HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 11:47 PM

That first pic is money... an angle we've rarely ever (never) seen. It looks like a city with no hideous gigantic parking lots.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 12:43 AM

[QUOTE=HX_Guy]Two people have said that this third tower crane would go up on the SE corner of the lot...but the tower portion of project will be going up at the SW corner. How could the crane be so far away from the tower itself...doesn't it have to be anchored to the building as it's going up? [QUOTE]

Here. http://www.downtownphxrising.org/about_information.asp Look at this video from the cityscape website. It shows the tower crane for tower two exacty where it is now (sw corner). I believe it is at 2:29 in the video.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 1:13 AM
BANNED

What's the story with the parking lot in picture #2? Ownership info? Long-term plans? That's solid property.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ KID View Post

Here. http://www.downtownphxrising.org/about_information.asp Look at this video from the cityscape website. It shows the tower crane for tower two exacty where it is now (sw corner). I believe it is at 2:29 in the video.
Unless it's a really short tower, the crane that went up today will definitely not be for the second tower.

They did not install the mechanism onto the crane that would lift up the crane (as the tower rises) which means the tower crane is at it's final height, it will not be raised. The height of the tower crane is 190' above grade.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 4:37 AM

As I returned from the movie, WALLE, which was a blast just like last week's DARK KNIGHT, they were still working on the new crane at Cityscape. Sure looks cool with two big cranes. Hopefully soon 3 big cranes.

Yes, crane #2 is only for the garage, and also for a few other things like lifting equipment out of the hole as well. I bet it will also be used for sonstructing the pedestrian bridge over Central Avenue.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 11:17 AM

It seems odd to me that they would erect a tower crane at that height just for a five story underground garage when the mobile boom crane they brought in would have worked just as well.

The raft slab looks like the beginning stages of the core for tower two, its footprint matches.

Last edited by PhxPavilion; May 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 12:46 PM

Pavillio...read previous posts by myself and HX about the slab

The crane has to be taller thanthe Luers building so it can rotate 360 degrees. It has to be able to weather vane ( rotate freely during high wind)

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
It seems odd to me that they would erect a tower crane at that height just for a five story underground garage when the mobile boom crane they brought in would have worked just as well.

The raft slab looks like the beginning stages of the core for tower two, its footprint matches.
They had Jefferson St closed off yesterday in order to use the mobile crane so they couldn't do that as a permanent solution.

One thing I don't get either is why is the crane so tall for an underground parking garage? I would think it costs extra per each section of crane, no?
And as I said, it still doesn't make sense that an additional crane would go in at the SE corner when the tower will be at the SW corner.

But about the slab, yes, it is the core of tower two. They are building it as if the tower is a go but could cap it off at street level and continue sometime in the future.
I have a feeling the pad at Colliers Center where the hotel was to go is the same...there is probably an elevator core right where the larger white "box" is in the middle of the pad and the stairwell is the smaller white box.
Additionally, there is probably also a tower crane encased in there somewhere too as that would have to go into the soil when they started building the underground garage.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 6:53 PM

The crane has to be taller than the buildings around it, so it can swing freely 360 degrees. In heavy winds it must be able to weather vane - rotate in the wind, so the crane doesn't bend or snap.

Nice find, HX, on the Collier Center picture. You are correct about all there being capped.

The question i would have is how odd it would look to have the two blocks of businesses, the courtyards with fountains and trees, and inner city park and only 1 tower - flanked by caps on pillars and an elevator shaft. I just couldn't see them leaving it like that. Would be a huge eyesore....but who knows till we get more info?.?.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:30 AM

From Flickr...

May 5th - 20 floors done, 7 floors of glass.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:05 PM

New pics thanks to gymratmanaz...

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:19 PM

Is a new type of glass going in or some sort of paneling? Take a look at the webcam and about floor #8 on the east side of the office tower...

Last edited by HX_Guy; May 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:26 PM

I'm on it later this afternoon!

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:12 PM

gymratmanaz... are you a gymrat at the downtown Y? I probably see you there but don't know it.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:29 PM
BANNED

hx, I'll get you a picture when I get home. I can see it from about floor 7 and up, but I'm at work right now.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 10:02 PM

You know, I think it's just a reflection...

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Skyriser

I'm still baffled by how much of the east side of this thing looks like Chase Tower.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 10:19 PM
BANNED

wait, upon further inspection of the picture, I'm not goign to take one.

It is blatantly obvious that there are reflections of the ground and buildings up until floor 7, at which point you see reflections of the sky. Floor 8 glass looks different because you're seeing a mirror of the sky.

so yes, HX, you're right. It is a reflection.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 1:50 AM

I went down. It is indeed a reflection. All glass is the same.

They finished the frame of the 20th floor.

In the garage there is a ton more rebar, molds, and pillars being added and poured. Once they start to actually pour flooring. I think this will go up quickly.

They also have started to add the rebar wall to the south wall.

All the ramp is gone.

Fun to see both cranes moving at the same time!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:19 PM

A couple new renderings...

First...what's with the tower way way back in the picture? Are they smoking something or what? Isn't that where the historic city hall is?

Second, I hate that the middle is elevated. I don't know why, but I never climb up stairs in these situations unless I specifically have a reason to...whereas if it was at street level, I would stroll through.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest