HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:17 AM

I guess you have to live in New York and know the city to appreciate the skyline, I agree if you are a tourist that landed in JFK took a took a cab and ended in your hotel in midtown Manhattan you will only see buildings at street level and they will kinda look the same. As a Newyorker I never get tired of certain vantage points where these buildings look astonishing, like driving down the FDR or Westside highway from uptown, or certain places in Jersey and the outer boroughs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:44 AM

I lived in New York City for four years, but thanks for shitting all over my comment.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Potts View Post
I lived in New York City for four years, but thanks for shitting all over my comment.
Again, you got unlucky with the weather and your not looking at the facts. The charts show NY has plenty of sunlight, moderate rainfall, and moderate temperatures compared to most extreme climates or gloomy cities in Europe. Ny's weather isn't prefect, but it's hardly a "few nice weather days" place. You spouted a bunch of nonsense about NY's weather which can't be left unchallenged. NY's weather bad? That's nonsense, it's a temperate climate and check out some charts. For bad, go live in a place like Montreal where your nose will freeze off if you stick it out a door half the year or Phoenix where you can fry an egg on the street in summer. If you want to see bad, go there. How about the dark and grey days of Northern Europe in winter?

For someone who lived there for years, you should know that the city is dense as all hell and you can't see anything in the middle of the chaos of midtown. A former NY'er should know that to see the skyline you need to go high or go out to Brooklyn/Queens.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 13, 2019 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Again, you got unlucky with the weather and your not looking at the facts. The charts show NY has plenty of sunlight, moderate rainfall, and moderate temperatures compared to most extreme climates or gloomy cities in Europe. Ny's weather isn't prefect, but it's hardly a "few nice weather days" place. You spouted a bunch of nonsense about NY's weather which can't be left unchallenged. NY's weather bad? That's nonsense, it's a temperate climate and check out some charts. For bad, go live in a place like Montreal where your nose will freeze off if you stick it out a door half the year or Phoenix where you can fry an egg on the street in summer. If you want to see bad, go there. How about the dark and grey days of Northern Europe in winter?
I get what he's saying though living in NJ and being in NYC a lot. It really depends on what weather is preferred to "X" person. If one does not like heat and humidity, both NJ and NYC stink in the summer and up to September. If one does not like frigid cold, December through February can be damn cold.

IMO, I'm a cold guy, so perfect weather for me is generally Fall where its 50-70F with little humidity. Spring is nice too, until the humidity hits.

But I do get what he's saying though, but one that in general, is based on personal preference.

The nice thing is that NYC can offer a dynamic range of weather/temprature for everyone. Can offer humid, sauna like days, and holy shit this cold as a mothaf**** weather.

Those 70 F, low humidity days are somewhat rare though. I find myself thinking that in NJ as well. You know, those "just right" days that feel just perfect, where its sunny and NOT cloudy. Always hard to get that picturesque balance. But again, its very subjective. Definitely not a frying pan like Phoenix or doesn't have brutal summers like some Texan cities, thats for sure on a frequency level. But it can also have those days as well.

If one wants to fully enjoy NYC, Fall, around October or November, are the best times IMO. Or early spring before the humidity train comes by.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Potts View Post
I was just in NYC last week, and I'd totally forgotten how many bad weather days it has. So I tip my hat to those who can wander about on the rare good days and document skyscraper progress.
The other epiphany I had was that the skyscrapers look lovely in photos and from the distance in real life, but they are very hard to appreciate on the street level because one is constantly in a crowd in New York.
Well, none of that is true. I know this, because I'm constantly on the street, and I take enough photos to know you can appreciate the skyscrapers. Most people in New York don't stop and stare at skyscrapers because - surprise, surprise - most people are simply not into skyscrapers like that. But the more iconic skyscrapers - the Chryslers, the ESB's, yeah, people are constantly staring up at them - even on the crowded streets. As for your comment on the weather it's just laughable. The city doesn't exist in a bubble, where it has its own weather.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ev90kBs2z/

Quote:
In production: the South Oval dome for @111west57st . Next up: wrapping in velvet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3hilZLHfwD/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah i see how the weather looks outright terrible in that pic.

just like today.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:33 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yeah i see how the weather looks outright terrible in that pic.

just like today.
I know, right? He definitely never lived in NYC if he thinks the weather is "rarely nice". It's actually a bit too sunny for me, especially in summer, and I've lived, still spend a lot of time in Northern California. I'm so glad for the shorter days of Autumn.

As for "never seeing the skyline", also he must never have lived here. I see it on the N, Q over the Manhattan Bridge, from Madison Square Park, Union Square, Bryant Park, Battery Park, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park, my low floor windows in Park Slope! Christ, he must have stayed at some rathole in Times Square with a room facing a brick wall and never wandered very far. There are plenty of things to complain about in NYC, these are not them.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 14, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3nvl0kh_Pr/

Quote:
New buildings are ruining our beautiful Central Park views!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3fOcECgXgV/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:25 AM

Cannot WAIT to see this in person in 5 weeks! Hoping the cladding is nearly topped off by then!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodius View Post
Cannot WAIT to see this in person in 5 weeks! Hoping the cladding is nearly topped off by then!

View it from all angles. It still blows my mind when I see it. It's impossibly tall, or so it looks.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:16 AM

Interesting. At this stage in construction, I wish it would have topped off with the concrete. The steel is just a big wedge of a spire, and while it finishes the taper of the building to an edge, it feels more of a gimmick, and a flat roof would look better.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Interesting. At this stage in construction, I wish it would have topped off with the concrete. The steel is just a big wedge of a spire, and while it finishes the taper of the building to an edge, it feels more of a gimmick, and a flat roof would look better.
It's not a gimmick, it functions as a crown. The entire building is like a giant spire. They should have called it the Steinway Spire because the name actually fits. They could have stopped without it, but that's not in the spirit of the design or the town.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:04 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Feel like a gimmick? What about completing a building to its spec a gimmick?

You know the structural steel top-off is meant for a beautiful crown right? It's not like it's a blank wall merely erected for height. It's an art piece.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
The steel crown continues the staircase effect and makes the tower taller and more impressive. A 58×80 foot building with terraces set back 5 feet is amazing for a modern skyscraper, there's no building like this one

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 9:06 PM

We gotta wait until the building is done, I have seen renderings where the top does look hollow from front and back and is an abrupt transition from the cement top to the tip but we’ll see soon how it turns out.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:19 PM
West End & Riverside

A little too impressionist to be clear...

https://www.6sqft.com/video-shops-te...ke-we-used-to/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:23 PM
West End & Riverside

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive