HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:17 PM

This one is kind of an anomolly for it's location. Most old buildings along this stretch of Yong get torn down or fecaded for condos.

Images from: urbantoronto.ca

From this

to this

Also they only submitted plans to make it look like this, so they have done a pretty spectacular job so far. I wish more buildings would restore their cornices.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:41 PM

85 Richmond Street
Another Toronto building getting her cornice back.

source: https://farm8.static.flickr.com

construct. by Jonathan Castellino, on Flickr

source: https://cdn.skyrisecities.com

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Salt building, built in 1931:

Salt Building - 1933/2011 by entheos_fog, on Flickr

2006, photo courtesy of bob_2006 on Flickr:

Domtar Salt Building - 1931 by Bob_2006, on Flickr

And 2010. This building is situated right in Olympic Village and played a key role in the games. It's still sitting vacant but there's talk of a brew pub or restaurant opening up in here soon:

Salt Building and Others by entheos_fog, on Flickr
My reply is 6 years late, I know. We were in Vancouver for the first time last September and my girlfriend's aunt, who lives in the Olympic Village, told us about the building. Was it always situated in that spot or was it moved from somewhere else?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 5:02 PM

Zibi in Ottawa-Gatineau, a former pulp and paper industrial complex. This perspective is on the Gatineau side, near the intersection of Laurier and Eddy looking south towards Ottawa.

Streetview from 2017, before major work had started.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4243...7i13312!8i6656

August 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Yes, you are right, missed the sentence in the article. Corrected my post.
Corresponding picture from August:
Rendering of final product.

https://obj.ca/index.php/article/co-...-gatineau-zibi

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 7:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is a small one in progress in Halifax, the NFB building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
Hey folks!

Just throwing these up in response to Ian's post above. I happened to be on foot today so I thought I'd snap a few pics. The 'ol girl is coming together! I haven't seen any of the final renderings so I'm happy to see that it looks like they're re-creating the old roof. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product on this one!.

Source: My image
It originally had a small tower on its roof but they are reconstructing a very limited version of it. It's a bit of a planning fail; the current height limits don't permit the reconstruction of a feature that was removed sometime during the 20th century,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Here's a different view with the 'tower' from 1900-ish.

https://johnwood1946.wordpress.com/c...orized/page/3/
I thought this small passageway was neat too. Keith Hall, the building on the left, was restored a few years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 8:06 PM
New Brunswick booster!

From the Uptown Saint John thread.

Application for a Heritage Permit to replace windows on the second and third storeys with 2/2, aluminum-clad wood windows.

RECOMMENDATION
Approve a Heritage Permit:
a) repair and restore the existing brickmoulds on the second and third storeys of the
Canterbury Street façade;
b) to the rear of the brickmoulds, replace windows on the second and third storeys
20-22 Canterbury across from the future "Telegraph" building.

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 8:09 PM

Handsom structure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 8:38 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Saint Johns downtown or "uptown" by the locals because of its location on a hill is going through a renaissance. Hundreds of buildings are being restored and repurposed. The uptown areas population went up 15% between 2011 and 2016.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:00 PM

New atrium between two heritage industrial buildings in Hull, Québec with a spectacular view of Downtown Ottawa and Parliament.

Quote:
First event in the new atrium @zibiCanada - appreciation lunch for trades on site. Looking pretty sweet.

https://twitter.com/RodneyWilts/stat...92969968283648

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:25 PM

Massey Hall is coming along nicely. they seem to be right on schedule. This is the longest continually operating performing arts centre in Canada, and second only to Carnegie Hall as the largest of its age in North America.

source: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/12...nd-massey-hall

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

After sitting empty for the last 13 years, the 1910-built Paradise Cinema has been restored & reopened, with a new reproduction of its 1930s sign:

Paradise
by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:42 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
After sitting empty for the last 13 years, the 1910-built Paradise Cinema has been restored & reopened, with a new reproduction of its 1930s sign:

Paradise
Nothing makes me happier than to see an old movie house restored. I have so many good memories in movie theatres across the continent that every time one closes it hurts just a little bit...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
My reply is 6 years late, I know. We were in Vancouver for the first time last September and my girlfriend's aunt, who lives in the Olympic Village, told us about the building. Was it always situated in that spot or was it moved from somewhere else?
Fairly certain that was it's original location.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
From the Uptown Saint John thread.

Application for a Heritage Permit to replace windows on the second and third storeys with 2/2, aluminum-clad wood windows.

RECOMMENDATION
Approve a Heritage Permit:
a) repair and restore the existing brickmoulds on the second and third storeys of the
Canterbury Street façade;
b) to the rear of the brickmoulds, replace windows on the second and third storeys
20-22 Canterbury across from the future "Telegraph" building.

[/QUOTE]

Every time I go to Saint John I can't help but be impressed by their restoration and preservation of heritage buildings. If Halifax went to one-fifth of the effort of Saint John I would consider us fortunate.

Thanks for posting this.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Paradise
Nice save on the theatre. It's nice to see a reproduction sign added - do you know if it was done with neon or LEDs? I'm just curious of what the state of the art is now for old-style neon signs.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
A look at the phase 1 restoration of the 1906 James Avenue Pumping Station in The Exchange District. It had received heritage designation on November 15th, 1982 and operated until 1986 when the City of Winnipeg closed the station. It has sat abandoned and unused ever since. Today it's the HQ for ThinkShift, a marketing firm, there will soon be a restaurant/retail space open on the main level along Waterfront Drive. Phase two & three will see residential buildings developed on the east and west sides of the pump house.

James Ave Pumping Station Redevelopment
Developers: ALSTON PROPERTIES LTD.
Architect(s) : 5468796 Architecture Inc
Project Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=223833
Phase 1: 18,600 SF of office/retail space in the James Ave Pumping Station Building. 100% leased. Spring 2018 occupancy.

Note: I removed most of the photos in the quote to reduce the space.

Just wanted to say, now that is an impressive historic building! It has such a significant history, and it's amazing that the pumps are being kept to preserve that history. It's almost hard to imagine as there is a level of impracticality that many businesses would not want to buy into - but there they are in all their mechanical beauty! Two thumbs up!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:54 PM

An upcoming heritage restoration of a former bread factory on the Trillium Line's (future) Gladstone Station as part of a major development project.

From the Twitter feed of a local CBC reporter, Kate Porter.

Quote:
At built-heritage sub-cmte today: designation for the old bread building that houses artists on Gladstone. Trinity has applied to build towers & retain bread building. Planner Lesley Collins says it's her longest running file at #ottcity, on her desk for 9 years. #hintonburg
Quote:
Collins says the building that once housed the Standard Bread Company Bakery, co-owned by G. Cecil Morrison (Jean Pigott, Grete Hale and Gay Cook's father), is a rare example of early 20th century industrial. A landmark on the small hill beside the railway tracks. #ottcity

Quote:
.@HintonburgCA asked for the designation. Linda Hoad says she worries the artists will be displaced. "We owe those artists," she says. If @enrichedbread hadn’t occupied it since 1990, the building might have been subject to demolition, Hoad says. #ottcity #kitchissippi

Quote:
Trinity's proposal for the 3 towers on the O-Train will go to planning committee in the new year. Originally this heritage designation and that application were to be ready for the same meeting. BG: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ecca-1.4899037 … #ottcity
Quote:
Changes to the bread building will need to come back before built heritage sub-committee. Trinity is expected to take off the white paint. The sub-committee approves the heritage designation, and it goes to planning committee January 23. #ottcity
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...10673566015488

http://www.trinity-group.com/propert...one-loretta-2/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renn View Post
Another Heritage building turned loft

736 Dundas St E, https://nickandhilary.com/tannery-lofts

736 Dundas St E, Tannery Lofts, https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...king-north.jpg

looks like they added an addition on top when they converted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If you're going to try and replicate and fail, might as well go modern on the addition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I don't mind it at all. In fact, I always thought it was an addition done many many years ago.
I don't consider it a fail - in fact it was not uncommon back then for additional floors to not match the original building. I can think of 2 buildings in Halifax that match that description - both suffered fires in the early 1900s and had additional floors added on in the rebuild, that did not match the construction of the original floors:

1) The Dennis Building:

Source

Source

Visible in its original configuration in the background of this 1869 photo:

Source

Aftermath of 1912 fire (where it had an odd top-floor addition at some point):

Source

2) The Morses Tea Building:

Source

Source

Its original configuration (before the fire of 1927):

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=137

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:58 PM

I guess I hadn't really thought about it. I guess I always believe modern additions to historic buildings should reflect the current era.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:19 AM

The above cases, especially the Morse's Tea bldg, followed your idea exactly. They added 2 storeys using the building material popular at time (clay brick in 1927) to an earlier ironstone building.

I guess I just wanted to say that having a non-matching addition wasn't an immediate fail (in my opinion anyhow), because many surviving buildings have had similar additions added similarly in history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada