HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:12 PM

Highway 113 | Proposed

I didn't see a thread for this so ...

I'll add in some information later but there is an open house happening soon for the proposed 9.9km freeway between Exit 3 (Hammonds Plains) and Exit 4 (Tantallon) on Highways 102 and 103 respectively.

Open House for Proposed Highway 113
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
January 22, 2010 10:31 AM

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal will hold a public open house as part of an on-going environmental assessment process for the proposed Highway 113.

During the open house, plans will be displayed and feedback will be received on an environmental assessment report for the proposed project.

The open house will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 26, at the Cornerstone Wesleyan Church, 1215 Hammonds Plains Rd., from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The proposed Highway 113 would connect Highway 103 just north of Exit 4 to Highway 102 between Exits 2 and 3.

Staff from the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, Halifax Regional Municipality, the Department of Natural Resources and Dillon Consulting will be at the open house to answer questions.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:23 PM

i see the convenience to this proposal, but not how necessary it really is.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
i see the convenience to this proposal, but not how necessary it really is.

You obviously have never driven on the Hammonds Plains Road in that case.

This is desperately required.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You obviously have never driven on the Hammonds Plains Road in that case.

This is desperately required.
Really? You do realize this will cost more than the new Central Library, right?

I'm very wary about this highway. The demand for it came about as a result of awful low-density development like Kingwood and I fear that it will only lead to more of those types of subdivisions (hence why they are building it to 4-lane divided freeway standards, which certainly isn't necessary at the moment).

Aside from it being redundant, beneficial to few, and very expensive

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Really? You do realize this will cost more than the new Central Library, right?

I'm very wary about this highway. The demand for it came about as a result of awful low-density development like Kingwood and I fear that it will only lead to more of those types of subdivisions (hence why they are building it to 4-lane divided freeway standards, which certainly isn't necessary at the moment).

Aside from it being redundant, beneficial to few, and very expensive
i personally live in one of the areas mentioned, and i for one believe this is not needed right now. Maybe 10 years from now. I agree certain areas in this area are low density, but the HRM could have dealt with that by forcing developers to install infastructure or not be allowed to develop.

Of the highway projects within the HRM boundaries the Burnside expressway is more important. If this one gets built (113) before the expressway (may i add was announced in 1980's) the city and the province will further prove how much they are disorganized, lack vision, and well show their complete and utter incompetence. The province and HRM should be doing everything to support one of the largest economic generators the province has (burnside).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
i personally live in one of the areas mentioned, and i for one believe this is not needed right now. Maybe 10 years from now. I agree certain areas in this area are low density, but the HRM could have dealt with that by forcing developers to install infastructure or not be allowed to develop.
Another 10 years is probably what it will take to bring this to reality. Saying what HRM "could have done" is pretty pointless, since they did not do those things.

Quote:
If this one gets built (113) before the expressway (may i add was announced in 1980's) the city and the province will further prove how much they are disorganized, lack vision, and well show their complete and utter incompetence.
I don't think anyone here will argue that point -- certainly not me.

Quote:
The province and HRM should be doing everything to support one of the largest economic generators the province has (burnside).
Just yesterday on this forum there were people posting about how bad Burnside was and that it should not exist. I disagree, but it is important to note that some people -- likely NSCAD planning students -- do not see the value in such development.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 1:30 PM
we built this city

I bet Burnside has more economic impact than downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Another 10 years is probably what it will take to bring this to reality. Saying what HRM "could have done" is pretty pointless, since they did not do those things.

I don't think anyone here will argue that point -- certainly not me.

Just yesterday on this forum there were people posting about how bad Burnside was and that it should not exist. I disagree, but it is important to note that some people -- likely NSCAD planning students -- do not see the value in such development.
NASCAD doesn't have a planning program. It was moved up to Dalhousie almost ten years ago and has evolved into the Bachelor of Community Design program and the Masters of Planning.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I bet Burnside has more economic impact than downtown.
funny you mention that, the fact is its pretty close. Closer then people believe it to be, or should i say want it to be.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't say Burnside shouldn't exist - I object to it being expanded so wastefully and I object to big-box retail development out that way. Nobody said Burnside shouldn't exist. I don't go to NSCAD.

I don't understand why a much-needed central library constitutes "out-of-control spending" in your mind but a redundant highway of comparable cost and questionable necessity doesn't. Do you live out in the Hammonds Plains area, Keith?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 9:41 PM

I would think that Kingswood benefits the least from this. On the contrary, it would put a number of nice and quiet homes in Kingswood adjacent to a freeway. The highway is useful only for people travelling the 102 and heading for the South Shore (or at least Tantallon) or the other way around.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
I would think that Kingswood benefits the least from this. On the contrary, it would put a number of nice and quiet homes in Kingswood adjacent to a freeway. The highway is useful only for people travelling the 102 and heading for the South Shore (or at least Tantallon) or the other way around.
The highway would cut traffic levels on the route to and from Kingswood, the 213:

Quote:
The only alternative is the Hammonds Plains Road (Route 213); through truck traffic is prohibited there. Traffic Volumes on Hammonds Plains Road are in the area of 12000-15000 vehicles per day.

To reduce the travel time for trucks and others, a 10-km long, 100-series highway connection (Highway 113) from Highway 103 near the Sheldrake Lake Interchange (Exit 4) to Highway 102 near the Hammonds Plains Road Interchange (Exit 3) is proposed. This would reduce the travel distance from Highway 103 to Highway 102 by approximately 13 km, a travel time savings of 8 to 10 minutes.

Highway 113 would also significantly reduce through non-truck traffic on Hammonds Plains Road. It's estimated the proposed highway would reduce traffic there by approximately 3500 to 5500 vehicles per day (at today's volumes).

In addition, an interchange at Kearney Lake Road would improve access to the 100-series highway network and meet the anticipated needs of expanding development in the area.

http://www.kingswood.ca/community/113.html
There is only one street in Kingswood that you might consider to be next to the alignment, and even then the houses are 150-350 metres away from it.

http://gov.ns.ca/nse/ea/highway113/H..._Alignment.pdf

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I don't understand why a much-needed central library constitutes "out-of-control spending" in your mind but a redundant highway of comparable cost and questionable necessity doesn't. Do you live out in the Hammonds Plains area, Keith?
No, I am just terrified any time I try to travel the Hammonds Plains Road, which is something out of the 1940s and badly obsolete and overloaded. There iws no logical argument against a new highway given what exists out thqt way, regardless of how much you may not like it. It is there, it is not going away, and the resulting traffic must be accommodated.

I do not oppose the concept of a new central library. I do object to the way Judith Hare is manipulating the process to get a gold-plated facility that will be a monument to herself at great cost to taxpayers.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 2:59 AM

Quote:

I do not oppose the concept of a new central library. I do object to the way Judith Hare is manipulating the process to get a gold-plated facility that will be a monument to herself at great cost to taxpayers.
I too believe there is a need for a central libary, but not until Peter gets his spending under control.... People need to wake up and realize that a lot of the funds for these developments assumes there will be an increase in property tax revenue and other revenue. If anyone hasn't noticed, things aren't growing here.

Remember, new central libary will cost $510.00 a square foot. International place would be $200.00. Even a person with half a brain could see the number is out of this world...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 6:14 AM

Quote:
No, I am just terrified any time I try to travel the Hammonds Plains Road, which is something out of the 1940s and badly obsolete and overloaded. There iws no logical argument against a new highway given what exists out thqt way, regardless of how much you may not like it. It is there, it is not going away, and the resulting traffic must be accommodated.

Lol you think driving it is bad? Try biking it!

I'm support of leaving the highway plan for another decade or two and instead widening the HPR to Pockwock.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 1:50 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post

Remember, new central libary will cost $510.00 a square foot. International place would be $200.00. Even a person with half a brain could see the number is out of this world...
Wow, that is a solid metric and clearly indicates overspending.

I'm actually against the library operating a cafe or any type of business. They should be building retail fronts on SGR and collecting revenue streams from private businesses that rent. That way it reduces risk and doesn't have the city directly competiting against local businesses.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 7:56 PM

i think this is the proposed 113 correct me if im wrong.

Residents oppose Highway 103 connector

Opponents of a proposed connector road to Highway 103 say it will mean more development along Nova Scotia's South Shore.

More than 200 people gathered at the Black Point Fire Hall Wednesday night to hear more about a plan to twin the busy highway in the St. Margaret's Bay area.

David Wimberly and others argue that a new exit and connector road into the scenic coastal area could be disastrous.

"What it will do is allow a lot more traffic to come into the area and new developments and open up areas for ecological destruction," said Wimberly.

About 10,000 vehicles travel the highway each day, according to the province. There have been a number of fatal crashes, including one two years ago when three men were killed in a head-on collision.

Proponents of the connector road say it will ensure quicker access to emergency care for people living in the area.

The province has come up with four possible routes. But Bill Estabrooks, minister of transportation and infrastructure renewal, said it's too early to decide about the connector.

"The highway from Exit 5 to Exit 6 needs to be twinned because of the volumes that are on it. The connector and the various options that are being presented, there has been no decision on that yet," he said.

Estabrooks said he expects construction on Highway 103 to begin next year.

He said if there is resistance to the idea of a connector road, he'll recommend that it be scrapped.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...ghway-103.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:05 PM

^Thats actually about a Boutlier's Point Connector. Its a new interchange between Exits 5 and 6 for when they twin it in the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:09 PM

lol ok wasnt sure and i gues there isnt a thread for that then

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 10:28 PM

Does anyone have info on the connection between the 101, and 102? (At least I'm guessing thats what it is, as they are putting in the overpasses on 102, and the 101.) I seen a thread about a 102 interchange at Larry Uteck Boulevard, but I'm not sure if thats it.

Thanks. I just want to see some info on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure