HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:42 AM

About South Philly Dump ca 1946

Hi,

World War II had recently ended and the dump in South Philly was located south of Marconi Plaza. The are was one of the unofficial playgrounds for many children at the time. Among the items of interest in the dump were discarded inventories of military components such as springs, nuts and bolts all in very sturdy wood crates.
Also and the primary reason for this post there was the remains of a Greco Roman style building. There were fluted columns and a granite stair case and various other architecturally interesting pieces. The building was possibly the remains of a court house or bank or...
Does anyone know the story behind the building? I am writing a book about this era in South Philly.

Thanks,

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:28 PM

That sounds interesting. I live in South Philly and have never heard of the former dump south of Marconi Plaza.

Maybe post this question in one of the Philly specific threads, like the highrise thread? See https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...g=philadelphia

You could also try the Philly subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Philadelphia

There are probably some good Philly urbanist type facebook pages where you could go, but I'm not on Facebook.

I don't think this forum would be all that helpful based on what I've seen.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:49 PM
America's Hometown

I have to say it....South Philly's most famous dump...Veterans Stadium....wasn't opened until 1971.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 12:31 AM

The Wikipedia article on Marconi Plaza suggests maybe it was a remnant of the original decor?

Quote:
The original design of the Plaza was a two level terrace with pathways, marble trims, urns, influenced by landscaped architecture modeling after Roman gardens and English gardens. The east and west plaza reflected the same winding pathways leading to a raised stepped terrace surrounded by stone railings and entrance sculptures of large urns with two small "reflecting" pools of water facing Broad Street at the center point, which at that time was cut away from the curbline forming half circles open to traffic on both the east and west. This accent was used in 1926 to position a large Liberty Bell at the center of the street permitting traffic to circle around.

Over the years many of the fine details have been erased including the half circled indented curbline on either side of Broad Street at the center.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions