HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Goldman Sachs World Headquarters in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 8:24 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Just look at where our tax dollars are going to bail out these companies. All in One Shot. (Sarcastic)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:31 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
Impossible to work with

Never mind...

I said "boring" which in my part of the world just means it isn't to be read as boring per say.

New York has one of the best skylines for sure... and most consistent.
But it is pretty much just boxes or extruded ortogonal plans. I was hoping for the Freedom Tower and that area to change that with the current movements in architecture. But New York seems to be a little conservative when it comes to the skyline.

London, Dubai(in a few years when there is a better consistency), Shanghai(well a number of chinese cities spring to mind) even Moscow or doing things that makes New York fall behind of the actual design of the skyline.

Goldman Sachs is out of a different tradition than the one I appreciate... maybe that's why. And it sits well in New York... but would be considered a waste of money in many other places.

But do not misunderstand me New York's skyline isn't boring.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 1:09 AM
Astorian

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 2:16 AM

That is one hell of a photo:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 5:29 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

so what's the story with the lighting scheme? mostly the top is not illuminated.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 3:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
so what's the story with the lighting scheme? mostly the top is not illuminated.
The building is somewhat just getting completed, like the Bank of America Tower. Maybe they are stil working up there, but it's only a matter of time before the lighting scheme is complete, if not already.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 4:37 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The building is somewhat just getting completed, like the Bank of America Tower. Maybe they are stil working up there, but it's only a matter of time before the lighting scheme is complete, if not already.
ah i see, thanks for explaining. i just wanted to make sure that the roof will be illuminated once they are done with everything.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 6:08 PM

For a while I thought this tower was so bright because of the construction lights, but now that it's almost done I'm a little disappointed. It's kind of obnoxious.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 6:49 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
For a while I thought this tower was so bright because of the construction lights, but now that it's almost done I'm a little disappointed. It's kind of obnoxious.
yeah, you mean like GS is trying to steal the show? well today everyone is working hard to establish a visible footprint (/impact) in the manhattan skyline. unfortunately some are trying too hard with bad results. but i wouldn't say GS is exaggerating, i've seen worse.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:41 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Bright lights is what gives you those spectacular water reflection night-time shots.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 12:55 AM
Astorian

March 16th, 2010

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:23 PM

I took this one yesterday..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Now that it has been completed, one can only appreciate this building even more. Great addition to Lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 8:25 PM
World Machine

Very sleek shots, they show off the building very well.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfisher View Post
I think this is just another addition to the already "boring" skyline of New York.

Its been done and seen before... not even the incredible simplicity of the structure does anything for it...

But... it isn't ugly... just insignificant.
boring wat an insulting word to use on New Yorks divine skyline.....

and i love this tower i think that both the mass and height are great it fills a hole in lower manhattan nicely and has created an ever greater canyon around the WTC,simply great

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 8:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...al_real_estate

Goldman Sachs's New Palace Creates Princes, Serfs

By SUSANNE CRAIG
APRIL 16, 2010

Quote:
Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s new headquarters in lower Manhattan has the kind of amenities befitting masters of Wall Street. The $2.1 billion steel-and-glass building has giant murals, opera-house ceiling heights, and a gym with overachiever fitness classes, like "Awesome Abs."

But a new class of haves and have-nots has emerged—even at Goldman where the notion of have-nots is relative. Outside offices are now reserved only for the firm's more than 300 elite partners. Managing directors, next down in the Goldman hierarchy, almost always get windowless inside offices.

And vice presidents, many of whom had offices before the move, now sit at open-space workbenches that in an earlier era would have been called a typing pool. They aren't thrilled.

"I haven't had a desk like this since high school," said one employee who asked not to be named.

Even some managing directors are grousing. Vice presidents, they note, often get a window seat at their bullpen desks, a sort of consolation prize for having lost an office. "I used to have an office with a view," explained one managing director. "Now I need binoculars to see sunlight."

In many other ways, though, Goldman employees aren't feeling let down by the upgrade. Unlike their old digs on 85 Broad St., which was cramped and had an obstructed view of New Jersey, Goldman's new space at nearby 200 West St. is steps away from the Hudson River, offering a panorama that includes New York Harbor.

The company has been secretive about its new headquarters, especially as it tries to counter criticism that has hurt the company's sterling image. So far, 6,500 of the 7,500 employees that will work in the 43-story building have moved in. Chairman and Chief Executive Lloyd Blankfein arrived a few weeks ago.

Goldman broke ground in 2005. The construction was plagued with problems. In 2007, seven tons of steel fell off the 740-foot-tall building, paralyzing an architect on the ground. Then a sheet of steel plummeted from the 18th floor, landing in a baseball field where a Little League game was being played. There were no injuries.

The first employees arrived by November 2009. The building occupies 2.1 million square feet and features six massive trading floors, each larger than a football field and equipped with enough flat-screen monitors to stock a Best Buy. The basement houses 92 storage tanks that hold 1.7 million pounds of ice made each night when electricity rates are lower than during daytime hours. Air cooled by the melting ice circulates throughout the building.

One of the building's most notable features is the Sky Lobby on the 11th floor. Flooded with light from a glass ceiling, the area resembles a massive auditorium-like space that houses banks of conference rooms, a cafeteria and employee gym. Henry Cobb, a partner at Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, the building's lead architect, calls the Sky Lobby the "living room" of the building.

Baristas serve French Toast Baba pastries and lattes in the cafe, not to be confused with the Sky Lobby cafeteria that offers a deep panini lineup and deadly cupcakes, employees say. Considering the old building's cafeteria was in a windowless basement, one of the most welcome features of the new eatery is the light of day.

The 54,000-square foot gym, called the GS Wellness Exchange, has classes from 5:45 a.m. to 7:50 p.m. The new steam rooms for men and women are drawing mixed reviews. Some employees find the idea of "steaming" with co-workers objectionable. Others, not so much. "Once you have seen your colleagues naked in the locker room, steaming with them isn't that weird," says one employee.

The employee reading lounge features Goldman-approved books, including "On the Brink," the bestseller by former Goldman Chairman and CEO turned Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Jr. Employees also can thumb through "The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking" by Kevin Hogan and Mitch Albom's "Have a Little Faith: A True Story."

The reading room is too hushed and open for vice presidents evicted from their old offices to use for confidential phone calls. If they have sensitive issues to discuss, they can slip into private offices now reserved for visitors.

"If I had been at a bench my whole life, it would be fine," said one vice president, "but I used to have an office."

A little more from the artile...

Quote:
By the Numbers
Key facts about the new headquarters building

$2.1 billion
Cost of Goldman's new headquarters

$13.39 billion
Company's profit in 2009

Number of employees set to work in the building

Roughly 300
Partners with outside-view offices

1.7 million
Pounds of ice made daily in the basement to cool the building

Classes in Goldman's gym starting at 8 a.m. or earlier, including "Martial Arts Boot Camp"

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 12:50 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture