HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Explain it to me then.
There is sufficient research available on the topic, easy to find, you just have to open your mind; that could be the sticking point. It you don't understand at this point, I'm doubtful whether that will change.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:12 PM

A less gritty, other part of the North End:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

^ That bench is made of solid granite

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

I was at an 'open' planning meeting and another citizen spoke up about all the construction of "high rises". I responded with some of them will be a nice addition and I used the example of Monaghan Square as it was under the early phase of construction at the time. Her response was something to the effect of "...that monstrosity...".

Three points that I have:
1. I don't consider 18 stories is a "high rise", although I don't know what the definition is.
2. This replaced a crappy strip mall built in the 60's. There are no houses on this block and I feel it adds a great place for people to live and returns some new and interesting retail options for the gritty north end.
3. It doesn't look like a monstrosity to me.

I'm not a fan of the look of the "high rise" on Demone and Robie, however I had my morning coffee there this morning in a rather nice cafe located in this building. Another great addition to the "gritty north end".

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by here4theride View Post
I'm not a fan of the look of the "high rise" on Demone and Robie, however I had my morning coffee there this morning in a rather nice cafe located in this building. Another great addition to the "gritty north end".
The new construction does seem to be bringing in more shops, services, and amenities. This is a reason to permit more density. Basically, you're not going to create a "100 walk score" neighbourhood by permitting the odd townhouses or boutique shops. And the reality of physical commercial businesses today is that you need a lot more customers nearby than you did in 1950, because the suburbanites are not all coming downtown to shop and lots of people are buying stuff online. The vibrant neighbourhood commercial strip needs to be supported by a mix of medium and high density developments, not just houses.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here4theride View Post
I like everything about that one other than the materials (even with a better thought-out colour scheme it could have looked a lot better). It looks great at dusk with the sunset reflecting off the balconies, and kind of meh during the day. The base is the more attractive part.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:32 PM

Good pics Hali. I was just watching a video the other day and I could see those buildings in the background. I would like to see more buildings like this on the peninsula.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Good pics Hali. I was just watching a video the other day and I could see those buildings in the background. I would like to see more buildings like this on the peninsula.
It seems like there will be a lot more of these types of buildings in this particular neighbourhood within a few years - there are several projects of a similar scale and concept already planned (Windsor/Bayers + Midtown North + a couple on Robie) and a lot of large properties with low-intensity uses that will probably see similar proposals eventually. It's almost hard to imagine Kempt Road and Young between Robie and Windsor not getting built-out with buildings like these, eventually.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos