HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:12 PM
Registered

^ It has been very common in Chicago for developers to do something similar - usually real stone at the bottom two floors and then painted cast-in-place above that. It has also been done with precast systems.

Generally, the look is even more disappointing, because the transition is noticeable. It seems to say, "We wanted to use this other stuff, but the money wasn't there."

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 5:26 PM
mmmmkay

But with as good as the precast is for this building, it could have be done the right way I think.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:05 PM
Registered

^ You can always see the transition... because the natural variation in the stone is lacking in the precast. To make it really match, you'd probably be working to make the stone look more like the precast than vice-versa, and that seems counterproductive.

I think most of us have not been arguing against precast, but against the attempt to fool the eye into thinking that the precast is stone. So, this solution also seems to lead down the path further into illusion. I'd rather see the building try to identify the unique demands of precast and exploit them for a new aesthetic effect.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:13 PM
mmmmkay

If it were to work the design shouldn't be for the precast to match the stone exactly. A color or texture change would need to happen so that the precast can be precast and the stone to do what it wants to do. The materials need to compliment each other not fight against it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:33 PM
Registered

^ Definitely agree with that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 9:12 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
.....I think most of us have not been arguing against precast, but against the attempt to fool the eye into thinking that the precast is stone. So, this solution also seems to lead down the path further into illusion. I'd rather see the building try to identify the unique demands of precast and exploit them for a new aesthetic effect.
Absolutely - precast is an excellent cladding material with its own interesting & exploitable qualities.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 3:24 AM

The more I think about this building the more I think it might be just in the wrong location. It would look really nice in Lincoln Park I think. More the style for Lincoln Park I think

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 5:23 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Ah, but Lincoln Park is already getting one of its own:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128596

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:46 PM

I know and I love Lincoln Park 2520, but just imagine how great these would look next to each other. Would create a much needed change for Lincoln Park. I am excited to watch Lincoln Park become the Luxury Neighborhood it used to be. Its about time they made it start to look more like central park in NY.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:51 PM
BANNED

^^^ What are you talking about? Lincoln Park still is a luxury neighborhood... The only neighborhood more "luxury" than it is the Gold Coast, which is directly adjacent to it to the south... If Lincoln Park is not luxury, then 90% of Chicago is slums...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ What are you talking about? Lincoln Park still is a luxury neighborhood... The only neighborhood more "luxury" than it is the Gold Coast, which is directly adjacent to it to the south... If Lincoln Park is not luxury, then 90% of Chicago is slums...
I wasnt saying that is isnt Luxury, but nothing like Lincoln Park 2520 has been on the market in Lincoln Park for a long time. Prices in Lincoln Park 2520 are similar to that of the prices in the Spire. Thats all I meant is more Ultra Luxury places like this should be built! The Gold Coast is getting a little full...so multi millionaires will hopefully move to the Park next

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 7:30 AM
BANNED

^^^ Oh, my bad, but you should say nothing new of this caliber has been on the market recently.

BALCONY RAILING:

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:33 AM

Smile

surely better than the ones Aqua is getting.

PS: Nice Update Nowhereman1280

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:55 AM
Teutonic Barbar

Thanks for the update! Looks fine so far. Those balconies don't try to imitate something, yet they look pretty classy.
What about the condo status? Did they already manage to rent everything?

Btw: Lincoln Park 2520 looks great. Another fine Lucien Lagrange composition that really compliments Chicagos' classical skyscraper architecture.
Just take a look at the video on its homepage! It may seem pretty nouveau-riche, but... who cares? I'd move there in a minute, if they'd build it over here in Neubrandenburg

Last edited by erbsenzaehler; Jun 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 10:08 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
...I think most of us have not been arguing against precast, but against the attempt to fool the eye into thinking that the precast is stone. So, this solution also seems to lead down the path further into illusion. I'd rather see the building try to identify the unique demands of precast and exploit them for a new aesthetic effect.
Absolutely - precast is an excellent cladding material with its own interesting & exploitable qualities.
I definitely agree with this. I see the sculptural possibilities that Precast has, unique from other materials currently available.
In order to allow precast to mature as a facade material, the architects need to look at it as a new material, not as a facsimile of wood, brick, or stone. They need to have the guts to say 'yes, this is a new(ish) material, and we are going to treat it as such.'

sorry if I repeated myself a bit.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:00 AM

Taken last weekend: (Unedited)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:59 AM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
surely better than the ones Aqua is getting.

PS: Nice Update Nowhereman1280
I thought the same thing - Nice balconies railings. Aqua's are such a letdown. These are just flat out high end. Nice detail touch with edge of the balcony painted black as well.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:36 PM

This might be a stupid question to some, but how do they attach the precast sections to the building? Concrete, bolts, glue ....???
I'm not very familiar with precast work on high rises.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:25 PM
mmmmkay

OOOO...OOOOO...PICK ME!

Welded or bolted are the current most used methods. Welding sometimes doesn't work well when the building needs to "breathe". Bolted connections can be designed to let the building expand and contract as it needs to. The section below shows how we most typically hang a spandrel off of a column.

I did notice in this picture then they will be hanging the small pieces off of the tube steel that that was welded on to the vertical precast piece. I have circled it in the pic for you. I will look back at the rest of the thread when I get a chance to see if any other pics will show me what they are using for this project.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 7:25 PM

While always short on time to get involved in some big discussion, I will leave a few points of interest for you all to ponder. From the time a residential building starts to the time it is finished it is all about money. You could design a 700 foot building with stone,cast iron and all the old crafted ways of the turn of the century. Craftsmenship would be remarkable people would be envious of the wealthy buyers. As years go by and the building ages through the seasons and warranty items expire, maintenance will have to be done. Buildings owned by large corporations come to mind Tribune tower, Standard Oil, Channel 7 news building, you get the point, whos going to pay 10 20 30 million plus facade maintenance? Why of course the condo owners and their assessment fees. Now just use that one example of thinking and plug it into about 30 posts on this forumn and now you will know why things are built the way they are built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture