HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Love so much about this, especially the design, but would make 2 changes. Turn the 2 story housing into 4 or 5 story mixed use units (housing over retail) and as mentioned above, get rid of the curb cuts along Hollywood blvd. Zero need for 950 parking spaces, that should be cut by 600
Unfortunately the proposal seems like one of those property schemes so that everyone fawns over the ambitious renderings and passes all the approvals and licenses in order to turn around sell the property package at a premium.

I like the proposal btw, but no need to sweat the details until the Toyota owners can prove this will actually happen or until they sell the property and we can see the realistic renderings from the future buyer of the plot.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Unfortunately the proposal seems like one of those property schemes so that everyone fawns over the ambitious renderings and passes all the approvals and licenses in order to turn around sell the property package at a premium.

I like the proposal btw, but no need to sweat the details until the Toyota owners can prove this will actually happen or until they sell the property and we can see the realistic renderings from the future buyer of the plot.
I almost think that the numerous curb cuts and driveways show that they haven't really fleshed this out too far. Hopefully something good happens, but there is precedent for car dealership property owners developing their own properties. Martin Cadillac is a recent example.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:50 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I almost think that the numerous curb cuts and driveways show that they haven't really fleshed this out too far. Hopefully something good happens, but there is precedent for car dealership property owners developing their own properties. Martin Cadillac is a recent example.
This is true, though the Martin Cadillac family ended up partnering with Hines.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:48 AM

Just a little blurb in my neck of the woods.

Playhouse Village Park opened in Pasadena on Saturday. I took a few pictures this evening (Tuesday, 9.20.2022).

Photo by me

Photo by me

Much nicer than the surface parking lot that used to be there. And there are more residents in the immediate are, with more to come because of ongoing housing construction, so a little park is nice.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:05 AM

edit

Last edited by ocman; Sep 21, 2022 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:41 AM
你的媽媽

^ Very nicely executed park with modern landscaping, modern bench seating and light fixtures!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Much nicer than the surface parking lot that used to be there.
I was in the pasadena area a few wks ago & noticed a lot of infill devlpmt is going up on former parking lots or replacing old vacant bldgs. I notice nothing has been done yet to the rundown abandoned Ford dealer lot at Colorado & Hill st. I think urbanize LA had a story about the property several months ago about a hotel being planned for it. A long vacant 7 or 8 story bldg further west on Colorado near Lake Ave, which I think was a former women's club (or something like that), has since been converted into a hotel....don't know how Covid affected it, but probably put a crunch on it.

Although Pasadena...& its dt....never went downhill as far as dtla did, it has seen some rocky times over the past decades. Pasadena still has long been sort of a balancing act for areas north of dtla....just as samo has been to areas west of it.

But now more recently I recall reading about how a person residing in the midwest traveled to a Jan 1st Rose bowl. He said that dtla was now a viable option to staying at hotel rms in pasadena or west LA....or torrance, etc. So LA in general through the yrs has gotten rid of its killer surface parking lots & other deadzones.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Big Tower Project Planned for Hollywood Boulevard
Toyota of Hollywood owners want to build a 3.7-acre development with 350 units and 136,000 square feet of office space

Quote:
The Sullivan family, owners of the well-known Toyota of Hollywood dealership, has proposed a major redevelopment of their property that would add a landmark mixed-use project along one of the main Hollywood corridors in Los Angeles.

The plan at 6000 Hollywood Boulevard includes adding a 35-story multifamily tower to the district’s skyline, along with a six-story office building and a series of low-rise residential townhome structures near the east end of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The full project calls for a combined 350 units — 44 of which will be designated for very low-income tenants — and 136,000 square feet of office space.
=======================
https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...t-development/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:52 PM

From PR Newswire:

Building from 1887 is Reimagined as a New Home for Lucid Motors

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Abbott Construction
Sep 26, 2022, 13:41 ET

Old is New Again as Sophisticated Retailers Seek Out Historic Real Estate

PASADENA, Calif., Sept. 26, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- After 135 years, Old Town Pasadena is getting an inside look at the historic bones of the Brunswick Court Building on Colorado Boulevard. This three-story gem is being carefully revitalized by builder Abbott Construction into an upscale mixed-use office and retail space. California luxury electric car company Lucid Motors has already nominated the ground level as its newest show floor.

"We're excited that upscale tenants like Lucid Motors want to be part of Brunswick Court," says owner Kurt Bierschenk of the Doheny Family Trust. "With neighbors like Tiffany & Co. and Apple, this will be a fantastic destination for shopping, working, and dining."

The renovation includes seismic upgrades, structural rebuild, full restoration of the historic exterior, plus a new entertainment space on the rooftop deck. "These beams haven't seen the sun since 1887," says Abbott Senior Superintendent Mark Freshwater. "With so few historic buildings in Southern California, it's always fun to bring a structure like this back to life."

The project reflects a growing West Coast trend of revitalizing older buildings into coveted new retail tenant and office spaces. Abbott Construction has seen an increased demand in both Seattle and Los Angeles for historic renovations.

Brunswick Court is scheduled for completion in November 2022. Leasing of the upper floors is still underway.

About Abbott Construction

Founded in 1983, Abbott Construction is a West Coast construction group known for superior management and field team, best-in-class standards and craftsmanship. Abbott's expertise runs deep in pre-construction, project planning, and the professional execution of construction in a variety of market sectors including healthcare, retail, office, non-profit, mixed-use, education, and seismic improvements. Abbott is a member of STO Building Group, and is headquartered in Seattle, with offices in Tacoma and Los Angeles. Learn more at abbottconstruction.com.

SOURCE Abbott Construction

Link: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301633354.html

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:04 PM

Finally. That building has been fenced off for what seems like forever. Love to see restorations like this and cant wait to see the finished project

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:42 AM

Film Academy’s Museum Connects With Visitors in First Year
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures attracted about 20 percent more people than it expected since opening in September 2021. Now it needs to keep the momentum going.

Abbreviated:
Quote:
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures has been something that almost no one in Hollywood expected: an instant hit.

After an almost comical series of setbacks, the Academy Museum opened in Los Angeles in September 2021 and has since attracted more than 700,000 visitors, about 20 percent more than its pandemic-adjusted goal, according to Bill Kramer, chief executive of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. (For months, gallery capacity was limited.) Half of the museum’s visitors have been under 40, he added, citing attendee surveys, and half have self-identified as being from underrepresented ethnic and racial communities. Adult tickets cost $25.
The museum has sold 24,000 memberships, which cost between $100 and $1,000 annually. Additional revenue has come from hosting more than 100 private events; renting out the glass-domed terrace atop the museum’s spherical theater building runs $50,000 on top of a corporate membership, which starts at $10,000. Fanny’s, the museum’s well-reviewed restaurant, has served more than 150,000 people, according to the academy. Dishes range from $16 to $90.

The museum’s gift shop has generated more than $6 million in sales, an amount that Kramer called “beyond our wildest expectations.” An Oscar made out of Legos, which sells for $500, and the $50 catalog for the museum’s Hayao Miyazaki exhibition have been among the top sellers.
Add in philanthropic contributions and additional revenue — an opening gala generated $11 million — and the Academy Museum is comfortably covering annual operating costs while delivering returns that will ultimately be used to pay down hundreds of millions of dollars in construction debt, Kramer said.

At the very least, the museum’s rosy first-year financial picture makes it something of a rarity among nonprofit cultural institutions, many of which are still reeling from the pandemic.
If nothing else, Angelenos now have somewhere to take Hollywood-fascinated visitors that does not involve the dreaded Hollywood & Highland shopping mall or the sticky, stinky Walk of Fame.

What the future holds is anyone’s guess. Tourism officials hope that 2023 will mark a full recovery for Los Angeles, which would benefit the museum; the number of visitors to the area, particularly from overseas, is still far behind prepandemic levels. But a recession could just as easily stymie growth.

The Academy Museum will also face increased competition in the years ahead. The adjacent Los Angeles County Museum of Art is in the middle of a colossal expansion. And construction has begun near downtown Los Angeles on the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, which will house items collected by George Lucas, including 20th-century American illustrations, comic books, costumes, storyboards, stage sets and other archival material from “Star Wars” and other movies.
Some notes: I don’t think it was a surprise to anyone that the largest film museum in the country costing almost half a billion in the center of the film capital was an instant hit.

For 2021 comparison:
LACMA: 621,000 visitors, Getty:508,000 (traditionally the most visited art museum in LA).
The Broad during it’s non-pandemic opening year in 2015: 820,000 visitors.
Zumthor’s LACMA opening in 2024 (which seems terribly optimistic). Lucas in 2025 (broke ground 2 years earlier than LACMA).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:52 PM

Developer plans second studio project in Hollywood with $600m expansion and upgrade of historic Art Deco complex on Cahuenga

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...or-soundstages

A historic Hollywood studio site where such stars as Rudolph Valentino and Lillian Gish made silent films is poised for a $600-million comeback in the new era of streaming entertainment.

The owner of Television Center, once home to Technicolor’s filmmaking laboratory and Metro Pictures Corp., plans to turn the dated complex on Romaine Street into a bigger, more modern studio that will rent production facilities to people who make movies and television shows.

Entertainment real estate developer Bardas Investment Group will submit plans to the city Thursday to transform Television Center in the heart of Hollywood by adding four soundstages and other production facilities, Managing Principal David Simon said.

The goal is to create a 620,000-square-foot studio on two city blocks with updated elements of a classic Hollywood film factory supported by fashionable offices for people in the industry and underground parking for more than 1,000 cars.

At Television Center, which will be renamed Echelon at Television Center, Simon hopes to start work within 18 months. Construction of each studio would take about two years to complete.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Last edited by ChelseaFC; Sep 29, 2022 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:22 PM

I remember 10 years ago when the media predicted "LA will lose majority of its studios very soon to other states". Seems like LA has been doubling its studio footprint since right before covid hit and seems to have picked up steam. Downtown studios and etc. I wonder what happened? Why the reversal ?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Film Academy’s Museum Connects With Visitors in First Year
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures attracted about 20 percent more people than it expected since opening in September 2021. Now it needs to keep the momentum going.

Abbreviated:

Some notes: I don’t think it was a surprise to anyone that the largest film museum in the country costing almost half a billion in the center of the film capital was an instant hit.

For 2021 comparison:
LACMA: 621,000 visitors, Getty:508,000 (traditionally the most visited art museum in LA).
The Broad during it’s non-pandemic opening year in 2015: 820,000 visitors.
Zumthor’s LACMA opening in 2024 (which seems terribly optimistic). Lucas in 2025 (broke ground 2 years earlier than LACMA).
I went to the Academy Museum several months ago, and thought it was amazing. It's hard to believe LA didn't have a real, quality museum dedicated to film making given it's the home of the industry. But it's a great addition to the cultural scene here. When the new LACMA opens, the La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum have been renovated, and the purple line subway opens, the Miracle Mile stretch will be a really amazing cultural destination!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Developer plans second studio project in Hollywood with $600m expansion and upgrade of historic Art Deco complex on Cahuenga

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...or-soundstages

A historic Hollywood studio site where such stars as Rudolph Valentino and Lillian Gish made silent films is poised for a $600-million comeback in the new era of streaming entertainment.

The owner of Television Center, once home to Technicolor’s filmmaking laboratory and Metro Pictures Corp., plans to turn the dated complex on Romaine Street into a bigger, more modern studio that will rent production facilities to people who make movies and television shows.

Entertainment real estate developer Bardas Investment Group will submit plans to the city Thursday to transform Television Center in the heart of Hollywood by adding four soundstages and other production facilities, Managing Principal David Simon said.

The goal is to create a 620,000-square-foot studio on two city blocks with updated elements of a classic Hollywood film factory supported by fashionable offices for people in the industry and underground parking for more than 1,000 cars.

At Television Center, which will be renamed Echelon at Television Center, Simon hopes to start work within 18 months. Construction of each studio would take about two years to complete.

This is great news… I wonder where my Gold’s Gym is going to move to. It’s been a staple of Hollywood and my main gym for 7 years. It’s interesting, the parking garage & dance studio just got built recently and the main building got a refresh that completed this year. If this project goes through as planned, it will have only lasted 5 years.

Also, got this in my email a few weeks ago about Toyota in Hollywood. I figured they were getting ready to move on from this location. Was there about 6 months ago and they’ve significantly scaled back their inventory. My immediate thought was that they were going to develop.

Quote:
We recently announced our plans to redevelop the Toyota of Hollywood dealership. This transformational mixed-use development will bring a second life to our Hollywood location, highlighted by a brand-new showroom with modern facilities appropriate for the future of car sales.

In addition, we envision creating new housing opportunities along with office, and restaurant and retail space on our lot. The new dealership will be situated on the ground-floor of the office building.

You can rest assured that Toyota of Hollywood is not going anywhere. With the submittal of our development application to the City of Los Angeles, we will now embark on a multi-year entitlement process that involves extensive environmental review, engagement with community stakeholders, and public hearings. We intend to remain open throughout this process and will continue to conduct business as usual before any shovels hit the dirt.

To learn more about our plans for the dealership during construction, please visit the project website at www.6000hollywoodblvd.com.
Be on the lookout in this area. It’s the next intersection that will explode with developments in the coming years. Pep Boys on Hollywood Blvd across from the Toyota dealership just closed last month and Hanover already has approval for its Hollywood/Gower tower to go up.

Oh and I forgot to circle and mention the 14 story Hotel proposal to the left of hollywood Gower tower next to the Fonda at El Centro Rd/Hollywood bl

https://la.urbanize.city/post/14-sto...-fonda-theatre

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This is great news… I wonder where my Gold’s Gym is going to move to. It’s been a staple of Hollywood and my main gym for 7 years. It’s interesting, the parking garage & dance studio just got built recently and the main building got a refresh that completed this year. If this project goes through as planned, it will have only lasted 5 years.

Also, got this in my email a few weeks ago about Toyota in Hollywood. I figured they were getting ready to move on from this location. Was there about 6 months ago and they’ve significantly scaled back their inventory. My immediate thought was that they were going to develop.

Be on the lookout in this area. It’s the next intersection that will explode with developments in the coming years. Pep Boys on Hollywood Blvd across from the Toyota dealership just closed last month and Hanover already has approval for its Hollywood/Gower tower to go up.

Oh and I forgot to circle and mention the 14 story Hotel proposal to the left of hollywood Gower tower next to the Fonda at El Centro Rd/Hollywood bl

https://la.urbanize.city/post/14-sto...-fonda-theatre
Sadly the Fonda tower is 100% dead. I am a bit dubious about the Gower Tower ever happening since it was approved right before COVID and there has been no news since. Still, fingers crossed.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:07 AM

Huge West Gateway complex to break ground next year in Downtown Long Beach[/size]

756 homes to replace surface parking next to the World Trade Center

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
October 4, 2022

Directly north of the World Trade Center in Downtown Long Beach, construction is set to begin next year for a large mixed-use residential development from Trammell Crow Residential.

The West Gateway project, slated to replace a roughly 5.6-acre parking lot at 600 W. Broadway, was announced in 2018 as part of Mayor Robert Garcia's Building a Better Long Beach presentation. Four years later, The Long Beach Business Journal reports that the Port of Long Beach has finally closed on its sale of the property to Trammell Crow Residential (TCR) for $30.25 million.

West Gateway will include six different buildings featuring 756 residential units, according to the Business Journal. Plans also call for 1,500 parking stalls, the bulk of which would be located in a nine-story garage, serving both residents of the property and users of neighboring hotel and office buildings.

Construction is expected to occur over three phases, the first two of which are expected to begin work in mid-2023, with the first move-ins expected in late 2025.

While plans for the West Gateway site had originally called for the construction of two high-rise buildings: a 21-story tower and a 40-story tower that would have become the tallest in Long Beach, TCR has since scaled back its plans. The smaller of the two high-rises has been eliminated, while the larger structure at Broadway and Golden Avenue has been pared back to a 30-story building. The remaining apartment buildings will stand seven and eight stories in height.

Studio One Eleven is designing the project, which breaks up the development site with new streets and pedestrian paths.

"Historically a neighborhood of smaller structures, this site was cleared for the construction of the World Trade Center and adjacent hotel and parking lots in the 1980s," reads a project description from the firm's website. "This project seeks to break down the megablock, reintroducing the historical street grid and bringing housing, live-work, and retail spaces to round out a vibrant, mixed use district."

In addition to housing, the project is expected to incorporated retail space at Broadway and Maine Avenue, as well as amenities including lounges, a fitness studio, a business center, a swimming pool, a sky deck, and multiple courtyards.

The scale of West Gateway, as its name suggests, will allow the project to serve as a western bookend to Downtown Long Beach, complementing the 35-story Shoreline Gateway tower that recently debuted at Ocean Boulevard and Alamitos Avenue. The project also abuts The Magnolia, a smaller 142-unit apartment complex which recently opened on a property located directly east on Broadway.

[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly surprised this was still a go. I thought it was dead. Glad to see its still alive. Also looks like there's a 21-story proposed on the old Long Beach Cafe location. Long Beach is finally getting in on the action every other city in the region was getting.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 13, 2022 at 1:21 AM. Reason: Being Respectful

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:25 AM

I did not post that article in this thread--I posted it in the Long Beach thread.

Caligrad, why did you cut-and-paste my post in here and then respond here instead of just responding in the dedicated Long Beach thread?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:03 AM

I noticed more actiivity today at the Century City site. Can anyone else confirm it's more going on than before?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:12 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I did not post that article in this thread--I posted it in the Long Beach thread.

Caligrad, why did you cut-and-paste my post in here and then respond here instead of just responding in the dedicated Long Beach thread?
Sure. For a few reasons. It may be a dedicated thread for LB but it's a thread that I said from the start (2013) shouldn't have existed to begin with. There's not enough going on in LB to warrant its own thread and it sees near zero-foot traffic. Created in 2014 and only has 4 pages. 2.5 of those pages are literally just me and Blackcat while 1.5 is citywatch and other random drop ins.

The LB page gets pushed down frequently (waaaaaaay down) on the boards and gets forgotten until I or black cat or someone randomly post on there. Not sure if you were around back then but it was a tug of war on if it should be created or not. Ever been to the front page of this page? LB projects/proposals old and new are there as well so . I'll just get the article directly if the quote bothered you or was this an attempt to police another civilian like in the viral videos we've seen the last few years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations