HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:24 PM

Olympic/Fairfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"Mobilgas, Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue, 1948"

ssilberman on flickr
Always surprises here. This is a block from my office, where I am typing this.

e_r's picture is taken looking east on Olympic from Fairfax, here is the Sanborn:

lapl.org

You can see the drive-in restaurant immediately to the east behind the gas station. The drive-in is from 1936:

LADBS

...and here is the obligatory "now" view:

gsv

The gas station is now a Starbucks.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Jan 26, 2018 at 6:13 AM. Reason: corrected info

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I think this may be 3958. 3959 is not a match.
I believe you are correct t2.

-not sure why the past owner labeled it 3959

ssilberman

I've been trying to read the street number to no avail.

have the odd and even numbers ever been known to switch sides?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 25, 2018 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
and in 2016. oops. not the right house. see t2's post (it's next)

GSV

looks like GW attacked that poor tree with his chain saw.

time sure has taken its toll. (buckled siding & broken shutter)

Day job

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:24 AM

I promised to share family photos of Busch Gardens if and when I found them. I found them, and am afraid that, as you see, they don't show much of Busch Gardens. I had hoped that my photos had shown some of the structures etc. They show not structures but rather some etc.; but the etc. they show is not very interesting.

In the first photo, the creature to the left is young odinthor, accompanied by his mother and his brother. The trees, water, rocks, and boat are thoroughly Busch Gardens trees, water, rocks, and boat. If young odinthor seems thrilled, it is because odinthor is always thrilled by the presence of palm trees.

odinthor collection. Photography by father of odinthor.

In the second photo, the creature in the middle is young odinthor, flanked by his mother and father. odinthor's father looks tired, no doubt from the long drive. The trees, grass, water, and fountain are, however, not tired, and are components of Busch Gardens. odinthor is less thrilled because palm trees are not present, but characteristically is trying to make the best of such a tragedy.

odinthor collection. Photography by brother of odinthor.

These pix were taken on May 29, 1966, the year in which Busch Gardens Van Nuys opened.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I promised to share family photos of Busch Gardens if and when I found them. I found them, and am afraid that, as you see, they don't show much of Busch Gardens. I had hoped that my photos had shown some of the structures etc. They show not structures but rather some etc.; but the etc. they show is not very interesting.

These pix were taken on May 29, 1966, the year in which Busch Gardens Van Nuys opened.
Well, they may not show certain structures at the Gardens but they do show Odinthor's formation structure.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 26, 2018 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:52 AM
BANNED

1950ish....Sizzling Steaks.

In 2018 its now called Casa Escobar.........

Anchor-Inn-Parking-Lot-Texaco-Gas-Station-1930s-Cars-1940s-Cars-.jpg

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have lived my entire life in Los Angeles, and I absolutely love the beautiful old buildings, so many of which (see my avatar) we have lost in the name of “progress”.

I’ve been reading this thread for probably a year now. I had originally intended to not make any comments until I had caught up, but this thread is now over 2,000 pages long! I just passed page number 1007, and at the rate I’m going, I’m never gonna catch up!

With the help of you fine people, I now believe that I could easily navigate old LA if I were thrown into a time machine. I could explore the beautiful, long-gone tunnels on Hill and on Broadway. I could make my way around the much-missed Bunker Hill, visit the Bradbury Mansion, and ride down Court Flight. And I could find myself a good lunch in the original Chinatown. And boy, would it be a pleasure to do it!

Anyways, here’s my thanks to all of you people who have made this such an amazing thread‼

I like many, I assume, have also thought about the proverbial time machine while looking at old photos. Of all the fascinating photos that have been seen here, for some reason this one posted by Beaudry in 2016 is the time and place I'd most want to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Thought I'd add this to the going, going, gone:

nadel again, CRA/slums/1955Sept30/255SBHA
I'd love to sit on the bench next to the old guy and maybe ask him where he buys his suspenders. Things like that...

Last edited by Bristolian; Jan 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Just because

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the correction t2. (& the dome answer of course)
__

more kids playing in the Venice canals.

mr rollers 1975 / flickr

can you imagine being a kid and having a barge to play with! ...on a canal!

See the 1950s/60s color slide from a few days ago HERE
I think I've nailed down where this picture was taken(the clue is the different type of bridges in the foreground and background). It's the southeast end of the current set of canals. I was recently there and took a picture(of course):

_A150047-Edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

I'm taking my picture from the other side of the canal near where the little girl is next to the house(which appears to be a survivor) in the original photo.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:

In the first photo, the creature to the left is young odinthor, accompanied by his mother and his brother. The trees, water, rocks, and boat are thoroughly Busch Gardens trees, water, rocks, and boat. If young odinthor seems thrilled, it is because odinthor is always thrilled by the presence of palm trees.

In the second photo, the creature in the middle is young odinthor, flanked by his mother and father. odinthor's father looks tired, no doubt from the long drive. The trees, grass, water, and fountain are, however, not tired, and are components of Busch Gardens. odinthor is less thrilled because palm trees are not present, but characteristically is trying to make the best of such a tragedy.

Young Odinthor is so cute my eyelashes have singed

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Nightly addict here as well. I get the shakes if I don't get on NLA
I get my fix first thing in the AM. Great way to start the day!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:

Please note odinthor's Mother is holding her gloves. In those days ladies of quality never went anywhere important without their gloves.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Please note odinthor's Mother is holding her gloves. In those days ladies of quality never went anywhere important without their gloves.
It was a Sunday.....had they been to church?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:25 AM

Shucks [modestly kicks at dirt]--you folks are so nice!

It's possible that we had been to church . . . but my mother was always one to dress a bit up (a trait passed down to me). She was the eldest daughter of an eldest daughter in a several generations farming clan which was significant in their county, so she felt she had obligations. Meantime, our churchgoing came to an abrupt halt when my father kicked the pastor out of our home one day; but I forget when that was, in relation to the pics. And of course with a name like odinthor, it's hard to be anything but pagan.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:44 AM

Here's something a little different, maybe not exactly noirish L.A.; but pueblo L.A. wanted to come pay NLA a visit.

Back in '83, I visited the Pio Pico ranchita in what is now Whittier . . .

We approach from the river side, which would have been the side those approaching from pueblo L.A. would have seen first in the distance.

odinthor collection, photography by odinthor.

Back once upon a time, we come in from the road on a driveway between palm trees.

odinthor collection, photography by odinthor

We approach the adobe.

Ex-Governor Pico doesn't know who we are, so we wait in the courtyard while he asks those in his household if they know anything about us.

Sadly, he has heard that we're a bunch of rowdies, so he doesn't admit us to the house but graciously receives us out in the garden.

He takes our request that he tell us about how it was in the old days in L.A., but says he doesn't have time right now, but hopes to be able to accommodate us on some future date. Vaya con dios!, he wishes us as we depart.

Now, where's the nearest saloon so we can go raise some hell?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:52 AM

Apropos of nothing, a mighty fine winter sunset in Los Angeles this evening, courtesy of traffic reporter Scott Burt:

[source: https://twitter.com/scottburtknx/sta...6415244128256]

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Young Odinthor is so cute my eyelashes have singed

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:23 AM

"A fun snapshot of children sitting inside and around the World’s Fair searchlight atop the powerhouse on Echo Mountain."

donated to mountlowe.org

Late 1940’s?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Apropos of nothing, a mighty fine winter sunset in Los Angeles this evening, courtesy of traffic reporter Scott Burt:

[source: https://twitter.com/scottburtknx/sta...6415244128256]
Pretty nice, I almost took a hike on the ol' Boy Scout Trail(it goes from The Greek to the Observatory) to my favorite ridge to shoot the sunset tonight. But I was enticed into a snuggle time session by little Nikki(she's a Cocker Spaniel) and missed out. I've been heading up there at least once a week to shoot the sunset, it's got a great view of West LA. The last couple of weeks I've been attempting to learn to shoot sunset timelapse(it's not very easy). Here's the obligatory pic from a previous hike up there.
_B130150_Luminar2018-edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:34 AM

Quote:
"A fun snapshot of children sitting inside and around the World’s Fair searchlight atop the powerhouse on Echo Mountain."

donated to mountlowe.org

Late 1940’s?
Probably a good guess, IIRC the Forest Service blew up the remains of the powerhouse and the Ol' Alpine Tavern in 1959.

ETA: One site that seems to have been neglected in the discussion of the Mt. Lowe project is Inspiration Point which is southeast of the Ol' Alpine Tavern(currently the Mt. Lowe campground). It's the only thing up there that been restored(more like rebuilt). Here's the view:

_4290193.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr. You'll notice the sighting tubes, they also have those up on Mt. Lowe.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:11 AM

Bolton Canyon, a place named 'Daisy Dell'

"Two women performing on a barn door in the first known musical event at the Hollywood Bowl, ca.1920.

carrie jacobs-bond

The woman at the piano is Carrie Jacobs-Bond*, a resident of nearby Hollywood Heights and one of the originators of the Theatre Arts Alliance.
She was assisting in testing the acoustics." [the other woman is unnamed]

a bit more info on CJB:

*"To ease the pains of her rheumatism, in the early 1920s Carrie Jacobs-Bond and her son moved to Hollywood, California,
where she continued performing and publishing. She named her home there "The End of the Road" (also the title of her 1940 book).
She was an early supporter of the Theatre Arts Alliance, which created the Hollywood Bowl near her beloved home."

Makes me wonder where her Hollywood Heights' "End of the Road" house was located? (does anyone, by chance, know?)

sad note:

Her son committed suicide in 1932 while listening to "A Perfect Day" on the phonograph.

inharmony

HEARTBREAKING

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos