HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 6:21 PM
TL;DR

^ No way. The site is inaccessible without massive investment in infrastructure. It was also so polluted that only a very intensive development could offset the cost of the cleanup, so a low-density project was never an option.

SB had no choice but to plan big, and ask the city to help them on the infrastructure piece. The only feasible alternative would be more industrial/warehouses.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ No way. The site is inaccessible without massive investment in infrastructure. It was also so polluted that only a very intensive development could offset the cost of the cleanup, so a low-density project was never an option.

SB had no choice but to plan big, and ask the city to help them on the infrastructure piece. The only feasible alternative would be more industrial/warehouses.
Honestly, this is my biggest fear. I don't know if anyone can answer or knows what the entire area is zoned as, but I think in the long, long term -- with the right investment to the surrounding infrastructure and investment into the area i.e. (such as the two sites SB has pitched at 2033 N Kingsbury Avenue, and 1840 N Marcey St).

I think another version of LY could happen, or at most, happen in stages from various development over time -- like the slow but on going developments we've seen near North & Clybourn. I just hope that you don't see more warehouses and big-box building get pitched in the area in the time being. Would be such a waste of land for what the area could be.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:59 PM
TL;DR

Honestly I think the sites that Sterling Bay is selling could be successful projects in their own right in the hands of other developers.

Cortland/Elston isn't so far from Bucktown, and it's a short walk to that little bar/restaurant area on Cortland. The transit options are not terrible, Metra to the Loop and the #X9 bus to the Medical District (Fulton Mkt workers can use either) plus the obvious Kennedy access for folks who work anywhere else.

The 606 will be extended to Elston in a few years as well, so there will be a high-quality pedestrian and bike route to other thriving neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 8:36 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

I'd love to see the DePaul basketball practice facility go here. Would be a good use of land, near the school, just west on Fullerton, and on the river. So much better that demolishing 40 units of historic housing next to the redline!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development