HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:03 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post

lots of past rumours/discussion a few years back in the threads, starchitect "ABC", very tall...
Quote:

here is a recap of the CoV's higher building policy:

The highest buildings (i.e. ~550-700’) are located within the Central Business District. Of these buildings, the tallest buildings (i.e. ~700’) should be located on one of Vancouver’s three primary streets: West Georgia, Burrard and Granville
I usually have a very good memory for past discussions regarding any rumours of a new landmark tower downtown and I can recall only two in the past decade in proximity to one of the three primary streets above. One of them became the Butterfly, which after having 200 feet shaved off by the city, is already underway.

That leaves only the once widely-rumoured 750 foot Holborn tower on the Bay parkade site. That, of course, faded away after the city considered and eventually rejected the inclusion of that site among a handful of candidate sites for taller buildings under the new Higher Building policy being developed at that time. The city ultimately settled on considering only the few downtown sites which are encumbered by no viewcones except the Queen Elizabeth Park viewcone. The Bay parkade site, by contrast, is encumbered by at least one viewcone in addition to the Queen Elizabeth Park viewcone.

So, if the rumour that the additional viewcone over the Bay parkade site could be negated in the near future is true, then in the absence of further information I think the most plausible guess is the Bay parkade site, where Holborn has privately been working on a new version of its former plan in anticipation of a possible future change to the viewcones affecting it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:21 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

My guess is the Four Seasons site.
I mentioned that site earlier today, but can you recall any discussion a few years back of a "very tall, starchitect-designed" tower being proposed for that site?

If none took place and bb1510 is speaking accurately, then it doesn't seem like it can be that site:

Quote:

lots of past rumours/discussion a few years back in the threads, starchitect "ABC", very tall...

That said, the following was mentioned in the context of a discussion about the Four Seasons site, which might fit nicely with the clue that this mystery project was originally going to include an amenity similar to something that was recently demolished (e.g. the revolving restaurant at the top of the Landmark):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

I think I heard a cool concept for an atrium and skyway hotel downtown... might be the site we're talking about.
If GenWhy is speaking of a rooftop restaurant and is indeed referring to the Four Seasons site, then that militates very heavily in favour of that site.

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 19, 2019 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:41 AM

I'm surprised no one has raised 555 Cordova, or the Sinclair Centre federal office block yet. The later would check the box of being able to flout city regulations.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I mentioned that site earlier today, but can you recall any discussion a few years back of a "very tall, starchitect-designed" tower being proposed for that site?

If none took place and bb1510 is speaking accurately, then it doesn't seem like it can be that site:
Yeah, you're right, the Four Seasons site hasn't gotten to the point of even mentioning architects.
But was there an architect mentioned for Bay Parkade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I'm surprised no one has raised 555 Cordova, or the Sinclair Centre federal office block yet. The later would check the box of being able to flout city regulations.
Those don't qualify for the Higher Buildings Policy (700ft) on West Georgia, Burrard or Granville

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, the Four Seasons site hasn't gotten to the point of even mentioning architects.
But was there an architect mentioned for Bay Parkade?

Those don't qualify for the Higher Buildings Policy (700ft) on West Georgia, Burrard or Granville
Henriquez Partners Architects inquired about a rezoning in 2007 for Holborn.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2006121...BayParkade.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:03 AM

Cool, thanks!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:06 AM

Let’s just call it quits for the day and wait until the city posts anything public (if)

Not henriquez, but we’re also not getting a ZHA project either

On a side note, are rezoning enquiries to the city made public via minutes or links on the CoV website?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:31 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Enquires are not made public, applications are.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Let’s just call it quits for the day and wait until the city posts anything public (if)

Not henriquez, but we’re also not getting a ZHA project either

On a side note, are rezoning enquiries to the city made public via minutes or links on the CoV website?
Some developers hold a pre-submission open house, but that would generally be in a situation where there might be significant public interest in a project. If there's going to be a lot of opposition, it could save the developer the cost of submitting something that is likely to face significant negative comment.

There are many inquiries that don't go anywhere, and never get revealed in public. Technically, I believe, a developer can submit any rezoning proposal that they want to, but if staff were unwilling to support a project it's very unlikely that Council would even agree to proceeding to a Public Hearing, let alone then supporting it at a public hearing. As we know, from time to time Council vote against a proposal even when staff support it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Some developers hold a pre-submission open house, but that would generally be in a situation where there might be significant public interest in a project. If there's going to be a lot of opposition, it could save the developer the cost of submitting something that is likely to face significant negative comment.

There are many inquiries that don't go anywhere, and never get revealed in public. Technically, I believe, a developer can submit any rezoning proposal that they want to, but if staff were unwilling to support a project it's very unlikely that Council would even agree to proceeding to a Public Hearing, let alone then supporting it at a public hearing. As we know, from time to time Council vote against a proposal even when staff support it.

okay, lets just hope that it'll make it to rezoning; I'm sure it'll be very interesting for everyone to see

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post

As there's been several pre-application events for uncontroversial six floor buildings, I assumed they were just required events.

Also if I'm not mistaken, for some of the programs like MIRHPPs, an application has to be accepted by city staff in order to proceed to rezoning.

Quote:
okay, lets just hope that it'll make it to rezoning; I'm sure it'll be very interesting for everyone to see
It probably doesn't need to be said, but if you get notice of a pre-application open house, make sure to share it to forum, or at least DM to me

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Could be either Four Seasons or Bay Parkade.
My guess is the Four Seasons site.
Four Seasons could make sense.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 10:41 PM

Not to fuel the rumors. I know of a proposal downtown with a hotel/residence component that had a height pegged at over 1000 ft. Saw the drawings, rendering and model about two years ago. Not sure if this one has a pulse once again. Not the Westbank Butterfly proposal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van23H View Post
Not to fuel the rumors. I know of a proposal downtown with a hotel/residence component that had a height pegged at over 1000 ft. Saw the drawings, rendering and model about two years ago. Not sure if this one has a pulse once again. Not the Westbank Butterfly proposal.
Well we all know that will never fly in Vancouver.

What we could hope for though is a decent compromise with a height of 800ft or 700ft, and I would be more than happy (heck, even 600ft would be satisfactory)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:26 AM

Are you sure it was downtown Vancouver and not say Downtown Burnaby or Downtown Surrey? I think the region has a better chance of towers in the 1000 range outside of Vancouver proper.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:29 AM

It would be nice for downtown Vancouver to find the balance between tower heights and views that Seattle has found.

Outside of downtown I would prefer the tallest tower in our region to be in Metrotown or Surrey.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 2:08 AM

Thanks for riling up this thread, bb1510. While most rumours seem to become nothing, I still enjoy the speculation. Just seeing this thread at the top always gets me excited, hence some people feeling so let down when they can't any any deets.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:44 AM

have any of you guys been to the seattle public library or the vessel?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
have any of you guys been to the seattle public library or the vessel?
I was just at Hudson Yards a couple of months ago......

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 7:02 PM

Looks like the rezoning enquiry was submitted to the city on Dec 20

I’m assuming public minutes will be made in three months or so

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver