HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:07 PM
if I sang out of tune

Trueviking,
what does Boniface mean? Its weird but i was thinking about that word -cool name for my new dog - walking up the hill to this library....

Why havent they rebuilt the cathedral, and how old is it?
That ruin on the last pic does look brilliant tho'.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:17 PM

Montréal

Hotel Winsdor (both churches are gone too)

Bonaventure Train Station

Main Post Office

Drummond House

McIntyre House

Strathcona’s House

+ 1 million mansions, mostly where stands our dowbtown area today

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

the broad street station and the montreal buildings...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:28 PM

Portland: For the city's greatest architectural loss, I'd go with the loss of the numerous Front Street buildings along the waterfront most of which were 3 to 6 story very ornate cast-iron buildings which were torn down for a road widening/river wall project in the early 1940s as part of Robert Moses' roadway improvement plan for Portland (more nearby were torn down for parking lots). Portland had one of the largest collections of cast-iron architecture in the US (I believe the largest outside SoHo). The architecture of this neighborhood was chronicled by the famous photographer Minor White in the late 1930s for the WPA.

Minor White, Front Street, 1939
Everything in this photograph was torn down

More:
Photo: Cast-Iron 1

Photo: Cast-Iron 2
________

But for a single building probably the biggest loss was the Portland Hotel (1890-1951) by McKim, Mead & White which was torn down for a parking lot (which then late became Pioneer Courthouse Square).

Portland Hotel:

OHS

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
Take your pic:Two railroad depots demolished for a freeway project, one of which was never built. The latter stood where O'Donnel Park (a cleverly disguised parking garage) now stands, at the foot of the lake and Calatrava.

Most of 19th century downtown has been entirely obliterated, unfortunately, and collectively I'd call Westown a near total loss.
I don't know which one was better the Milwaukee or Chicago C&NW station. Both were good looking in their own right.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another NYC great loss: The Singer Building (once the highest in the world)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp
i wouldnt even know where to start - thousands of buildings from the mid 1700s to the early 1900s were destroyed from the 1950's - 1980's.
Downtown Mobile, 1909

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 12:06 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar
Portland: For the city's greatest architectural loss, I'd go with the loss of the numerous Front Street buildings along the waterfront most of which were 3 to 6 story very ornate cast-iron buildings which were torn down for a road widening/river wall project in the early 1940s as part of Robert Moses' roadway improvement plan for Portland (more nearby were torn down for parking lots).
Motherfuck! Moses didn't do enough destroying NY, he laid his greasy fingers on Portland, too?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:06 AM
Bah!

This thread hurts.

The original Scott County Courthouse in Davenport was built on poorly compacted soil so it started to crack soon after being completed. It finally had to be torn down in the mid-1950's and replaced by a souless aluminumn-clad piece of crap.

Original 1880's Courthouse

But by far the most painfull loss for me was the Villa De Chantal school just two blocks from my home here in Rock Island. This beauty was gutted by fire in July, 2005 while I was in Boston. When I was notified of this fire it put a slight damper on my trip.
Even though just a shells remained, they are going to spend a million or two to rebuild this structure but unless they hire the best European artisans and craftsmen, it just will not be the same.

Villa De Chantal, summer 2004. A year before the fire.

I used to walk my dog around the grounds of this building all of the time, now I can just barely see the remaining shell through the trees since the grounds have been roped off while it's rebuilt.

Last edited by rockyi; Nov 30, 2006 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:23 AM

Pensacola: The Hotel San Carlos. Replaced in the 90's by the new federal courthouse.

the front building on the right

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
Motherfuck! Moses didn't do enough destroying NY, he laid his greasy fingers on Portland, too?
He wanted to demolish and replace Portland's Union Station (Photo) which he said was "old and obsolete," an example of "unnecessary ugliness" that marred Portland’s otherwise "magnificent surroundings and rather orderly development." Luckily this didn't happen.

More info:
http://www.marthabianco.com/moses.pdf

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:23 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Fort Edmonton for Alberta Legislature - might be considered such. Not really.

I can't really think of anything that was torn down that was really remarkable to build anything new and was a shame at the same time..

However, there was talks of turning the Bay Building 1931 into a parking garage - yuk! Thankfully the University of Alberta stepped in and is now expanding the building and using it as the downtown campus. CityTV and Bounce FM also use a part of the building to broadcast.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
For London the Crystal Palace of 1851, the first great iron wrought architecture, incorporating all those arches. Over 1000ft long it was surrounded by 87 fountains (some of the biggest in the world) and masses of statues, pavilions and gardens, and two 500 ft high towers at either end - in short it was the largest building in the world at the time.

It was moved to South london in a n even bigger version of the original but struck by lightning just before the war and burned to the ground,.
In the mid-80's Dallas built a knock-off called the Infomart. So, the Crystal Palace lives on... sort of.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:55 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Magnificent idea for a thread!

clubbster took all the good ones. I will always nominate the demolition of America's first business district to make way for Independence Mall the greatest travesty.

Of course, between the Vine Expressway, I-95 and The Gallery we could make a few more cases.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar
clubbster took all the good ones.
Actually, a few more faves that I missed.

Post Office
At 10th and Market to Chestnut, replaced by the deco Robert C. Nix Federal building. Which is probably better.

Arcade Building
Another Furness building, which was on S Penn Sq., and attached to Broad St station, now open space and streets next to City Hall. Looks huge in this picture, but it was actually pretty narrow.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station
Yet another Furness station, at 24th and Chestnut.

Old US Mint Building
Built in 1883, and superseded in 1901. There were plans to turn it into a library, but replaced by the Widener building.

Central High School
At Broad and Green, built 1900 with own observatory, now Ben Franklin High School, but building replaced by 60's institutional meh-ness.

Horticultural Hall
Perhaps my favorite - an Italianate palazzo on Broad between Spruce and Locust, by Frank Miles Day. Lasted under 25 years, and demolished in 1917 for the also glorious Academy of Music Theater.

Bank buildings on Chestnut
There were a huge number of elaborate bank buildings on Chestnut St between 2nd and 5th, many of which were demolished in the 50's and 60's. Including one of Frank Furness' strangest works on the right. Most of the ones pictured were replaced by the icky faux-something Omni Hotel.

Last edited by clubbster; Nov 30, 2006 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 3:51 PM
Red October standing by

2/3 of Columbia were burned to the ground by General Sherman in 1865

for a single loss, i'm going with the 3rd City Hall/Opera House, the building with the domed towers on the left, built in 1900

demolished in 1926 for the Wade Hampton Hotel

and is now a small plaza/surface lot, although a local developer has a vision for a 25-story tower and new opera house/meeting hall to go on the site...the empty area across the street

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 9:18 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
Trueviking,
what does Boniface mean? Its weird but i was thinking about that word -cool name for my new dog - walking up the hill to this library....

Why havent they rebuilt the cathedral, and how old is it?
That ruin on the last pic does look brilliant tho'.
apparently boniface means, one who does good deeds...more importantly it was the name of an english missionary who is the patron saint of germany.

http://www.stboniface.org.uk/whowas.htm

it is also the name of the french quarter of winnipeg...not sure what the connection is.

the cathedral is the oldest one in western canada, but is not a lot more than a hundred years old...the original one was built on that site in 1811, but it also burned down.

they did build a smaller modern church in the back part of the shell....because of financial constraints they didnt reconstruct it....it is quite beautiful as it is, the old walls create a courtyard for the modern church nestled inside the ruin.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 9:27 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
they did build a smaller modern church in the back part of the shell....because of financial constraints they didnt reconstruct it....it is quite beautiful as it is, the old walls create a courtyard for the modern church nestled inside the ruin.
That is very cool. Everyone I've told about that thinks it's fascinating.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbster
The Wanamaker Mansion
Built by creator of the world's first department store, John Wanamaker. At 21st and Walnut, now a surface lot. Suffered severe fire damage in 1978, and demolished in 1980.

I thought the house now incorporated into the base of the Wanamaker House condo tower was the original Wanamaker mansion.....no?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 5:40 PM

A city like London which is 2 millennia old is naturally going to have many such 'situations'. The largest single devastation was probably not the Great Fire of London, but the Blitz, whereby one third of the entire city was levelled.....

Four losses off of the top of my head of a scale completely un-imaginable:

Euston Station

Once one of the biggest and oldest stations in London (built in 1837 - its older than most railways in the world), the station was not only an engineering triumph as one of the first central city termini, but for its architecture and its significance in termini construction. The later is especially true when it came to New York Penn (and Grand Central) which used the idea of what Euston had done with the Roman influences, but modelled itself upon the Baths of Caracalla. Both of these termini were built far later than Euston was, yet Euston and Penn both suffered the same fate: 1960's planners. Euston still exists in a horrible form - akin to an airport terminal from the 60's which relies heavily upon ramps and concrete. At least unlike Penn it actually penetrated by sunlight, but it still doesn't make up for the loss. Thankfully plans are underway to completely re-build the station, if only in glass and steel it should make the station look nicer.

Old Euston Station

Euston Station Today

Future Euston Station

Crystal Palace

Ever wondered where the 'World's Fair' started? Look no further than the Great Exhibition housed in the Crystal Palace. Possibly one of the greatest buildings ever built, it was built in 1851 and was 560m in length. Its original location was in Hyde Park, but it was then moved in 1854 to its site in Crystal Palace and significantly enlarged. A fire in 1936 destroyed the structure.

Before and After 1936 fire

Today

Whitehall Palace

Once the largest building in the world, it had 1,500 rooms and was originally the London residence of the monarchy. Built over several centuries it covered a whopping land area of 23 acres, practically all of what is now known as the Whitehall Central Government area (ie all the departments, NHS, Transport, etc...).

The original buildings dated back to 1049, but two fires in 1691 and 1668 destroyed pretty much the entire palace. Only one building (the 1622 Banquet Hall from which Charles I was executed) remains to this day from those fires, the rest was destroyed in a fire. The map below pretty much illustrates the immense size of the palace:

Alexandra Palace

Not really a palace in the sense of being a royal residence, but a 'palace of the people'. It was built in 1873 in North London and despite being destroyed in a horrific series of fires (1873 and 1980). Today it is a shell with a few parts remaining in action, yet it is mostly recognised for its history in tv. The worlds first regular public television service (by the BBC) was broadcast from here - the original transmitter tower sill remains.

The Fire

Today

One that really does stand out (but wasn't built in London) is the magnificant Fonthill Abbey, whcih was located several dozen miles west of London

Fonthill Abbey

It looks like a castle/abbey/cathedral but was infact someones house! Infact its probably the tallest personal residence ever built......

The man with the dream was Beckford - a rich man nontheless! Construction was interesting....it was completed, only to collapse immediately afterwards. Beckford then re-built the tower, but again it collapsed. For the third re-build it was finished completely in 1813. Yet again in 1825 the tower collapsed again....for the final time as all that remains are the foundations....

The front doors were 35 feet (10m) tall, Beckford lived alone and the tower rose to 90metres/300feet....

I kid you not, this was someones actual house - it even had a spire which unfortunately fell down as well!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture