HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 5:45 PM

Jumeirah Lakes Towers - Model

Today I modeled the last two towers in the Jumeirah Lakes Towers project (Wind Tower 2 and Mercure Grand Hotel) so that means all (74 towers) are now done

Here's a picture of the final product (Will post more later on), hope you guys like it!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 6:07 PM

That's amazing!

How long did it take?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:00 PM

Well even though i think Dubai is one of the most hideous city's on Earth i must say that this awesome!! I hope to see more!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't think Dubai is hideous, it actually has some really good designs. The only thing that's wrong is that there aren't a lot of historical skyscrapers and the skyline doesn't match up, it doesn't have a flow in it. If all the Dubai skyscrapers were scattered all over the world then I bet you that the designs would get at least 3 times more attention (not the "hey I hate Dubai" kind of attention but more of a "Wow, nice building, really fits in with the skyline" kind of attention. Too many buildings are awkwardly shaped for 1 single city.

Anyway, looks great. I think you should color it to make the city look realistic and maybe render it too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 12:08 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I don't think Dubai is hideous, it actually has some really good designs. The only thing that's wrong is that there aren't a lot of historical skyscrapers and the skyline doesn't match up, it doesn't have a flow in it. If all the Dubai skyscrapers were scattered all over the world then I bet you that the designs would get at least 3 times more attention (not the "hey I hate Dubai" kind of attention but more of a "Wow, nice building, really fits in with the skyline" kind of attention. Too many buildings are awkwardly shaped for 1 single city.

Anyway, looks great. I think you should color it to make the city look realistic and maybe render it too.
Very well put.

Anthony

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 12:54 AM
World Machine

Well it goes without saying that your model is very impressive. You seemed to have got everything just right, and as Alek said, it would be nice to see these in color.

Fantastic job, and I hope to see more of your work.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:41 PM

Already coloured a few buildings but my computer doesn't handle rendering all the buildings at the same time Here are two examples of the coloured ones:

Goldcrest Views 2

New Dubai Gate 1

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 10:18 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Looks great, the only thing I don't like about the new towers is that there are way too many terraces on building. Makes them look rough and cheap. Like the New Dubai Gate. I like the roof though, makes it look modern and breaks up the boxy feeling of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:36 AM
Registered Lurker

The models are exceptional. Good job.

Some of the Dubai proposals would fit in perfectly in Miami's skyline.

The only thing about Dubai as a whole, is that it's not a legit skyline, if that makes sense. It's just a location that was picked for skyscrapers to be constructed. Artificial lakes. Manmade islands. Not many high density was previously there. I'm skeptical these towers will even be occupied fully.

Of course, that has nothing to do with your modeling, and I think you have done a fantastic job.

aleks, I think Dubai Gate 1 is one of Dubai's finest proposals, but everyone has their opinions. The design isn't out of this world like a lot of them, and it doesn't look arabian if you know what I mean. It looks modern, curvy, and sleek. Nothing wrong with the terraces. They add a purpose to the design, and it is a residential tower afterall.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 4:19 AM
Desert Dweller

Christ! I had no idea Sketchup could do such detail! Nice work!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
All aboard the Failboat

The last full one on the left looks like a direct copy of one in Miami, right down to the concave in the facade

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 11:42 AM

You can add as much detail as you want

For all people who don't know, this is an existing project which is being build so I can't help if there is a crappy design.

Panorama shot

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 9:11 PM

Excellent work. Are these on 3D warehouse?

I agree about the comments of Dubai's skyline though - it seems "phony" (as strange as that seems...the only comparison I can ever think of is Vegas)...or cheesy. there are a handful of nice designs.

But, that's not a critique on your models - they do look very good. I'd love to be able to download them all and see them fully rendered - my computer doesn't seem to have a problem with that (Denver is the best test)...as long as they are as lightweight as possible.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:58 PM

Thanks for everybody's comments

After the weekend, when I'm at home again, I'll try to render some more buildings. Maybe some in a cluster or something.

As for your question if the model is available on 3D Warehouse, no it's not. The reason for that is that there are people interested in the model and payed me for giving views from apartments they bought.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 2:28 PM

^Fair enough.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:27 PM

al shera tower

palladium

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 7:48 PM

they look amazing, great detail. It's gonna be a challenge for your PC to bunch them together and render them.
Aleks how do balconies make a building cheap?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 11:29 PM
low-riding

Wow!!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 12:44 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Balconies don't make buildings cheap, on the contrary, they add value to the property. These terraces make the buildings look cheap because there are so many of them throughout the city that having a terrace isn't exclusive anymore. Lot's of buildings also have that cheap, default, concrete color beige or snow white and it looks good sometimes but there's just a little too much in Dubai.

I like your models though, very, VERY detailed. That Palladium tower has a nice top but the middle has again too many terraces and it looks like it has legs because of that glass wall in the lowers middle section.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:54 AM
Registered Lurker

Your models are incredible!

What is that sail like thing on the Al Shera tower? Is it just part of the design? I wonder if it would catch the wind. what's it made of.. sheet metal.. canvas? It looks cool either way.

Aleks, I understand what your saying about the terraces. Too many towers in Dubai have balconies and it becomes repetitive. It's kind of like that in Miami, but not as bad. I suppose it's unavoidable though. The designers make them that way for a reason. Balconies must be in demand or they wouldn't be doing it for no reason. It's all about the money for the towers' owners. I still think they look pretty cool, but yes, repetitive!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup