HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 2:52 AM

^^^ Its like a ground-zero of Luxury - Barney's New York, Elysian, 10 East Delaware, and Walton on the Park.

Is the the Elysian just going straight up like that? No set-backs?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPrecaster View Post
Nope...I'm all in for using precast. People generally don't have a clue about precast or how it works so any exposure we get is all the better

That's real easy to say when you are not the one paying the bill.

Ok then let’s clear this project up then. This project appears to be fabricated out of what we call architectural precast. That means no gray concrete is used in the visible exterior. So we are talking colored concrete that will not be painted at anytime. I also suspect that an acid etching has been applied to the surface of the panels to give it some texture when you touch it.

So far what I see from these pictures is absolutely master craftsmanship of the work. To build the forms with such deep relief and moldings takes a true quality producer. You guys really need to educate yourself about the precast used in this project. There is NOTHING cheap about what you have seen so far. You may not like the style but it looks like high quality work and I can certainly give it some respect.

Yes....it really is that expensive. Natural stone is tremendously labor intensive. I can't imagine any project that puts limestone cheaper then precast. We have in the past attached granite to the face of our projects to get the best of both worlds.

Precast is still better here because you just can't haul a 10x40ft piece of limestone around on a truck without the likelyhood of it breaking. Precast is also used as a structural member in lots of cases. In this day and age limestone would only be used as a skin and would not carry any loads of the building.
Hey Colo, just wanted to say I hope you check back and post periodically as the cladding progresses, it's interesting to read the thoughts and knowledge someone who "knows what he's talking about" in this regard.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:01 PM
mmmmkay

You can count on that one. I still am relatively new to the site and this would be the first precast clad high-rise that I get to follow along with.

I'll be checking with our industry periodicals to see if there will be anything else to add as the project goes along.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:01 AM

Smile Update online

Hiya guys,

after a while it was time to make a lil update video for this nice one:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=M3W_clmD2n8

Music: Mike Nero - Loops & Tings (2008 Mix)

ENJOY!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:50 AM

From a different angle . . .

I hope to be posting more views in the near future. This angle will show three different buildings under construction at the same time. . .

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:03 AM

^^ It's looking pretty tall. After seeing this one in the ground for so long, its progress now is exciting. I'm excited to see how this European courtyard will turn out.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I hate three people: George Bush, Hillary Clinton and Lucien Lagrange.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:42 PM

Quote:
^Why? Are you saying you don't like someone that designs buildings with concrete slabs that have had machines press seam patterns into them so as to trick people into thinking that he is using genuine masonry, and then the outcome ends up looking so contrived and insincere as to be insulting to one's intelligence and aesthetic sensibilities? Man, you're such a snob...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

oooooooohhhhh fancy! now that is world-class.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:16 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:28 PM

I'll admit, perhaps this is just an optical illusion of sorts, but I actually think the pre-cast concrete panels look pretty decent. I wish there was a wee bit more variation is color to make them resemble limestone, however.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:38 PM

Maybe I'm just an unsophisticated boob, but last time I was there, I was looking at the Elysian panels and the limestone on 900 N. Michigan, and not seeing a whole lot of difference in appearance, not enough to get excited about.

I don't want every building from now till the end of time to be shiny blue glass. (yes I know the area needs blue glass, separate argument)
So if it's this or painted concrete, I say this is fine.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:51 PM

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Agreed! haha

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 8:44 PM

you guys are crazy. 95% of people won't be able to tell the difference or won't care. The slabs look fine. you gotta have respect for people in the precast business, too

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 8:53 PM

I'm not really concerned about 95% of the people; I don't like it and the fact that other people do does nothing to ease my pain. I have respect for people that make a living by producing/installing the materials used to construct the Elysian, but I don't have much respect for the general decline in craftsmanship in high-rise construction that has come about because of the ever-increasing desire to produce things in a manner that is as low-cost as possible. This trend is obviously not the work of single parties nor that of even whole industries--it is much larger and more complicated than that. So I guess applying the phrase "I don't have respect for" to the issue isn't really appropriate--it would be quite abstract to say that I don't have respect for a cultural and economic shift. I will, however, concede that Elysian looks leagues better than a lot of the other shit in that area (there are a couple of high-rises on Delaware that are just...I can't even begin to describe), but I would say that as far as future developments go in the area (one that is of very high land value), if this were the bare-minimum of craftsmanship and finish I would be content. That is probably unlikely, though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 8:56 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
...concrete slabs that have had machines press seam patterns into them so as to trick people into thinking that he is using genuine masonry...
I hope you are joking about this part of your post. If not then you haven't a clue what you are looking at and what it takes to manufacture that outstanding piece of concrete.

edit: Don't get me wrong with style and taste. I don't mean to say that you have to like it, but if you’re going to talk about a building material and make comments on the cost of it, maybe you should understand how it's produced and actually do some homework on the cost differential.

Last edited by Brian.; Apr 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPrecaster View Post
I hope you are joking about this part of your post. If not then you haven't a clue what you are looking at and what it takes to manufacture that outstanding piece of concrete.
Well, let me begin my reply with the fact that no, I am not joking. Subsequently I "haven't a clue what I am looking at" insofar as I do not know the exact techniques used to manufacture that piece of concrete. I will also agree that, from my experience (i.e. not one that has any idea of the manufacturing techniques of concrete and the respective resulting products), this does indeed look outstanding for a piece of concrete. My description of the panels as resulting from a process wherein "concrete slabs...have had machines press seam patterns into them" was definitely an uninformed and crass (and purposely so for the intent of my post) description of them. However, my description brings to light an interesting point: most (I would wager more than 99%) of the people who pass by this building and also judge the building's aesthetics are making that judgment from the perspective of someone who has no knowledge of the manufacturing process that was utilized to produce the visual look of the facade and also no knowledge of the costs involved with that manufacturing process. So your average Joe (myself included) could very well walk by the Elysian and think, "This building looks like cheap concrete that is trying to look like stone." Even though their assertion of "cheap" is unfounded (because I'm sure the work done on Elysian costs more than the average concrete high-rise) it is not unwarranted: people only have the information they have thus-far obtained in their life to use when they make a judgment of any kind. Therefore, the judgments made by an architect, a contractor, a person working in the concrete industry, or an "average Joe" are all going to vary widely. And when it comes to those judgments, perception rarely accords with reality.

OK so I went off on a bit of a rant, but it was not meant to undermine your reply to me in any way. Rather, it was meant to justify the judgment I made about the Elysian and to illuminate how I came to it. Hopefully that wasn't too much or too irrelevant (I tend to be one of those people who can't say anything without saying [almost] everything).

As for my statement about the concrete slabs having the appearance (to me) of having been given artificial seams by some sort of machine, I still feel that that is an accurate assessment of them insofar as the seams are meant to emulate the look of genuine masonry when it is clear that genuine masonry they are not:

The seams I am referring to appear to not extend all the way to the edge of the slab that I have highlighted, and they also do not extend depth-wise into the facade. However, as far as the manufacturing process is concerned, I would much enjoy knowing how the look is achieved in the concrete. Also, I enjoy that you are able to contribute to this forum with the knowledge of one who actually works in the industry that is often under discussion, and I much appreciate your opinions.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not really concerned about 95% of the people
i'd had left it at that

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Maybe I'm just an unsophisticated boob, but last time I was there, I was looking at the Elysian panels and the limestone on 900 N. Michigan, and not seeing a whole lot of difference in appearance, not enough to get excited about.
or maybe it was that you were looking at two awful buildings... even it the elysian were being clad in real limestone, it's still reek of badness.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^ Ditto.

10 is clearly the better of the two though. LaGrange is making a disaster out of this area. Idealistic/uninspired crap the attempts to give a contrived hi-so character to the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture