HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It be interesting to see separate lists for the tallest office/residential; tallest office/hotel; tallest hotel/residential; tallest all three.
If I find some time maybe I will try to make that list

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa Korean Air? since when ? is that new ?
No, just substantially incorrect.

Korean has on occasion flown one or two charter flights a year, Lufthansa to my knowledge does not fly there at all, nor does Air China, Cathay, or Austrian. He did miss Edelweiss and Hainan, but word is Hainan is pulling out after this summer.

Also, Hahn airways doesn't fly their Cessnas from Dusseldorf to Calgary, I think he meant Condor's seasonal service from Frankfurt.

Westjet definitely dominates YYC though. While I don't know the actual seats percentage Westjet commands, they are their way to turning YYC into a fortress hub, which is good for YYC but will likely result in other operators pulling out of YYC as Westjet takes their business. My guess is British Airways is one of the first to leave since they are One World and going head to head with Westjet and their new dreamliners to London.

The wiki gives a pretty good snapshot of who flies there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...d_destinations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:33 PM
ARTchitecture

I got my data from Trip Advisor, don't know why they'd lie since they're a travel site. Obviously Calgary is the fourth largest airport in the country, having switched between third and fourth with Montreal, so it goes without saying that anyone could/should assume that more than just Westjet and AC fly out of there.

https://www.expedia.ca/lp/airports/y...y-intl-airport

And yes, Lufthansa does fly out of Calgary...

https://www.lufthansa.com/flights/fl...gary-frankfurt

Edit: rather they used to. No word on when/if it will be restored..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ghts-1.1181275

With Cathay on the way (already operating cargo planes to/from)...

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/cathay...ton-ambitions/

But looks like you were right about Austrian.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:50 PM

Cathay is not "on the way". They mentioned Calgary in a news release three years ago, that doesn't mean anything. Airlines mention destinations all the time that never come to fruition.

I didn't want to get into this because this is the 10 tallest thread but here is Calgary's long haul summer flights including seats, frequencies and equipment. As you can see it's quite thin.

I guarantee you my charts are more accurate than a travel agency. It's not that they lie, its that they don't differentiate code shares and JVs from actual flights. Lufthansa JVs on Air Canada's Frankfurt flight, hence why it shows up on their website.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:52 PM
ARTchitecture

I was simply saying that is where I got my information from, not that you were necessarily wrong, just that I clearly saw data different than your own. Relax, there's nothing to "get into" here. Calgary has a huge airport and flies to lots of destinations with lots of carriers, end of discussion.

That said, yayyy for beautiful architecture...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._sky_building/

https://curiocity.com/calgary/entert...ights-display/

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...n-at-telus-sky

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I was simply saying that is where I got my information from, not that you were necessarily wrong, just that I clearly saw data different than your own. Relax, there's nothing to "get into" here. Calgary has a huge airport and flies to lots of destinations with lots of carriers, end of discussion.
I can assure you I'm quite relaxed, just trying to point out the facts.

Calgary has a good roster of intl' carriers for a city it's size but is a very distant fourth on that metric. It's true strength is domestic connectivity.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:04 PM
ARTchitecture

Good stuff, is true.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:45 AM
I am the law!

And here we have the sad side of SSP

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:09 AM

Size adjusted (first photo).

Quote:

That said, yayyy for beautiful architecture...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._sky_building/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
And here we have the sad side of SSP
I LOL'd at this.

Also, because it is entirely relevant to this thread and website, I just wanted to say that I don't like Westjet.
They get called a low-cost airline, yet their fares are often like $1 cheaper than AC.
They're just too folksy and jokesy and it's all just terribly gauche, and every time one flies Westjet, one must sit next to 100 suburban boors who talk about how much better value Westjet is than AC and how that Jason Kenney has a point if you really think about it, and then one of their babies (who's always named Payden or Jaxxon or something like that) spits up on your shoulder.
And another thing! WHY are there so many babies on Westjet?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:22 PM

West Jet used to be good and cheap, but now it costs as much as Air Canada with crappier planes. I mean in the new planes they took out all of the screens from the back of the seat so you need to rent one of their germ infested tablets if you didn't bring your own.

Why are we talking about airlines here? LOL

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:32 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
West Jet used to be good and cheap, but now it costs as much as Air Canada with crappier planes. I mean in the new planes they took out all of the screens from the back of the seat so you need to rent one of their germ infested tablets if you didn't bring your own.

Why are we talking about airlines here? LOL
Not only the newer planes, the older ones are pretty much all retro-fitted at this point. I can't remember the last time I got a plane with the seatback monitors on WJ. I find the idea of having to download an app to get in flight content kind of silly. I'd rather they just provide in-flight wifi to everyone for free so you can just stream whatever you want.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 9:24 PM

The worst plane Ive ever been on was the Air Transat redeye.

Extremely old and crammed plane and couldnt sleep with the bright movie screens.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:58 PM
ARTchitecture

I don't mind Westjet. I just hate Air Canada's service, along with the fact that they didn't come to Fort McMurray's aid during the evacuation. Westjet launched all of their available planes to evacuate people for free. For that reason alone, they'll be getting my money whenever I can choose them. Companies that give an actual fuck are hard to come by these days.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I don't mind Westjet. I just hate Air Canada's service, along with the fact that they didn't come to Fort McMurray's aid during the evacuation. Westjet launched all of their available planes to evacuate people for free. For that reason alone, they'll be getting my money whenever I can choose them. Companies that give an actual fuck are hard to come by these days.

Bingo.....

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:39 PM
I am the law!

There wouldn't be any doubt which executives among these airlines still have hearts if West Jet responded to an zombie apocalypse in Toronto while Air Canada fled to Germany to crash on Lufthansa's chesterfield.

Fort McMurray is a West Jet hub. West Jet owes much of its early existence to the oil patch contracts. They have more infrastructure and increased access to the oil companies infrastructure after the airport was closed.

It's not enough for me to initiate my higher moral standings and avoid using an airline based on one incident and one that isn't as straight forward as it looks; Westjet flying people for "free" while Air Canada overcharged them. One isn't really true and the other is very likely to have been the automatic programmed response.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:15 PM
There is always a way

Allow me to be cynical for a moment in saying I think the 'free' evac may have had more to do with improving brand image than any true empathy. It was a chance to capitalize against AC and they took it. That doesn't mean they don't 'care' because both can be true at once. In fact, I think that even a lot of people at AC probably cared too, it's just that a corporation's job as an entity isn't sentience, it's to generate revenues.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:40 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
It's not enough for me to initiate my higher moral standings and avoid using an airline based on one incident and one that isn't as straight forward as it looks; Westjet flying people for "free" while Air Canada overcharged them. One isn't really true and the other is very likely to have been the automatic programmed response.

Shhh stop spreading facts like that!

Reminds me of how my stepdad refuses to fly Air Canada, and will actually pay more on Westjet simply because the former is unionized.

I'll go for whatever's cheaper, and if it's equally priced (as it often is, down to the dollar) usually pick AC as they have nicer planes and I find the service to be more or less on par. They both kinda suck though, although better than flying domestic in the US. I used to love Porter but service quality has dropped in recent years, though getting a free beer is still nice. Domestic flights in South Africa were head and shoulders above anything I've experienced in North America, with full service on even the discount airlines.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Shhh stop spreading facts like that!

Reminds me of how my stepdad refuses to fly Air Canada, and will actually pay more on Westjet simply because the former is unionized.
Gotta stick it to those uppity workers always demanding exorbitantly-priced frills like pensions and benefits!

What a gem. You would have a hard time convincing me someone who does something like that isn't a flat out jerk.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 5:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Lmfao, yeah. Damn those uppity Westjetters, demanding fair treatment and such.

Anywho, yes I obviously understand that it was a business move, but it was still thoughtful and, if Westjet could mobilize that quickly, Air Canada could have done the same in at least a reasonable amount of time instead of financially gouging customers, with the lowest number of planes possible without actually being criminally negligent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada