HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Remember that the NDP has a habit of building infrastructure specifically to pander for votes. The Millennium Line is a perfect example of this. It was built through NDP ridings in Burnaby. Most of Surrey were—and still are—BC Liberal ridings. The Expo extension to Surrey in 1994 was only in the Surrey-Whalley district, which was NDP.

The Pattullo replacement downgrade is possibly due to its New West riding. New West has been NDP (with the exception of the 37th Parliament) since 1963. It doesn’t want to lose it like it lost Kamloops to the Liberals.
I'm not sure you actually know what you're talking about. "Most of surrey were--and still are--BC Liberal ridings" is wrong. Surrey has nine ridings, six NDP and three Liberal.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Pattullo replacement downgrade" either, because it hasn't been downgraded. The plan all along was to replace it with a four-lane bridge, when New West, Surrey, and TransLink agreed upon that a couple of years ago. The province is building exactly what those three parties want, there's no downgrade there anywhere. And New West is going to vote NDP regardless of the Pattullo, it's as safe an NDP riding as they get.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:58 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

They could’ve replace it with a six-lane bridge, and fix that intersection on SFPR. It hasn’t always been proposed as four lanes.

Wait, this isn’t the Pattullo Bridge Replacement thread, this is the GMT replacement one. I don’t want to get too carried away here.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:03 AM

Wasn't the technical review supposed to be due out in spring? Technically they got till June 21 but it's pretty much summer now. Or is this another broken promise?

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:08 AM

Dude, the entire project was essentially cancelled by the NDP.

They say they are waiting to see how traffic patterns even out, but provided no real context in regards to what (removing the tolls? Opening of the Alex Fraser counter flow? Sunbury Interchange project? Opening of the new Patullo Bridge???).

Essentially, when something does actually move forward on this corridor expect it to be greatly reduced in scope and probably double the price.

So pretty much making the same mistake as delaying the UBC Subway. A major project that the region will eventually need pushed back just to have the price tag grow.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:51 PM

Is there a budget to build a gigantic set of middle fingers at both sides of the tunnel too?

http://www.delta-optimist.com/news/d...nel-1.23313324

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 9:31 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 9:51 PM
waves

Well this is frustrating. Why don't we get to read the report...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
I kinda want an earthquake to wreck the tunnel so we can tell them "I told you so."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I kinda want an earthquake to wreck the tunnel so we can tell them "I told you so."
Ya cool so that will kill a bunch of kids in schools so I can say the same thing to the BC Liberals.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ya cool so that will kill a bunch of kids in schools so I can say the same thing to the BC Liberals.
Nah we'll schedule the earthquake for the weekend.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
Well this is frustrating. Why don't we get to read the report...
A provincial government that is not releasing critical results of a taxpayer funded study, suggests the conclusions of the report is not in the favor of the NDP's anti-Highway mantra.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Nah we'll schedule the earthquake for the weekend.
Just localize the earthquake.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
A provincial government that is not releasing critical results of a taxpayer funded study, suggests the conclusions of the report is not in the favor of the NDP's anti-Highway mantra.
yup, if it was favourable to them they'd be publishing that thing ASAP, whereas if it is not what they wanted, i.e. in favour of the Liberals, they will sit on it as long as possible hoping people will forget.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:28 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Political favouritism in a nutshell. You might as well let the soil liquify by throwing a tsunami at it, and the NDP will brush off its shoulders as if it was a housefly.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:48 AM
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
She did say that she doesn't know what's in it but it does however sound like she suspects as much as you say. I guess I will wait patiently another 4 months...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:38 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Wait. Didn't the BC Liberals hide the entire design and/or reports on the bridge for years?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
She did say that she doesn't know what's in it but it does however sound like she suspects as much as you say.
Well, all reports have executive summaries, so I think we can safely assume a number of things at this point. If they're not instantly cheerleading the report, you'd have to assume it's not what they were looking for it to say.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Wait. Didn't the BC Liberals hide the entire design and/or reports on the bridge for years?
no, they did 5 years of consultations starting in 2012 to come up with options and designs and thousands of responses from the public.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 8:49 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
no, they did 5 years of consultations starting in 2012 to come up with options and designs and thousands of responses from the public.
And the result was a fantastic designed bridge/Interchange project.... all for nothing

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
She did say that she doesn't know what's in it but it does however sound like she suspects as much as you say. I guess I will wait patiently another 4 months...
You shouldn't have to wait another four months. There is no reason that any reports paid for by tax dollars cannot be released the same day the government receives it. They don't need to comment on it and can simply say they need time to review it before any public comment. Taxpayers paid anywhere between $350,000 and $1 million for this report, it should be released.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure