HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:03 PM

^ Eso Won is closing? That place is an institution

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 10:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Just got back from Vancouver, having ridden the SkyTrain for the first time. My experience riding it underscored what I already believed: automated, high-frequency, grade-separated (elevated) heavy rail is essential to changing the way Angelenos think about public transit, car-freedom, walkability, and density.

A big, spread out city like LA demands nothing less. Anybody have $250 billion?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:10 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ Eso Won is closing? That place is an institution
Yes, the owners have decided to retire. It's very sad, but it's an understandable decision on their part. They are old and running a bookstore is hard!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Just got back from Vancouver, having ridden the SkyTrain for the first time. My experience riding it underscored what I already believed: automated, high-frequency, grade-separated (elevated) heavy rail is essential to changing the way Angelenos think about public transit, car-freedom, walkability, and density.

A big, spread out city like LA demands nothing less. Anybody have $250 billion?
We are close to having it here in LA. Sepulveda Transit Corridor Partners; aka. Bechtel, is proposing Skytrain technology with Linear Induction Motors (I know, I'm obsessed) like Vancouver's Evergreen and Expo lines for the Sepulveda Pass here. Be sure to give your feedback to Metro opens up the next phase of feedback.

I've been obsessed ever since I went there and rode the system.

LA really figured out how to do Elevated Rail in a beautiful way. I see a need to share what they are doing well on elevated because there are people in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood association (and other areas) that want to add billions to the Sepulveda pass train by putting the entire valley section underground. They could have beautifully green structures like West LA... and the views.... oh dont get me started

You can't even tell there are tracks and the hedges are higher than the tracks, calming down the sound even more.

This is amazing. Well done Metro!!! More elevated in Los Angeles.

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 27, 2022 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:22 AM

No thanks, I'll take the hsr that actually hits destinations and isn't next to a freeway for half it's route. I like elevated as well for the views and character it adds to a city but in this case, option 6 hsr is the way to go

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
No thanks, I'll take the hsr that actually hits destinations and isn't next to a freeway for half it's route. I like elevated as well for the views and character it adds to a city but in this case, option 6 hsr is the way to go
Based on community feedback that was presented in the report; as of right now, Sepulveda bl will be the route chosen in the Valley as there is overwhelming support for both options along this road (options 4 & 5), which are both Bechtel using Skytrain technology. Even though option 6 (Van Nuys bl) is in the running as a strong 2nd place contender, option 5 is 1st place and the combined attention & requests from community for both 4&5 Sepulveda alignments to the Van Nuys alignment is roughly 2/3 to 1/3... The question is… once every other alignment has been eliminated, the debate is… will Sepulveda be elevated (4) or subterranean (5)? Right now the sub is winning… but this is LA. They could flip from bottom to top at any moment.

In my opinion, LA is spread out enough that subways should only be for densely packed areas like downtown LA, central Los Angeles and beneath mountains. Everywhere else can support elevated rail with our many 100 foot wide boulevard grids throughout the basin and valleys. Beautiful vistas and calm breezes is our hallmark and it’s not just for the rich who can afford to live in a high rise or on the hills… it can be for the public to enjoy while riding/waiting for a train.

https://www.dailynews.com/2007/06/11...f-freeway/amp/

https://thesource.metro.net/2022/06/...ridor-project/

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 29, 2022 at 7:31 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation