HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Is Atlanta culturally significant? Absolutely, No argument from me there.

It has a rich history that sets it apart from other cities in the south. But.... For me, I judge cities on much more than that. I look what sets them apart locally (economy, architecture, city design, people, transit, etc). In this regard, I tend to put Atlanta in similar categories as other sunbelt sprawl cities. It's got a great economy, and has cultural significance, but that's about it. Do I dislike Atlanta? No. Do I think it's significant on a national scale compared to 1st tier cities like NY, LA, and the Bay area? No.
Significance depends on who you are talking to. Atlanta is as significant, if not more, than any of those cities for African-Americans. It may also be as (or more) significant for Southerners in general. But I think the ranking of cities into Alpha, Beta and Gamma Cities by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network is a fairly reasonable assessment that NY,LA and SF have higher significance than Atlanta on a global scale.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Ronald Reagan was the governor of California.

Tyler Perry, lol. I'm done here.
Not before he was an actor.

So a Billionaire should be dismissed?
Tyler Perry like him or not, single handedly has put more minorities in an industry where behind the scenes they have been under represented.Thousands of minorities are hired,many of them.

Tyler Perry Studios is the largest film production studio facility in North America. He should be applauded for being the first African American to directly own a large studio.
What other black person in America has so much influence today on many African American culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yph5orqNA2w

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Ronald Reagan was the governor of California.

Tyler Perry, lol. I'm done here.

tyler perry does have a major influence on the film and tv produced here, itself being a sizeable piece of the industry in general. they used tyler perry studios for one of the msnbc presidential debates last year, even. not trying to be a homer here, hell, my husband and i have been thinking about leaving quite a bit lately to experience something new. (even though we own a house here currently) something about seeing all the fucking NIMBY's on nextdoor that want to see the city remain a giant suburb is just disheartening.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Significance depends on who you are talking to. Atlanta is as significant, if not more, than any of those cities for African-Americans. It may also be as (or more) significant for Southerners in general. But I think the ranking of cities into Alpha, Beta and Gamma Cities by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network is a fairly reasonable assessment that NY,LA and SF have higher significance than Atlanta on a global scale.
Well sure.NYC,LA,SF also at one time were huge centers for African American cultural output. SF more Oakland. Those are legacy cities,Atlanta is not but its sure is showing signs it is heading that direction.

That Globalization and World Cities Research has been largely dismissed by many. I remember one year they had Atlanta as an Alpha minus then it dropped to Beta plus.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not before he was an actor.

So a Billionaire should be dismissed?
Johnson Publishing or Tyler Perry. Ebony Magazine vs. Madea. Which one was more influential in black America? lol.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Is Atlanta culturally significant? Absolutely, No argument from me there.

It has a rich history that sets it apart from other cities in the south. But.... For me, I judge cities on much more than that. I look what sets them apart locally (economy, architecture, city design, people, transit, etc). In this regard, I tend to put Atlanta in similar categories as other sunbelt sprawl cities. It's got a great economy, and has cultural significance, but that's about it. Do I dislike Atlanta? No. Do I think it's significant on a national scale compared to 1st tier cities like NY, LA, and the Bay area? No.
It doesnt have to be as significant of those cities and yet still be significant on a national scale.
You cant turn on the radio without hearing Atlanta;s influence
Im sitting here scrolling through a friends Instagram in Algeria and hearing in his feed Algerian TRAP music.It goes beyond just hip hop.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Johnson Publishing or Tyler Perry. Ebony Magazine vs. Madea. Which one was more influential in black America? lol.
Tyler Perry IS ,not was Stop living in decades old glory. I got family that have fled Chicago just like other blacks leaving.

Madea is alive and Billionaire
Ebony got replace by Upscale Magazine in Atlanta when Johnson Meida was liquidated and sold in 2013 . Its last reported revenues that year were about $90 million.
Tyler Perry Studios reported revenues are lust under $1 billion in revenue.
Black Panther was the first movie filmed there.

Yes Madea wins by Knockout.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Tyler Perry IS ,not was Stop living in decades old glory. I got family that have fled Chicago just like other blacks leaving.

Ebony got replace by Upscale Magazine in Atlanta when Johnson Meida was liquidated and sold in 2013 . Its last reported revenues that year were about $90 million.

Your claim was that Chicago wasn't considered very influential to black America. Numbers alone make that statement ridiculous, since Chicago has the fourth largest population of African Americans in the U.S.

Yes, Atlanta is perhaps the largest cultural hub for African Americans today. But 1) that's a very recently achieved status, and 2) it isn't a hub that is without peer. Chicago is absolutely a peer in that respect. So are D.C., NYC, Philadelphia, and Detroit.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Your claim was that Chicago wasn't considered very influential to black America. Numbers alone make that statement ridiculous, since Chicago has the fourth largest population of African Americans in the U.S.

Yes, Atlanta is perhaps the largest cultural hub for African Americans today. But 1) that's a very recently achieved status, and 2) it isn't a hub that is without peer. Chicago is absolutely a peer in that respect. So are D.C., NYC, Philadelphia, and Detroit.
No. I never said Chicago wasnt influential. Quote where I said that.
I said it wasnt AS influential and its not . Not in the last 20 years or so.
Chicago today is not a peer city for black influence. Its a city of influence but its not a peer in this regard. DC is and New York is (less every year)

You are the one claiming Atlanta isnt

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

The only issue with Tyler Perry is that he pretty much is Atlanta's film industry. Never good when any one industry is hinged on one person or company. If he had a hair up his ass and decided to leave for whatever reason, that would be a huge loss for ATL.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:36 PM

Getting back to the video,it is a travel piece.CNN like Bloomberg ,and other news channels do these. This is not a supposed to be a serious news piece Just an informative travel show. I dont see how people getting so bent out of shape about something that is clearly not meant to be news.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Why the fuck was this thread turned into an Atlanta vs. Chicago stupidity festival?

End.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions