compared to ISU's declining 13 - 14,000 enrollment (that includes every satellite, not just Poky), there are trends that can't be ignored. I think the USU Virology/Molecular Biology with major NIH fuding, let alone education, speech pathology and so many other BA/BS and Ph.D degrees USU far above any ID institution. Their joint work with Thiokol is literally "Rocket Science."

You are right Sawtooth (from what I know - not being in accouting) that accounting is a nationally ranked program at ISU. Others have been in the past, but it where those programs are today that matters. I can't find ISU high in many national rankings CURRENTLY.

It is ironic that Idaho Falls wants a community college when it is the Eastern Idaho lawmakers who most oppose community colleges within the state and think that more attention should be placed on ISU and expanding its programs to more areas of SE Idaho. RIGHT AGAIN. But, give us credit, we're working on them. ISU Could be ok if they would offer far more quality educators and CHEAPER classes in Idaho Falls; however, did you see the costs of tuition at ISU in Pocatello for this next semester? I'm dumbfounded. I'll check what USU's would be for a resident.

"I also would not judge the quality of ISU's nursing program because they had fewer applicants one year compared to another. There is a nursing shortgage everywhere and many universities are trying to attract would be students to their nursing programs.
You are correct about the shortage, but the person who shared this info with me was making the point currently enrolled classmates of his refused to apply to ISU's nursing program, given "changes, " shall I say? They've applied to other ID programs and plenty in UT, but don't want an ISU degree as the program is currently. Sorry I wasn't clear enough about that before.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:21 AM

What type of company is HOKU?

If it's industrial, that's okay that Pocatello got it, because Pocatello's air is terrible!

But it's still good for Poky.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
Honored Member

Post ISU = USU - I Don't Think So

From Sawtooth, "ISU has always been the little brother to both Boise State and the University of Idaho so it kind of lacks the prominence the other two state universities have. I would put ISU in the same league as Utah State in Logan."

Sawtooth, This is the most accurate info I could get. If you have something different to add, please do.

All this info is from NNDB/Edu and each university's respective website.

ISU Founded: 1901; FT Enrollment: 13,802 (Down from last year); F/T Resident Tuition:$2,095.00/semester

USU Founded: 1888; FT Enrollment: 23,500 ResidentTuition: $1,573/semester.
Just to be complete for those who have never compared:

BSU Founded: 1941; BSU enrollment:*18,500 students; Resident Tuition $2,077/semester.
*On the BSU website, it didn't clarify how many of those students were either p/t, or participating in the program where high school students are educated in their high schools and given BSU credits, if the students continue their education at BSU. .

Boise State has ~ 5,000 less students than Utah State and is more expensive. I don't understand how ISU can be seen as comparable to USU, across the board. Each university has outstanding programs; there are just far less at ISU than USU. And USU is getting close to have double the students ISU does.

Maybe Sawtooth, Delts and others haven't had the opportunity to keep up with the USU. Hopefully, this will help

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jan 14, 2007 at 3:30 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West