HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:53 PM
bro

Red face Pixel Art - nerd's hobby

What up, dudes?

When I was 12 or so I was introduced to MS Paint and immediately took a liking to it. I've basically been doodling buildings, cities and other random stuff off and on in my spare time ever since. Many people consider pixel art tedious and boring but for some reason I find it gosh darn entertaining. Unfortunately, over the past 5 years it's been difficult to find time for drawing what with college and general growing up, but I've decided to start up again.

I tend to be an ambitious person with a pretty lousy work ethic so a lot of my pieces are unfinished. In the past I would generally gravitate towards graphics and digital art forums for criticisms or ego-boosting, but I figured you guys would at least get a kick out of this so here are a handful of my works:

My first major piece drawn in Paint. If I had to guess I was probably 13 or so.

I drew this for a friend who was setting up an mIRC server. Don't think it was ever used though.

This is one of my earliest isometric works.

And here it is years later, still not done.

This is my most recent project. Was on a bit of a heritage buildings kick and decided to try out a historical district type thing. I'm actually currently working on this one (like once every couple weeks) so you guys might actually get some real-time updates. Click image for fullsize

Hopefully you guys had fun checking out some of my stuff. I don't know how popular this type of thing is around here, but if any of you have some pixel art of your own I'd love to see it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:22 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

cool.

What program do you use these days?

You have of course checked out the diagrams on SSP right?

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:10 PM

hmm i see inspiration from Brookfield place 2 in Toronto in one of the buildings there...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
hmm i see inspiration from Brookfield place 2 in Toronto in one of the buildings there...
Haha, great eye, man. Yeah, being from London, Toronto was definitely a source of inspiration for me. Right behind the Bay-Wellington lookalike you can see a ripoff of First Canada Place as well as one of the oldschool '60s TD towers to the right. The Hyatt building was Vancouver inspired, the short triangular building is from Houston, and a handful of other buildings were GTA3 inspired (gives you an idea of when I was drawing some of this stuff )

@Tony: Believe it or not I still use Paint for a lot of my work. I've become so comfortable with its simple layout that it's been difficult for me to move to a different program for pixel art. I tend to use CS2 for layers which really helps with shadows and reflections, but I still do all of my line work and the majority of colouring in MS Paint.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art