HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:14 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY | Devon Energy Tower | 850 FT / 259 M | 54 FLOORS | U/C

Didn't see this posted here yet. Renderings for OKC's (and Oklahoma's) new tallest released: DEVON ENERGY TOWER

925 ft. tall

54 stories

1.9 million SF Class A office

Construction starts fall 2009

Look at how this thing dwarfs the existing buildings, the tallest being 500+ ft. Chase Tower on the right...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:18 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Nice.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:45 PM

It's nice, but, it's too tall. It is going to look strange being in that Downtown with all of those other buildings. I know egos come into play, but, you have to look at the overall skyline and congruity. The City Council of OKC should reject this proposal and ask for something a little shorter. But, I know that won't happen. At least it isn't ugly, like those twin towers in Louisville. The tower is a very attractive tower, but, it doesn't fit for OKC. Density before height---that's the way to go. It's how you build a city.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

Nice, but I'll reserve judgment until more refined renderings come out.

I was pretty let down when they put out revised renderings of the Civic Center Sir Norman Foster Abortion tower in Seattle.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:58 PM

The same was said for Charlotte when it got its new tallest a while back. It dwarfed everything and nobody liked it because of that. We'll see how everything works out.

Oh and to density, unless OKC somehow sprawls out to ecompass its 625 sq miles, Its not going to be as dense as other cities because our sheer size actually hurts us. People think OKC isn't dense...thats not true. The developed area of the city takes up about 250 square miles. I wish people would realize that we don't have huge land lots in the middle of the city, we have vast farm lands around the city. But the city is too stubborn to de-annex all of that extra wasteful land. Psshft, lets add 350 sq miles of empty land to your city and see how it stands in density. ;]

Notice the wink, lets not get crazy.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
It's nice, but, it's too tall. It is going to look strange being in that Downtown with all of those other buildings. I know egos come into play, but, you have to look at the overall skyline and congruity. The City Council of OKC should reject this proposal and ask for something a little shorter. But, I know that won't happen. At least it isn't ugly, like those twin towers in Louisville. The tower is a very attractive tower, but, it doesn't fit for OKC. Density before height---that's the way to go. It's how you build a city.
I'm sure they said the same thing in Charlotte when Bank of America Center was built. Devon wants everyone to be in the same building as they are scattered in five buildings downtown so that is why it is so tall. Now I just wish we could see more highrise residential like in Austin.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:18 PM

See! See! ^^ I'm not the only one that knows about Charlotte.

But anwyays, I failed to mention that I do agree that it sticks out, but I just don't see this tower, I try look into the future and imagine future skyscrapers that will help even things out and make it something special.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:24 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

i think its great. great for OKC. congrats!!

and i don't buy this "too tall" nonsense. the skyline will grow up around it and it will only challenge others in their pursuits.

can't wait to see more detailed renderings so we can analyze it in depth...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:09 PM

That's a beautiful building.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:34 PM

More renderings. I'll also point out that at 925', this will be taller than Dallas' tallest, Bank of America Plaza.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:47 PM
Bears of antiquity

Awesome! I give it a 9.4 out of 10. Loses .6 for that strange pseudo-winter garden whatever-the-frick-that-is atrium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
More renderings. I'll also point out that at 925', this will be taller than Dallas' tallest, Bank of America Plaza.
By 4'-- let's not go down this road, however, since it won't be pretty for OKC to get the Dallas forumers' engines revved up in comparison.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:55 PM

I for one could care less thats its Taller than anything,only needs to be good lookin and work well in the skyline. it achieves both.

(I could go in deeper,but I am not about to,so dont qoute me saying "oh,but it needs to have good street level interaction" it has that anyway)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:59 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
I for one could care less thats its Taller than anything,only needs to be good lookin and work well in the skyline. it achieves both.

(I could go in deeper,but I am not about to,so dont qoute me saying "oh,but it needs to have good street level interaction" it has that anyway)
It does have good street level interaction-- the atrium (yuck) and adjacent lowrise are both practically theater seating for people to watch the streets and it seems to have ample access points for folks to come in and such. Most buildings of this height have restaurants and cafes inside, too-- and maybe it will have an observation deck?

Oh no. Oh god no. I just said the "o.d." words.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:59 PM

Damn! that thing is hot.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Now that is one sexy skyscraper.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
By 4'-- let's not go down this road, however, since it won't be pretty for OKC to get the Dallas forumers' engines revved up in comparison.
All I did was state a fact.

At 282 meters it will be 21st in the US.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:26 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
All I did was state a fact.

At 282 meters it will be 21st in the US.
Adding in those buildings that are currently under construction (and not including likely proposals and approved-but-not-built), it will be 26th at this point.

Let's wait until its built.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:30 PM

Yeah, let's not get into any comparison things here...especially not Dallas.

But seriously I would say nay to the detractors about height too. We're all totally stoked that it's going to be that tall!!!!! Our downtown is pretty dense already, and this just adds to it. They are building inside the same square right next to one of the other talles. I'm not sure how you can say it's not dense!?!?!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:32 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
Yeah, let's not get into any comparison things here...especially not Dallas.

But seriously I would say nay to the detractors about height too. We're all totally stoked that it's going to be that tall!!!!! Our downtown is pretty dense already, and this just adds to it. They are building inside the same square right next to one of the other talles. I'm not sure how you can say it's not dense!?!?!
I love the height-- and so many buildings have gone that route already in building a building that outstrips the others in town by dozens of feet. Seattle did it, Chicago did it, NYC did it, LA did it... the list goes on and on.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Adding in those buildings that are currently under construction (and not including likely proposals and approved-but-not-built), it will be 26th at this point.
True. We can definitely hold off on putting it in the overall list. Pretty sure Dallas doesn't have a new tallest in the works, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral