HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's a rare aerial. (I don't know if any of these buildings have survived)

ebay
I'm trying to figure out where the 11600 Beverly Boulevard address comes from. I know it's on e_r's picture, and I found it at a couple of other sources, but I can't find the address on any maps. There are several streets with 11600 blocks just west of the 405, and Brentwood was mentioned in the caption of the HDL picture I posted earlier, so I started looking there. It appears that the old Urban Military Academy building is now part of the Brentwood School East Campus. From their website:
In early August 1972, the owners of the Urban Military Academy sold the property at 155 South Layton Drive to a non-profit organization and a Board of Directors was quickly assembled. The Board prepared for the establishment of Brentwood School, a traditional co-educational day school.
The school has since moved its entrance and changed its address to 100 South Barrington Place.

GSV

This video from the Brentwood School site contains some vintage images.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm trying to figure out where the 11600 Beverly Boulevard address comes from. I know it's on e_r's picture, and I found it at a couple of other sources, but I can't find the address on any maps. There are several streets with 11600 blocks just west of the 405, and Brentwood was mentioned in the caption of the HDL picture I posted earlier, so I started looking there. It appears that the old Urban Military Academy building is now part of the Brentwood School East Campus. From their website:

Think you need to consult a 1936 map, or earlier.

It is a guess on my part, but either Beverly Blvd. near Barrington was renamed or subsumed by residential development in the late '30s. Where Sunset intersects Barrington is a good starting point. Slightly south of that point is Beverly Court. The last bona fide listing for the address appears to be in the 1936CD, page 0022, under "Barrington." However, it seems to have disappeared from a 1938 map of the area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We have visited numerous military academies (Page, Black-Foxe, Pacific, etc) over the years on NLA.
[/URL]
Also included were these three family snapshots.

eBay

side note:
The more I look at the three snapshots, the more I think they show a different military academy.
(the buildings don't resemble the buildings in the aerial...and it looks like autumn in a less moderate climate than L.A.) -but I could be wrong of course.

-perhaps the seller just added the three snapshots to entice a buyer. (& they're unrelated to the aerial)

At least we know the aerial is of Los Angeles.

__

rl]
ER....I agree, the family photos do not show the Brentwood academy. It looks more like Kemper Academy or some other mid-west military school.

Speaking of military and teenagers...here I am [left] with a platoon of Navy Sea Cadets on board Coast Guard cutter COBB [WLM-564], Los Angeles harbor. That big yellow thing behind us is a buoy.

CD file

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Here are the last two slides from the 'yellow car' group I found on eBay.

The first one is a 'mystery' location.

Slide #1

If someone can make out the the name and street number of the business at far right we might have a valuable clue----->

(I think the street address is 838, but the first number is a bit difficult to read)

-also note the curve of the tracks.

Slide #2

The two street cars in this slide are between the Post Office Annex (seen in the background) and Los Angeles Union Station.(is this a turn-around/loop?)

That is a pretty impressive (high) curb. -if you look at the base of the street light you can see the curb is raised several inches above the 'sidewalk'.
__
Slide #1: The only place I can make the era, equipment, likely route and street address all work out (kinda-sorta) is for LARy/LATL 1030 to be turning from E. 14th St. onto Stanford Ave. In this case, 1030 would be finishing its northbound run on the G Line, which was operated as a quasi-shuttle in its later years (hence the Birney equipment and lack of signage).

Unfortunately, I can't make a case re: the structures in the photo, because the current buildings are newer and larger than the storefronts shown. The subsequent redevelopment doesn't rule out this hypothesis but certainly doesn't rule it in, either. Not sure if Historic Aerials or demo permits could help here. I'm open to suggestions or alternative viewpoints.

Slide #2: Nailed by e_r, it's the turnback loop at Union Station.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 5:44 AM

Thanks for the information HenryHuntington. Your insight is always appreciated.
__

Here's a group of four more slides from the Los Angeles Planning Department. (1970s, one from 1983)

Slide#1

eBay

This first slide is probably the biggest 'mystery'. (it shows a pedestrian bridge taken from a moving car)

Slide #2

eBay

This slide is my favorite of the bunch, but there's no 'mystery'. -you can clearly see the street sign. (2400 E. 1st St.)

Slide #3

eBay

This is the only vertical slide in the bunch. (there's a street sign but it's too far away to read, so it qualifies as a 'mystery' location)

Slide #4

eBay

'mystery' Mexican restaurant (perhaps somewhere in East Los Angeles?)

Descriptions (or lack of) below.

35 mm date - note on frame - processed by

1) Jan 72 ** color transparency

2) Feb 72 F5 color transparency

3) May 83 ** RGB Hollywood

4) Jun 76 ** RGB Hollywood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-mm-color-...sAAOSwKOJYF5jl

__

I like that photo of you in your Coast Guard uniform CityBoyDoug. You look quite dapper.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 1, 2016 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:09 AM

I'll add one more for tonight. (the seller is offering this one solo) -not in a grouping of 4.

'mystery' vantage point.

Original 35 mm color slide * 1968 overview houses * View north/west from Elysian Park.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-mm-color-...MAAOSwx2dYFMOB

I like that old wooden guard rail.

Perhaps we've discussed this 'overlook' before (on NLA), but I can't remember it's exact location.

(note the rail cars at lower right)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 1, 2016 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

Think you need to consult a 1936 map, or earlier.

It is a guess on my part, but either Beverly Blvd. near Barrington was renamed or subsumed by residential development in the late '30s. Where Sunset intersects Barrington is a good starting point. Slightly south of that point is Beverly Court. The last bona fide listing for the address appears to be in the 1936CD, page 0022, under "Barrington." However, it seems to have disappeared from a 1938 map of the area.
Thanks Tourmaline, I was relying too heavily on a great 1938 map I downloaded at the weekend from the David Rumsey site which mrfredmertz told us about. Even as I was posting, I had a feeling we'd covered the subject. GW posted this LAT article back in March 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

As the route of Beverly Boulevard developed from downtown via Temple and First, there was already a Beverly Boulevard in Beverly Hills... that road's extension westward from BH became Sunset Boulevard in 1934... not sure when the Beverly within BH--not today's four blocks if it within the city limits but another road to the north--became Sunset, tying in with L.A.'s Sunset coming from the east and completing that road all the way to the ocean.

LAT June 23, 1934
Embarrassingly, it was me who posted this map in a follow-up. I really should've remembered .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I've highlighted Beverly Boulevard west of Beverly Hills as it appeared on this 1928 map. As GW's LA Times article suggests, it is now Sunset Boulevard. In 1928, the start of Sunset is marked near the right of the map below.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Here's a group of four more slides from the Los Angeles Planning Department. (1970s, one from 1983)

Slide #4

eBay

I think this must be the Talpa Restaurant at 11751 W Pico Boulevard. According to their website:
The Talpa restaurant has been a neighborhood favorite since 1964, widely recognized as serving Los Angelenos “real” Mexican food.

The restaurant has also always been owned and operated by “real” Mexican Families. The rather infamous Lupe opened and ran The Talpa for many years.
The names Lupe & Iris Muñoz appear on the sign. Also, if you look just above the Comida Mexicana sign, there's a representation of the projecting sign saying "11751 Cafe".

The front has had a makeover at some point. There's also another Mexican restaurant next door.

GSV

The hand-painted murals can still be found inside.

thetalpa.com

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I'll add one more for tonight. (the seller is offering this one solo) -not in a grouping of 4.

'mystery' vantage point.

Original 35 mm color slide * 1968 overview houses * View north/west from Elysian Park.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-mm-color-...MAAOSwx2dYFMOB

I like that old wooden guard rail.

Perhaps we've discussed this 'overlook' before (on NLA), but I can't remember it's exact location.

(note the rail cars at lower right)
__
Most likely looking roughly ESE from Stadium Way, as you are climbing up from the I-5. The LA River and Taylor Yard, then across and up the hill into the Cypress Park Mt Washington area.

HTH,
Casey

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 2:21 PM

I think the original slide has been mirrored.

eBay, originally posted by e_r

Here's a view from Grand View Drive in Elysian Park, which is as close as I could get.

GSV

The white tower above the wooden rail, just left of center in e_r's picture, appears to be part of the Frisco Baking Company.

Google Maps

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomara View Post
Does anyone else know about this Old San Diego Road, or if there are other milestone markers?
I know of only one other milestone marker, and it's in Pasadena. I had meant to take a picture of it years ago and post it on this thread, but never got around to it.

Here is a link:
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route6..._pasadena.html

I wasn't aware that Downey and Norwalk had milestone markers; thanks for sharing that. I grew up in that general area (Cerritos).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I know of only one other milestone marker, and it's in Pasadena. I had meant to take a picture of it years ago and post it on this thread, but never got around to it.

Here is a link:
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route6..._pasadena.html

I wasn't aware that Downey and Norwalk had milestone markers; thanks for sharing that. I grew up in that general area (Cerritos).
Thanks, sopas ej for this link, which explains everything (in short, it's a milestone system of one Albert Bancroft, implemented around 1902-1908).

As to the Old San Diego Road mentioned in earlier postings, and drawing in a scattered way from my various looks into old accounts, arrivals from SD by land back in ye olden tymes were more or less principally (and with many variations depending upon the particular needs of the individual traveler) by either the "lower" route or the "upper" route. The "lower" route would be--starting in SD, and in today's terms--the 15 to the 91 to the 5 then west on Firestone to Alameda, north on Alameda to downtown; an important variation of this would be the San Juan Cap variation in which the traveler from SD would go on the west side of Lake Elsinore (rather than the east), then over the mountains on the Ortega Highway route to SJC, then northwards on what is now the 405 route to the 5, then as before). The SJC variation was what the incoming Gov. Micheltorena and his “battalion of thieves and pickpockets scoured from the jails” took in 1842, the LA city fathers meeting and greeting him in what now is Downey.

The "upper" route would replace going west on Firestone with continuing northerly on the 5 then 101, and entering downtown LA via what was Aliso before the freeways. An even more upperly route would be to come in via Mission San Gabriel; but that way diminished in importance as time went on.

When Commodore Stockton and the American force were coming up from SD at the end of 1846/first days of 1847, the Californios anticipated that he would be coming via the "lower" route, and so prepared an ambush at the San Gabriel River crossing of that route. Fortunately or unfortunately (me, I'm always on the side of the Californios!), some favoring the Yankee cause gave warning to Stockton, who then altered his course and took the "upper" route vis-à-vis the river crossing, making the Californios scramble to dispute the crossing.

Well, and so on and so forth... That's what I think of when I think of the Old San Diego Road!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information HenryHuntington. Your insight is always appreciated.
__

Slide#1

eBay

This first slide is probably the biggest 'mystery'. (it shows a pedestrian bridge taken from a moving car)

Slide #2

eBay

This slide is my favorite of the bunch, but there's no 'mystery'. -you can clearly see the street sign. (2400 E. 1st St.)

Slide #3

eBay

This is the only vertical slide in the bunch. (there's a street sign but it's too far away to read, so it qualifies as a 'mystery' location)

Slide #4

eBay

Descriptions (or lack of) below.

35 mm date - note on frame - processed by

1) Jan 72 ** color transparency

2) Feb 72 F5 color transparency

3) May 83 ** RGB Hollywood

4) Jun 76 ** RGB Hollywood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-mm-color-...sAAOSwKOJYF5jl

__

I like that photo of you in your Coast Guard uniform CityBoyDoug. You look quite dapper.
__
Slide 1: This is the S. Fresno St. pedestrian overcrossing of the westbound Pomona Freeway in Boyle Heights. Photo apparently was taken from the #1 lane eastbound.

Slide 3: Photo is looking northeast, showing the intersection of Lombardy Blvd. at Ladd Ave. in El Sereno.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 7:21 PM

Working with HenryHuntington's locations, here are some more up-to-date pictures. First, "Slide 1: This is the S. Fresno St. pedestrian overcrossing of the westbound Pomona Freeway in Boyle Heights. Photo apparently was taken from the #1 lane eastbound." I don't think the Googlemobile has ever been in the #1 lane, and trees block a couple of the #2 lane views. This one is from further back.

GSV

Now, "Slide 3: Photo is looking northeast, showing the intersection of Lombardy Blvd. at Ladd Ave. in El Sereno." I moved the Googlemobile nearer to Ladd Avenue because the original camera lens really foreshortens the distances. I looked for the battered Triumph Spitfire, but it's long gone .

GSV

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 9:07 PM

Just a simple night shot from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 343: Allen G. Siple, London Shop (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1948".

Getty Research Institute

Here's a daytime view courtesy of Martin Turnbull's site. It also provides the address of The London Shop - 303 North Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills.

www.martinturnbull.com

There's a Burberry store on the corner of Dayton Way today. Looking through the historic GSV images, the current building has only been there since 2014, but the previous building wasn't the one from the Shulman picture.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 10:17 PM

re: Urban Cadets posing in front of the 'Georgian-style' building with the white pillars (on the left in the photo below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
USC Digital provides an undated glimpse of two substantial campus buildings: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/4963/rec/1
usc

The date is 1923.

eBay

Here's a closer look so you can see their faces.

1923 detail

1923 detail

They sure don't look very happy.

As HossC stated earlier, this is now the site of the Los Angeles Tennis Club. (but both building in the top photo are now gone
__

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 10:37 PM

Child star Jackie Coogan attended the Academy starting at age 10. But since he was born in 1914 and the photograph is dated 1923 (when Coogan would have been 9), it's unlikely he's one of the pictured cadets, which means we can't play "Where's Uncle Fester?"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 10:53 PM

'mystery' building in movie location.

Buster Keaton in 'College', 1927.

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/317785317429309358/

What caught my eye was the multi-story building with the roof-top sign

(I checked the 'silentlocations' blog and I don't believe this particular building has been found)

IMDB mentions Los Angeles City College on N. Vermont as a location, but this building looks more like a commercial building (especially with the large roof-top sign)

On the other hand, this building (shown below) looks more academic. (this is also from 'College')

http://chagalov.tumblr.com/post/3815...n-college-1927

Here's another image I just found; same multi-story building/rooftop sign but in this view Buster has a walking partner.

http://stancarey.tumblr.com/post/223...n-college-1927

I just noticed the diploma in his hand..............................................................................................

I haven't seen the film so I'm unable to explain the sequence of events, sorry.

one last look...

Giphy.com

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Thanks, sopas ej for this link, which explains everything (in short, it's a milestone system of one Albert Bancroft, implemented around 1902-1908).

As to the Old San Diego Road mentioned in earlier postings, and drawing in a scattered way from my various looks into old accounts, arrivals from SD by land back in ye olden tymes were more or less principally (and with many variations depending upon the particular needs of the individual traveler) by either the "lower" route or the "upper" route. The "lower" route would be--starting in SD, and in today's terms--the 15 to the 91 to the 5 then west on Firestone to Alameda, north on Alameda to downtown; an important variation of this would be the San Juan Cap variation in which the traveler from SD would go on the west side of Lake Elsinore (rather than the east), then over the mountains on the Ortega Highway route to SJC, then northwards on what is now the 405 route to the 5, then as before). The SJC variation was what the incoming Gov. Micheltorena and his “battalion of thieves and pickpockets scoured from the jails” took in 1842, the LA city fathers meeting and greeting him in what now is Downey.

The "upper" route would replace going west on Firestone with continuing northerly on the 5 then 101, and entering downtown LA via what was Aliso before the freeways. An even more upperly route would be to come in via Mission San Gabriel; but that way diminished in importance as time went on.

When Commodore Stockton and the American force were coming up from SD at the end of 1846/first days of 1847, the Californios anticipated that he would be coming via the "lower" route, and so prepared an ambush at the San Gabriel River crossing of that route. Fortunately or unfortunately (me, I'm always on the side of the Californios!), some favoring the Yankee cause gave warning to Stockton, who then altered his course and took the "upper" route vis-à-vis the river crossing, making the Californios scramble to dispute the crossing.

Well, and so on and so forth... That's what I think of when I think of the Old San Diego Road!
Holy smokes odinthor and sopas_ej, thanks for that. I've been digging at this for years, and that info dump just made my day.

There's this open area where the 5 crosses the Rio Hondo flood channel (Next to Veteran's Memorial Park) that is allegedly a battle site that's haunted, but i can't find the website that told me that originally. But it would be on the Upper route you've laid out, so maybe there's some truth to that battle site story after all.

ETA: Wikipedia has the skinny on the battle and its location: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Hondo_(California)

"The river passes through the location of the Battle of Rio San Gabriel, fought on January 8, 1847, and which resulted in a U.S. victory. Although the battle was actually fought on west bank of the present-day Rio Hondo near where it is crossed by Washington Blvd,[6] the battle is named after the San Gabriel, which at that time flowed along these banks. A flood in 1867 caused the San Gabriel to change course, which it retains at present. The old San Gabriel was renamed the Rio Hondo after this flood. In Downey, California, the Rio Hondo was once known as the "Old River", because it was the old course of the San Gabriel River. The Old River School was named for it, and Old River School Road was named for the school. The "New River" is the present course of the San Gabriel River."

Last edited by Lomara; Nov 1, 2016 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:17 PM

Buster Keaton in COLLEGE...

These shots are from the beginning of the film. In the first picture, Buster and his mother are on the way to his high school graduation. The next shots with the diploma are post-graduation and you can see that the rain has caused Buster's suit to shrink.

(I believe the movie opens with a title card that says something about California's perpetual sunny weather and then cuts to Buster and Mom walking in the downpour.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos