HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:37 AM

^^^ I don't know why ppl keep saying the two buildings look alike, i just don't see it. The Waldorf was by far my favorite supertall proposal while I've always found the Shanghai tower to be ugly.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It looks like it had some influence on the original design:

Credit: http://www.toshiba-elevator.co.jp/el...ts/major02.jsp

Looks pretty similar to:

Without the opening at the top.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:52 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Nothing beats the mile high Illinois designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Chicago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illinois

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 3:43 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

alternatives to the current monument at the jefferson national expansion memorial, presented in 1947.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net

percival goodman. wut.

paul valenti. this would have aged terribly. included subway under the river and an airport (?). dystopic.

eames, eames, and entenza. needs more gluestick (huffing glue?)

weise, adams, and obata. prophecy????
needs some kind of space-time modulation megalith.

eliel saarinen, eeros father (eero of course submitted the winning design). evokes fascist monumentalism for me, also the mississippi would have it's way with all that pretty white concrete.

gropius. dude. upsetting.

entry number 44, eero saarinen. also included parkland on the east side of the river.

second place, eng, phillips, and foster.

armstrong. a runner up.

third place. bregel, hornbostel, and caleb.

Last edited by Centropolis; Dec 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Nothing beats the mile high Illinois designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Chicago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illinois
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Wright stated that there would be parking for 15,000 cars and 150 helicopters.

Oh, the humanity!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:43 PM

as far as things i would have actually liked to have seen "built" were political achievements, which would have served to centralize power and population, but that failed:

the 1883 elevated rapid transit (L) lines:

nextstl.com

included a line south, west, and north. there were subsequent, modernised versions of this plan that included more underground alignments. i believe it was put to voters two or three times.

in 1876, st. louis city suceeded from st. louis county, citing rural st. louis county as a cost burden and formed it's own urban county. under a 1926 plan and the bourough plan of 1962, would have re-united st. louis city and county into a municipal county like new york city. clayton probably would not have happened.

copyright bill cobb

earlier st. louis riverfront plan:

stltoday.com

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:01 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
NYC: Met Life Tower is the granddaddy of all fantastic, unbuilt projects.

link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Wow, how tall would that have been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A 100 stories tall was the original proposal. The current structure is around 450 feet at 30 floors. The original tower would of been in the range of 1400-1500 feet if we use a proportion.
For reference, the neighboring Metlife Tower is 700ft tall.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:06 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Build it, Credit Suisse!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:12 PM

Speaking of never built subway lines, the 1923 Kelker proposals for the Chicago 'L' might have been the most transformative for the city if they were built.

If only they were built.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 6:11 PM

wow, never knew of that plan for chicago. that would have been transformative for the outlying neighborhoods of chicago. i imagine that the mid/outer city would have been closer to NYC outer borough density.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 6:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i imagine that the mid/outer city would have been closer to NYC outer borough density.
i doubt it. while that el/subway plan would have been transformative for the city, by the time chicago's outer neighborhoods were being developed, the american dream of owning a single family home was in full-swing, and chicago never had a land crunch anything remotely like island-bound NYC. my guess is that the bungalow belt would have been the bungalow belt, with or without the build-out of that rail plan. however, it would have allowed those areas to become less car-dependent, so we might have witnessed better preservation of the traditional retail strips out in the neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 6:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Whoaaa. I really like this.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i doubt it. while that el/subway plan would have been transformative for the city, by the time chicago's outer neighborhoods were being developed, the american dream of owning a single family home was in full-swing, and chicago never had a land crunch anything remotely like island-bound NYC. my guess is that the bungalow belt would have been the bungalow belt, with or without the build-out of that rail plan. however, it would have allowed those areas to become less car-dependent, so we might have witnessed better preservation of the traditional retail strips out in the neighborhoods.
true. perhaps there would have been more mid-century tower blocks carpeting the skyline looking west from downtown, though.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:

^^ and the below SF Transbay Tower proposal were the 2 somewhat recent US proposals I most wanted to make love to. But unfortunately we will not see either.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodelli View Post
------------------------------------ 80 st Book Tower ----------- Yamasaki ---- US Steel clone ---- Twin of One Detroit ------------------------------------------------------------------- Riverfront Towers east of Ren Cen

scottrreed's Bucket
http://s66.photobucket.com/user/scot...oit-1.jpg.html
I have never heard of the US Steel Clone for Detroit, anybody have more information on that?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:23 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
For Pittsburgh, I'd mention:
  • Two Oxford Centre
  • Proposed subway system from the 1920s
  • One Grandview
  • Office-retail complex where BNY Mellon Client Services Center currently stands

Two Oxford was supposed to be a 52-story post-modern skyscraper, proposed in the late 1980s but abandoned not too long after

Pittsburgh had a very extensive subway system planned as early as the 1920s and had secured some grants before abandoning the proposal some time in the '40s.

One Grandview was to be a residential/retail/hotel complex that included a 21-story high-end hotel. The project has since been modified after failed attempts to secure funding and now they want to build utter crap in its place. What they want to build instead looks like barracks, or a spread-out 1950s school campus.

Before Mellon built their client services center, there was a proposal to put a couple of office buildings surrounding an urban shopping complex right in between US Steel Tower and One Mellon Bank Center. One of the buildings was to rise 53 floors and rise above the 841-foot tall US Steel Tower. Unfortunately, the recession in the early 1990s killed this proposal.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 11:32 AM

To me the cityhouse and olympic was the one that got away for Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I remember that proposal. The art-deco nature of it was what really made it stand out. Sort of a cross between the 1930's and the Princess Tower in Dubai, only much shorter. Would of been a gem if built.

Supposedly Stern is working on a art-deco type tower called "Wilshire Gayley Hotel", but IDK that status of that. Stale-proposal I believe. There is a website for that project, and it looks like they are seeking investors from what I gather.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
For Pittsburgh, I'd mention:
  • Two Oxford Centre
  • Proposed subway system from the 1920s
  • One Grandview
  • Office-retail complex where BNY Mellon Client Services Center currently stands

Two Oxford was supposed to be a 52-story post-modern skyscraper, proposed in the late 1980s but abandoned not too long after

Pittsburgh had a very extensive subway system planned as early as the 1920s and had secured some grants before abandoning the proposal some time in the '40s.

One Grandview was to be a residential/retail/hotel complex that included a 21-story high-end hotel. The project has since been modified after failed attempts to secure funding and now they want to build utter crap in its place. What they want to build instead looks like barracks, or a spread-out 1950s school campus.

Before Mellon built their client services center, there was a proposal to put a couple of office buildings surrounding an urban shopping complex right in between US Steel Tower and One Mellon Bank Center. One of the buildings was to rise 53 floors and rise above the 841-foot tall US Steel Tower. Unfortunately, the recession in the early 1990s killed this proposal.
Pittsburgh has a subway system now doesn't it or am I mistaken?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 10:32 PM

Love that gorgeous Cityhouse and Olympic throwback proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Whoaaa. I really like this.
We SSC locals all loved it when it was revealed. It's still alive, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully they will retain many of the flourishes, not to mention the height of the twin towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture