HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Ya, but we (in Hamilton) have a special hate for the FLA teams, especially Tampa as that is one of the cities (along with Ottawa) that got the expansion franchise when Hamilton was a 'shoe-win' (back in '92). Not to mention the fact that the majority of the people in the regions have most likely never stepped foot on ice to play hockey... so therefor can hardly appreciate it.

If there's one thing (besides the GAME of Hockey itself) that unifies Canada, I think it's our hatred for Betteman! The country (esp Winni, QC & the Hammer) will definately throw a parade in honour of his ousting (hopefully a joint parade showcasing our new NHL teams)!
The Florida hate is one thing and the Bettman hate seems to be another. Tampa was actually awarded a team in 1990 so we can't blame Gary for that one.

It is nice to think that Gary Bettman's removal will bring about teams in any of those three cities, but it is not really true. If a team in Hamilton ever does come about, it will not be exclusively (or perhaps not at all) because of his departure.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:21 AM
Closed account

^^ Agreed! We all know he's a puppet to the Board of Governors... who we all know suck up to MLSE since they contribute the most to revenue-sharing... and this anti-competiton ruling today doesn't help either way.

However I'm confident that with the strong Canadian Dollar, the huge turnarounds from ALL 6 Canadian teams since the lockout, and the dying market in the States, etc... Canada will have at least 2 more hockey teams in the very near future: Winipeg & Hamilton.

It's only a matter of time down there. First they can't afford their houses, next they wont be able to afford a car to drive to their suburban arenas, next their seasons tickets, then eventually the whole team. ATL seems to be the biggest loss at the moment. We'll see how that goes *crosses fingers*

ps: I know ATL & Tampa's arenas are urban... I was just bein a bug

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:26 AM

Quote:
^^ Agreed! We all know he's a puppet to the Board of Governors... who we all know suck up to MLSE since they contribute the most to revenue-sharing... and this anti-competiton ruling today doesn't help either way.

However I'm confident that with the strong Canadian Dollar, the huge turnarounds from ALL 6 Canadian teams since the lockout, and the dying market in the States, etc... Canada will have at least 2 more hockey teams in the very near future: Winipeg & Hamilton.

It's only a matter of time down there. First they can't afford their houses, next they wont be able to afford a car to drive to their suburban arenas, next their seasons tickets, then eventually the whole team. ATL seems to be the biggest loss at the moment. We'll see how that goes *crosses fingers*

ps: I know ATL & Tampa's arenas are urban... I was just bein a bug
I actually heard that both arenas were located on the Mountain next to power centres.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I actually heard that both arenas were located on the Mountain next to power centres.
... then it might look like THIS

ScotiaBank Place, Kanata (Ottawa) ON... approx 25 min drive from city centre. Wonder how long it would take to walk there?!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:52 AM

Quote:
... then it might look like THIS

ScotiaBank Place, Kanata (Ottawa) ON... approx 25 min drive from city centre. Wonder how long it would take to walk there?!
Good gosh, DC83... I almost threw up my midnight snack! What were you thinking?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:54 AM
Closed account

the palladium/corel centre/place scotiabank was built as the cornerstone of a...SUBURBAN BIGBOX DEVELOPMENT!!! it's total bullshit and could have been located somewhere closer to downtown, like the lebreton flats for example:

the one time i drove there it took an hour and a half. the queensway is as unpleasant an 'expressway' as the gardiner. the other times i took the bus which was free, if memory serves me correct.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 11:22 AM
It's Hammer Time

A lot of legal mumbo-jumbo
Competition Bureau agrees NHL would not allow a veto to relocate team to Hamilton

April 01, 2008
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator

The ruling certainly doesn't help Hamilton's chances of getting an NHL hockey team, but it doesn't kill it.

The Competition Bureau ruled yesterday that the league did not contravene Canada's Competition Act in its processing of Jim Balsillie's bid to buy the Nashville Predators last spring. The Bureau also examined Balsillie's earlier attempt to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In both cases, Balsillie would likely have eventually moved the team to Copps Coliseum.

The ruling removes, for now, one of the potential legal hammers that could have been used to break down the National Hockey League's resistance, should Balsillie -- or anyone else -- buy a team and formally try to move it to Hamilton.

"We are confident that the NHL's policies are not anticompetitive," said Richard Taylor, deputy commissioner of competition, on the Bureau's website. "We conducted an extensive investigation which established that the NHL's policies were directed at furthering legitimate interests of the NHL, and not to prevent competition. This concludes our investigation of the matter."

The Canadian Bureau decided to look into the matter when several Canadian media outlets, including The Spectator, questioned whether the league actions might be blocking a second team from coming to southern Ontario.

But the Bureau agreed that the NHL would not permit any single team -- read, Toronto Maple Leafs or Buffalo Sabres -- to exercise a veto to prevent a franchise from entering into southern Ontario.

According to Section 36 of the NHL bylaws, only a majority of teams would have to vote in favour of relocation.

Legal and political pressures were never going to be the key to getting a team here anyway, although their existence would have certainly helped in a peripheral way. And it should be remembered that the Competition Bureau instigated the investigation of the NHL on its own, not at the urging of Balsillie, although he didn't oppose it.

But it was already clear, from their conciliatory tone of late, that the Balsillie camp will take a softer approach on its next attempt to purchase.

They followed all the protocol on the Pittsburgh deal and felt that the league absolutely skewered them as the deal was closing. So they became much more visible, vocal and aggressive in the Nashville dealings.

In so doing, Balsillie forced the issue of Canadian teams and the viability of Hamilton as a franchise site into the national, and NHL, consciousness. But he also rubbed many NHL governors the wrong way.

Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger doesn't think the Competition Bureau's ruling changes much in the city's pursuit of an NHL team.

"It's nice to know the law of the land doesn't think the NHL would do anything against the Competition Act," Eisenberger said yesterday.

"From where I sit, and from what a lot of people think, this market could easily handle another team. It could handle all three teams and create a big rivalry."

Balsillie's agreement with the city for long-term rights to Copps Coliseum formally expired when his company did not own a team by Dec. 31.

The NHL was happy with the ruling, of course.

"We were never concerned about an adverse finding, despite the fact that we were obviously the target of a misguided smear campaign intended to arouse public sentiment, especially in Canada," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press.

Former Nashville Predator owner Craig Leipold pulled out of negotiations with Balsillie last summer after agreeing in May to sell the Predators for $228-million US.

After protracted negotiations, the team was sold for $193-million US to Predators Holdings LLC, which includes mostly local business people. But the largest investment has been made by William (Boots) Del Biaggio, a Californian, who originally had been hired by the arena in Kansas City to bring a team there.

With no other bidders, Del Biaggio's presence, and Leipold's subsequent purchase of the Minnesota Wild, the sale price appeared to be well over market value and raised many, many eyebrows.

And some are still raised. As they should be.

Oh, oh, is that a smear? Or merely misguided?

And the response from the Balsillie camp?

"The Competition Bureau is there to ensure access to markets and effective competition practices in Canada for the benefit of all Canadians," said Balsillie's lawyer, Richard Rodier, in a prepared statement.

"No doubt they conducted the inquiry to the best of their abilities to reach their conclusion, and did what they deemed best to protect the interests of Canadian consumers of professional hockey."

Rodier would not comment further on the issue. Did we mention that they're taking a more conciliatory approach?

How the Competition Bureau came to this conclusion, only they know for certain, but we'll certainly be reminding them of their finding -- and so should the local MPs -- the next time a team gets close to moving to Hamilton. Whenever that is.

Because now we all know, for sure, that the NHL would never do anything anticompetitive.

Never. Ever.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 11:07 PM
Closed account

^^ Good article!

Quote:
"We were never concerned about an adverse finding, despite the fact that we were obviously the target of a misguided smear campaign intended to arouse public sentiment, especially in Canada," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press.
Wow. That's all I can say to THAT!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:50 AM
Closed account

i think we all realize that the maple leafs will never allow a team to re-locate to the hammer. that's always been the problem and always will be the problem. there isn't a greedier organization anywhere in professional sport.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:17 PM

If the economy in the US is really as bad as recent reports and a recession is imminent (if not already present), I would say there may be a few NHL teams in financial difficulties. That would mean some US teams are going to go on the auction block, or face closing down.

Think about it, if you can’t get a network TV contract, sell out games and make money in good times, how are things going to be in bad times. Hockey is really a fringe sport in many US markets (much of the US) and after 20+ years (some would say 30+) of trying to gain traction is not even near critical mass and acceptance in the public’s attention.

Perhaps the economy will finally force the NHL’s hand. Here's hoping.......

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
i think we all realize that the maple leafs will never allow a team to re-locate to the hammer. that's always been the problem and always will be the problem. there isn't a greedier organization anywhere in professional sport.
I used to believe this. Now, I'm not so sure.

First of all, it will require more than the Leafs and Sabres to scuttle a Hamilton franchise.

Secondly, I think you can play to the greed of MLSE. If you were MLSE, would you rather pay $10 million equalization payments to the Nashville's and Florida's, or have a successful and viable franchise an hour away in the Hammer? Also, approach the Leafs about using Leafs TV to air some Hamilton games. Become a partner with them, and nurture a natural rivalry.

I do believe that Hamilton will never be awarded a new franchise though. It has to come via relocation.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 4:50 PM

What's funny is that I think that a Hamilton Team could actually boost Leafs' income. I mean, we aren't going to suck away all of the fans. If anything, a Hamilton team would attract more anti-leaf fans who pick just about anyone BUT the Leafs out of spite than it would actual die hard leaf fans.

Imagine the possibilities of cross promotion, offering package ticket deals where you see one night in hamilton and one in toronto, and the rivalry that will build up could build both franchises up higher than they could have imagined.

i think it would end up being good for both teams. it would probably hurt buffalo more than toronto...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:52 PM

A Hamilton/Toronto rivalry would be pretty intense and would generate a lot of interest - even more than Toronto/Ottawa and maybe matching Toronto/Montreal.

I guess it could be called the "GO Series" as it would be one simple GO train ride away between the two cities (assuming GO extends train service all the way to Hamilton in the evening). Very convenient that the ACC and GO train are meshed together, and the Hunter St. station is only a few blocks from the Copps (James North an extra 2 or 3 blocks further).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:47 PM
Closed account

unfortunately, either mlse doesn't know or doesn't care about the potential benefits of having another team 45 mins down the road. all they see is competition and i don't believe that will ever change.

there'll likely be teams in winnipeg and quebec before hamilton. i thought i heard something about quebec building a new arena, so it looks like they might be back on the market for a team. actually, i wouldn't be surprised if there were teams in stockholm and london before we ever get a sniff.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Imagine the possibilities of cross promotion, offering package ticket deals where you see one night in hamilton and one in toronto, and the rivalry that will build up could build both franchises up higher than they could have imagined
The problem with that is the Leafs don't ever need to offer "ticket deals"........

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 4:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Balsillie still in the hunt as would-be team owner

Billionaire rumoured to have contacted Sabres owner about purchase

May 06, 2008 04:30 AM
Rick Westhead
Sports Business Columnist

Billionaire Jim Balsillie contacted the owner of the Buffalo Sabres about buying the team earlier this season, a sign the Research in Motion co-founder is still seeking an NHL franchise after two previous high-profile flameouts.

Balsillie phoned Sabres owner Tom Golisano around Christmas, according to a source familiar with the matter. Golisano indicated he would be open to selling the club – but not if Balsillie intended to relocate it

Golisano, founder of payroll processing company Paychex based in Rochester, N.Y., has long ties to the Western New York area. Worth about $1.8 billion, in 2003 he bought the Sabres out of bankruptcy for $92 million.

Comparatively, Balsillie's pursuit of an NHL team has been chock-a-block with tumult. The 47-year-old had a tentative agreement to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2006. But he withdrew his offer after learning the NHL would restrict his ability to move the club. His next attempt was to buy the Nashville Predators. That was scuttled last summer.

Balsillie indicated he would move that club to Hamilton and began taking deposits from prospective season ticket holders. But Predators' then-owner Craig Leipold would go on to sell the team for less money to local investors.

Some observers believe the NHL pressured Leipold to accept the less-lucrative offer to keep the team out of Balsillie's hands – and keep the Predators out of the Maple Leafs and Sabres backyard.

Balsillie's setbacks notwithstanding, several investment bankers who specialize in the sports industry said there's still a good chance he will wind up with an NHL team.

As concerns about the stalling U.S. economy continue to percolate, as many as half of the NHL's 30 teams – a group headlined by the Phoenix Coyotes, the Atlanta Thrashers and the Predators – could be available.

Balsillie, a long-time hockey fan who named conference rooms at RIM's head office after retired NHL stars such as Guy Lafleur, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe, isn't speaking publicly about his pursuit of an NHL club, his lawyer said.

In an interview with CBC last month, Balsillie said of his attempts to buy a franchise: "I don't know where the path is going to go. It started as something like, `Boy, this would be fun.'"

Asked about clashing with the NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman, he said, "They're doing what they're doing. For me it started as a fun thing. After a while, I got tired of feeling like a boarder in my own house. As a Canadian, I felt like I was a boarder in my own house."

Balsillie, who hired a former Ontario Hockey League player to whip him into shape for shinny games, said he plays hockey twice a week.

His position? "A rover," he told the CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos. "I don't know my goalie's name."

Several sports bankers said the Coyotes headline the list of NHL teams that Balsillie may now be targeting. The Coyotes are said to be losing as much as $30 million (U.S.) a season and are struggling to pad season-ticket sales, as well as local broadcast and sponsorship revenue. One obstacle to buying the Coyotes and moving them would be the team's lease, several bankers said.

Other NHL teams that could be available for sale include the Thrashers, Florida and Columbus, whose attendance slipped a league-high 9.5 per cent this season and whose owner John McCallum recently died.

In Buffalo, meantime, the Sabres have emerged as a small-market NHL success story. The Sabres sold out 38 of 40 home games this season, and drew 71,217 to an outdoor game at the NFL's Ralph Wilson Stadium. A lean operation – one team official said "we don't have a bunch of vice-presidents of this or that" – the Sabres also generated as much as $9 million from their local broadcast contract with broadcaster MSG and was cash-flow positive.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 4:45 PM
Closed account

here we go againnnnn!! hahaha

Coyotes, eh? Wayne Gretzky, eh? Hmmm, sounds intriguing. I know a certain coach/Great One who supports an NHL Franchise for Hamilton.

It's so unfortunate that the MLSE is a group of money-hungry, greedy, goons! The NHL would truly thrive if Hamilton, Winnipeg & QC were to get our teams back.

Should I keep my fingers crossed again? They started to go numb thru the whole Preds fiasco! haha

ps: I don't want the Sabres! They deserve to be there. Buffalo obviously loves Hockey and they love the Sabres. It wouldn't be fair to steal that from them. Take it from Phoenix, Columbus or FLA... City's that don't care! (for the record, I was against the potential purchase of the Pens back then too, as they're an obvious hockey town)

Last edited by DC83; May 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM. Reason: adding a note

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 5:31 PM

Didn't Phoenix just get a new arena via a truckload of public money? I don't see them moving.

Florida (Miami) is a hockey wasteland though. And I think Atlanta's in trouble. They had to trade one of their 2 best players this year (Hossa) and they've been mired in mediocrity for years.

I am a Leaf fan born and bred, but I would likely convert into a Hamilton fan and season ticket holder. I was one of flock who put money down the last time.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 6:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Getting the Coyotes would probably be Hamilton's best shot at getting an NHL team. Could you imagine Wayne as Coach in this area!? Pat Quinn as GM. Insane lol

Good to know that Jim Balsillie is still in the hunt for a new team.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 7:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
I am a Leaf fan born and bred, but I would likely convert into a Hamilton fan and season ticket holder. I was one of flock who put money down the last time.
I also put money down on those tix... I'm an optomist, what can I say...

I'm a born-n-bred Habs fan. This would be a very tough conversion for me. But like thousands others around, the conversion would happen and the team would make mad cash here.

Wayne would be happy to play in Hamilton... I seem to remember several highlight reels from a recent Sports Centre Top 10 (5 of the 10 -- it was Top 10 Goals wearing that half-maple leaf jersey) were from Wayne & Lemieux from the 89(?) Canada Cup? He seems to play pretty damn well in Copps!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation