HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 2:38 PM
Show me the blueprints

I just wish it was wider.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Well, actually don't. Because Batman is not set in New York, but in the fictional Gotham City. Obviously, Gotham City is modeled after New York, but is not New York, it is supposed to be a different city. It has a general image similar to New York, but they don't include the more iconic buildings and monuments, such as WTC, ESB or the Statue of Liberty and they give other icons to it instead. If these supertalls become iconic, they can't include them in a Batman movie, because it is Gotham City and not NY.

That said, the rendering do look like it was taken directly from a Batman movie.
Gotham = New York City

Gotham City = (0.95)(New York City)

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 8:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
@JDSDevelopmentGroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Well, actually don't. Because Batman is not set in New York, but in the fictional Gotham City. Obviously, Gotham City is modeled after New York, but is not New York, it is supposed to be a different city.

That said, the rendering do look like it was taken directly from a Batman movie.

I realize that some of you may not be old enough to realize this, but New York was Gotham before there was a Batman.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/us...an-829789.html

New York Was Gotham Before 'Batman'

Check the photo gallery here for some cool pics...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...lery-1.1114145

The original Gotham City: New York City in the '30s and '40s

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2011/01/25/...-gotham-anyway

Quote:
So, Why Do We Call It Gotham, Anyway?

New York is a city of nicknames—the Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, Empire City, The City So Nice They Named It Twice... but let’s just concentrate on one: Gotham.

For some, the term Gotham City is forever tied to the Batman comic universe.....In fact, the nickname goes a lot further back than 1940, when in Batman issue number four, Gotham City is named for the first time.

For a history of the term “Gotham,” one doesn’t have to go much further than Edwin Burrows’ and Mike Wallace's Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898. Always one of our most popular reference books in the Milstein Division of U.S. History, Local History, and Genealogy, Gotham is a massive but fascinating chronicle of New York City history. It is here that we learn that the term Gotham is tied to the author Washington Irving, famous for his short stories “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” and “Rip Van Winkle.”

Irving was sort of a ringleader of a group known as the Lads of Kilkenny, a group Burrows’ describes as “a loosely knit pack of literary-minded young blades out for a good time.” The Lads made their rounds of the Park Theater and the Shakespeare Tavern, and some of them eventually organized to create the literary magazine called Salmagundi.

In Salmagundi, Irving and the Lads published essays concerning events in “the thrice renowned and delectable city of GOTHAM,” thereby creating a nickname for New York which is now over two hundred years old. Irving, coincidentally, also coined the term “Knickerbocker” with his book A History of New York, From the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty ... by Diedrich Knickerbocker), which Irving attributed to the fictional Knickerbocker.

It’s without doubt that New Yorkers have indeed embraced the nickname, Gotham. It no longer invokes a foolish village of goat herders, and sometimes invokes the darkened noirish version as popularized through Batman, but it can be referencing New York in several ways. From the Gotham typeface font to the Gotham Center of New York History and all of the businesses with Gotham in their names in between, the moniker remains a permanent part of New York City’s character.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62563...-called-gotham

Quote:
By repeatedly using “Gotham” in a publication created to lampoon New York culture, Irving was poking a little fun at the city and its residents by comparing it to a village where people pretended to be crazy. New Yorkers embraced the moniker, either not aware that Irving was mocking them, or out of pride for being considered craftily crazy.

http://www.gothamcenter.org/about/

Anyway, this tower along with all of the other new spires and "needle" towers will bring back the classic skyline long associated with the city.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 7:08 AM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 13, 2015

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:01 PM

Of all the new towers that have been or will be built lately this one is my favorite I am loving the renderings! I love Nordstom too, but this one has that vintage feel I love. I wish it was a bit wider, but it's still a really cool design. I am a huge classic movie & all things vintage buff, & I especially love art deco, & this tower is going to be a lovely addition. It's art deco & contemporary all in one. Tim Burton's Batman is one of my favorite movies & it looks exactly like something out of it, it's very "Gotham"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
This is the Capital of the World, and it's the Age of Ramses.
hey tex could you return to adding "lads" at the end of your signature proclamation there? not sure why you dropped it, but that makes it more jaunty and a bit more earthy and relatable i think.

a tip o' me newsboy cap to ye.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 1:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Slight bump in height. I'll take it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Haha, so Gotham is named after the village of Gotham in England. By the way, this place is a tiny village, quite ironic. Anyway...

In the literary work, the "wise tales of Gotham" the village is supposed to be ironically insane which is the reason Irving used it to say that nyc was a crazy place full of foolish people. I am amused most nyers are probably not aware that the nickname is a mocking insult referring to them and their forebears as loons. Lol.

Anyway, I always thought it was something to do with the spires and gothic architecture. That doesn't make much sense though since nyc is largely Art Deco with few neo gothic buildings. If it were a reference to the built form which we now know is false, they Should have named it deco ville, or dec-am, haha.

Anyway, this tower has pseudo gothic elements, so it fits the myth of Gotham well and helps maintain the myth of New York being this massive, noir, crime ridden center of looming spires, evil and wicked greed depicted in the batman movies ( as Gotham, the fictional city) and in many movies focusing on the greed and vices of some New Yorkers based on real events.

Last edited by aquablue; Jun 15, 2015 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 5:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
hey tex could you return to adding "lads" at the end of your signature proclamation there? not sure why you dropped it, but that makes it more jaunty and a bit more earthy and relatable i think.

a tip o' me newsboy cap to ye.

Lol. No you don't get it, ny is the TRUE capital of the world, a new empire is dawning and will rule for long over all humanity until the end of time. Lol, this is the truth, no dumbing down required!! Resistance is futile ..

Last edited by aquablue; Jun 15, 2015 at 8:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 5:27 AM

the perspective of the mega ad sign shows the most magnificent aspect of the building radically foreshortened . . .
disguising the building's only flaw . . . the flimsy frail proportion of the whole structure.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 6:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
the perspective of the mega ad sign shows the most magnificent aspect of the building radically foreshortened . . .
disguising the building's only flaw . . . the flimsy frail proportion of the whole structure.
I like the skinny tower. It's not a flaw in my book. Why does everything have to conform with the classical philophies of ideal proportion? Humans are surely more flexibly minded and have evolved to accept variations which can be beautiful too. I enjoy seeing tall yet very thin towers, because although not classically balanced, they represent ingenuous thought and smart thinking on how to balance commerce with the publics needs for light and air on the street.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:19 AM

thanks for the response aquablue. Glad you're satisfied with 111.
Proportion is a most important feature in architecture.
I think 55 Water Street is too fat proportionally. I think this one too skinny.
Love the height of course . . .
After most of the supertalls are built south of the park - my perception might change.
It has about 432. Now it makes me smile - nervously.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:38 PM

An excerpt from a longer article

Growth of Nonunion Construction Tests New York City Labor Leader

LAURA KUSISTO
June 12, 2015

Quote:
In the case of the West 57th Street project, which is being developed by Michael Stern, Mr. LaBarbera is defiant. “I don’t think he is going to be able to pull it off,” he said in an interview at his offices on West 23rd Street.

He said that he had approached Mr. Stern and tried to strike a compromise known as a project labor agreement, which provides flexibility about workers’ schedules and in some cases wages and benefits.

Mr. Stern, founder and managing partner of JDS Development Group, said that he wasn’t antiunion but that right now the cost difference was too steep. He said the difference can be as much as 30% to 40%, including wages and work rules.

“Gary is the CEO of Blockbuster video,” said Mr. Stern. “He needs to find a way to adapt and become Netflix.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/growth-o...era-1434154002

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:26 AM

“Gary is the CEO of Blockbuster video,” said Mr. Stern. “He needs to find a way to adapt and become Netflix.”

Thats a great quote. lol

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 2:52 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post

Thats a great quote. lol
Indeed-- the millennials would understand (I would know)!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Just an addendum to the Gotham thing.

Gotham, the little village in Nottingham shire, England where the nickname originates, translates into "homestead where goats are kept". LOL. It has nothing to do with Gothic spires or the Goths, or anything like that in case anybody here was thinking along those lines. I'm quite surprised NY'ers accepted such a mundane nickname for the "empire city", despite Irving's use of it. I'm sure they were unaware of the true meaning because it's very un-new york like to be so self-effacing to such an extreme.

So bottom line, the nickname of Gotham is a funny ironic label that belies the outright self-confidence and brash city pride that NY has always been known for around the world. Basically, according to Irving, you're all mad, provincial, goat herding simpletons

Last edited by aquablue; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
Indeed-- the millennials would understand (I would know)!
I doubt he could care less about what they think. Gary will do his own thing, he's Gary, the King of NY real estate.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:11 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Just an addendum to the Gotham thing.

Gotham, the little village in Nottingham shire, England where the nickname originates, translates into "homestead where goats are kept". LOL. It has nothing to do with Gothic spires or the Goths, or anything like that in case anybody here was thinking along those lines. I'm quite surprised NY'ers accepted such a mundane nickname for the "empire city", despite Irving's use of it. I'm sure they were unaware of the true meaning because it's very un-new york like to be so self-effacing to such an extreme.

So bottom line, the nickname of Gotham is a funny ironic label that belies the outright self-confidence and brash city pride that NY has always been known for around the world. Basically, according to Irving, you're all mad, provincial, goat herding simpletons
@ City of Platinum/ Aqua Blue.

It's good you learned something new about NYC lore. I'll give it to you, you're a little more stable at SSP. Your hate and Jealousy towards New York is obvious and hasn't changed.

Gotham has taken a whole new meaning. Point is Gotham is New York!

Now that you hopefully get that out out of your system, The Steinway Tower is perfect for the city of Gotham!

Cheers mate!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
U

@ City of Platinum/ Aqua Blue.

It's good you learned something new about NYC lore. I'll give it to you, you're a little more stable at SSP. Your hate and Jealousy towards New York is obvious and hasn't changed.

Gotham has taken a whole new meaning. Point is Gotham is New York!

Now that you hopefully get that out out of your system, The Steinway Tower is perfect for the city of Gotham!

Cheers mate!
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. You've got the wrong man. Be careful with slanderous talk. Reported for impertinence and false acusation. No matter who the person is you are targeting, this behavior is just not acceptable I'm sure on this forum.

I am interested in history and I thought I'd let some newbies know a little about it. Nobody, even the fellow you THINK you are talking to, deserves to be talked to like that, especially not a member of 15 years who has been following NY projects and enjoying the cities growth and improvement. Try not to be so paranoid dude.

And whoever you are, you seem very defensive about NYC. Someone brings up a past figure from history who attempted to mock NYC and you are taking offense. Very odd. It's history, dude.

As for your post, Yes, Gotham is now NYC. However, the original meaning is hilarious and people should know the story. I enjoy passing on information that I find amusing. So, I'd appreciate if you just go away. If you continue this line of attack against the wrong person, I will be placing you on ignore for petulance and insolence.

Last edited by aquablue; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Don't look at NY projects then, schmuck.
Then dont act like a 16 year old with a keyboard and vodka IV drip, then.

And i'll check on the NYC thread whenever I so my NY family blood gets it in me to click on whatever tower I fancy at any particular moment.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my visit to the skyscraper capital of the South, Houston. Not the street, of course...but a quite decent city that gets a bad rap on SSP.

oh, ad extremely happy to see this sucker in the u/c section, the wait was killing me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive