HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Gardena is also where I've had Okinawan food.
Gosh, I had to live in Okinawa for a year to have “Okinawan” food, in spite of now living in a city with a large Japanese-American population (that was larger before so many were ripped out of it in the 1940s).

PS: in your comments about Southern CA, please remember there’s another major metro up north.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
OMG what did we do now? Just Californiaing all over the place?
Isn’t the term “Californicating”?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You cant help yourself LMAO, yes California "made" me recycle and I hated it because obviously I hate the environment and probably the minorities.
It also made you stop smoking in restaurants (and by now anywhere indoors), pretty nearly kept you from vaping, almost destroyed your ability to use Uber/Lyft (even though it invented them) and by 2030 is going to force you to own an electric car. In compensation though, it told you smoking marijuana was fine, even indoors.

Oh, and there’s the gay marriage thing. CA’s current governor was doing it before it was kool (and then some wild and crazy Californicators took it to court).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:32 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
You cant help yourself LMAO, yes California "made" me recycle and I hated it because obviously I hate the environment and probably the minorities.
Well what did we do that was so bad? Is it something to do with our politics? If so that is CE and there are areas in CA that are not....what you would expect politically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Isn’t the term “Californicating”?
That's what came to me, but it's our detractors that should come up with the derogatory name for us. I can just see it though, some Californian storming into a building and demanding everybody save energy and turn off the lights.

Last edited by TWAK; Mar 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Nobody hates California, its probably one of the pest slices of territory on earth.

Everyone hates Californians, the people, and its well deserved
You're speaking for 8 billion people?
On the flip side to this, there are definitely people from certain states that are unlikable to alot of people as well.
And that's well deserved .

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:

"Everyone" west of the Rockiest "hates" CA, "everyone" east of the Rockies "hates" the tri-state, "everyone" in the mid-south "hates" TX and "everyone" in the Great Lakes "hates" FIBs. It's just a numbers game. Biggest population centers will be most visible.

And everyone, everywhere, shits on Floriduh.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:20 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
LOL I mean they're going psychotic in this thread. Can't even have a casual conversation without them attacking you and gaslighting.
I don't think the best way to start a casual conversation is to say "everyone hates Californians" in a thread proving that not as many people are leaving CA as we have been told.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:22 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Says the guy who hijacks every California thread to say how much he hates it.
You're trolling and we all know it.
I'd like to see what exactly they hate...it's the "politics"...right? It has gotta be...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Yup, it's exactly what he does. And he's never even been here.

Imagine one of us constantly going into Detroit threads to say something about Abandonedment. I know for a fact he'd get defensive.
I've already seen it.
Look, it would be a tough choice if you could live anywhere: On the one hand, Detroit and on the other, oh, let's say Santa Barbara. Could you decide?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:59 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Look at the Californian Fragility on display in this thread.

Sad. Many Such casses.
You fear Californian power and it's influence, but I can't say things like that here. Gotta be nice! So, can you give me a list of 10 things California ruined, and if it's legit I'll move.
Well not really, who would want to actually leave CA ?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Nope, we're annoyed.
And I remember you getting defensive over Phoenix.
ALOT.
The tragedy is that California sometimes seems overrun with Arizonans. I meet them all the time, usually recent grads who packed up their degree from ASU or UA and headed for the coast. The migration in the other direction is mainly an older crowd, selling the California homes they bought for $20K in the 1960s for maybe $1.2 million and buying something in AZ for $200K, expecting to live off the $1 million (plus Social Security) for the rest of their lives.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Look, it would be a tough choice if you could live anywhere: On the one hand, Detroit and on the other, oh, let's say Santa Barbara. Could you decide?
The question might actually be harder to answer than you think, at least to an unbiased foreigner.

I once went over there to Santa Barbara. We actually drove all the Californian coast from SF to LA. It was sure cool, good memories. We saw no ruins at all, even though LA and SF can be strangely gritty. People were friendly and all, but I'll tell you what, it's not the same charm as the French or Italian Rivieras... It's just different.

Next time I travel the US, I'll pick the Midwest, Detroit and so on over California. Just because I've never visited them yet, and spending some money over there might as well be fair.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
You fear Californian power and it's influence, but I can't say things like that here. Gotta be nice! So, can you give me a list of 10 things California ruined, and if it's legit I'll move.
Well not really, who would want to actually leave CA ?
He can start with food. California ruined my appreciation for Chinese food from a Chop Suey palace in a strip mall.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
The question might actually be harder to answer than you think, at least to an unbiased foreigner.

I once went over there to Santa Barbara. We actually drove all the Californian coast from SF to LA. It was sure cool, good memories. We saw no ruins at all, even though LA and SF can be strangely gritty. People were friendly and all, but I'll tell you what, it's not the same charm as the French or Italian Rivieras... It's just different.

Next time I travel the US, I'll pick the Midwest, Detroit and so on over California. Just because I've never visited them yet, and spending some money over there might as well be fair.
If you're traveling in winter, take a good parka to Detroit. You might need a sweater in Santa Barbara.

Let's face it. America is newer. If you are seeking "charm" based on history and old old culture, don't come here at all. Americans go to Europe for that (and are sometimes disappointed when they visit someplace that was bombed out in WW II and rebuilt looking a lot like what's back home). But the northern Mediterranean coast, from Spain all the way to Turkey, emerged from the war pretty much intact and with all its charm. So yeah. But don't try to start a tech company there or build a new fortune.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:

I once went over there to Santa Barbara........ People were friendly and all, but I'll tell you what, it's not the same charm as the French or Italian Rivieras... It's just different.

Thanks for your honest opinion, yes Santa Barbara is different than the French and Italian Riviera and it should be. It would be rather boring to visit and it’s exactly the same. I’ve been to the French Riviera and although I did see similarities to California, but as you said it is different. I like them both for different reasons. The water is definitely much prettier in the French Riviera, it has more of light blue color that reminds me of a swimming pool whereas California ocean water it’s more of a darker blue color. One reason the water in California is not as warm as a French Riviera. Santa Barbara on the other hand climate is a bit more comfortable, less humid and cooler. The French Riviera was more humid and warmer. Again I really enjoyed my visit to the French Riviera but I also love the beauty of Santa Barbara and definitely could see similarities especially the vegetation was similar in both areas.

Next time you come I definitely would recommend you visit the Midwest, I hear Michigan can be beautiful although I’ve never visit that state, but I’ve been to many other parts of the Midwest, Chicago(Lived here briefly) St. Louis (wife born and raised), Kansas City(mother raised), Milwaukee and I definitely enjoyed my visits to these cities.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
But don't try to start a tech company there or build a new fortune.
They're building brand new biz districts in Marseille and Nice right now.
Granted, you'd probably need a few skilled lawyers to deal with the EU and local regulations, but other than that, the law is stable, democratic and fairly predictable, so I think new fortunes are quite possible over those spots.

It's not like they were doomed and forever belonged to the past, huh. That's only stereotypes. There are people hungry for new business anywhere.
Especially in my country, actually.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
They're building brand new biz districts in Marseille and Nice right now.
Granted, you'd probably need a few skilled lawyers to deal with the EU and local regulations, but other than that, the law is stable, democratic and fairly predictable, so I think new fortunes are quite possible over those spots.

It's not like they were doomed and forever belonged to the past, huh. That's only stereotypes. There are people hungry for new business anywhere.
Especially in my country, actually.
More than lawyers, what all would-be tech zones need, in Europe and the US and everywhere, that almost none has like CA does is venture capital . . . very rich people willing to put money in startup businesses that are losing money and probably will lose money for years. CA has them because it has the earlier generations of successful tech multimillionaires and billionaires; people who appreciate the possibilities because they made their money that way.

Incidentally, I didn't say being steeped in history caused one to be doomed. As I did say, it attracts tourists literally by the busload (and planeload and shipload) and by itself it doesn't inhibit the new. But it doesn't foster or stimulate it either. It's the visionary money in CA that stimulates that.

Since you mentioned lawyers, though, that's what San Francisco, my town, provided the tech world in the early days. SF's office buildings were full of tech and finance guys and many still are although a lot of tech is moving out of funky bare brick-walled rehabbed warehouses in South of Market into the high-rises too (or at least they were before they started working from home and I think will again). As you probably know, our city's tallest building is named after and mostly inhabited by a tech giant.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Nobody hates California, its probably one of the pest slices of territory on earth.

"Californians don't deserve to live in California, I deserve to live in California!"

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
"Californians don't deserve to live in California, I deserve to live in California!"
It reminds me of those oddball Arizonans who want California to fall in the ocean so they can have ocean front property lmao.
Wackos. Like the desert on the ocean would be as desirable anyway.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Thanks for your honest opinion, yes Santa Barbara is different than the French and Italian Riviera and it should be. It would be rather boring to visit and it’s exactly the same. I’ve been to the French Riviera and although I did see similarities to California, but as you said it is different. I like them both for different reasons. The water is definitely much prettier in the French Riviera, it has more of light blue color that reminds me of a swimming pool whereas California ocean water it’s more of a darker blue color. One reason the water in California is not as warm as a French Riviera. Santa Barbara on the other hand climate is a bit more comfortable, less humid and cooler. The French Riviera was more humid and warmer. Again I really enjoyed my visit to the French Riviera but I also love the beauty of Santa Barbara and definitely could see similarities especially the vegetation was similar in both areas.
They both have a mediterranean climate but the northern pacific is a much colder body of water and that makes all the difference - the darker water color, the coastal fog and harsh winter storms. But above all the difference is that when you're standing on the California coast, it can really feel remote, even when you're in the city, like you're standing on the edge of the world. That's because, well, you are. It's half way around the world before you hit land again.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions