HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 1:05 AM

Scott Office bldg on hold, 2nd hotel to come 1st.

From Erie Times-News
https://www.goerie.com/news/20200812...squos-bayfront

Nick Scott Sr.: “I think Harbor Place is going to be a game changer.”

It won’t surprise anyone that the COVID-19 pandemic rewrote the timetable for Scott Enterprises’ plan to open a new Hampton Inn & Suites on Erie’s bayfront.
The combination of a pandemic and winter weather moved a planned opening date of May into September.
But that’s not the only thing the coronavirus shutdown did to reshape the company’s plans for its $150 million bayfront development — a multi-phase project to include hotels, office space, a parking garage, restaurants, retail and housing.
In January, Nick Scott Jr., vice president of the Scott Enterprises, said the company was thinking that plans for a new office building would likely be the next priority.
he tentative plan was to build a 70,000- to 90,000-square-foot office building that would cost $20 million to $25 million.
That plan, he said, was largely a response to a growing recognition that Erie office space was in short supply.
Now, just a few months later, the company’s president, Nick Scott Sr., said this week that he believes demand for office space has weakened over the past few months.
Related content
Construction nears completion on Hampton Inn at Harbor Place
“I think we have put it (an office building) on the back burner because the situation seems to have developed that a lot more people are working from home now and a lot more will do so in the future,” he said.
“This is not a good entry time,” he said. “It’s still a part of the overall plan, but it isn’t going to be the priority.”
The company is moving ahead with other plans.
Just a few weeks from its expected completion of the $20 million, eight-story Hampton Inn, Scott Enterprises is eyeing plans for a second bayfront hotel.
Scott said he hasn’t identified the hotel brand, but said he is looking this time at an extended-stay hotel that would cater to downtown employers such as Erie Insurance, Gannon University and UPMC Hamot.
To help fund the project, Scott said his company, which owns numerous hotels, restaurants and Splash Lagoon Indoor Water Park, plans to apply this week for funding from the Pennsylvania Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program, known as RACP.
A previous RACP grant, released by the state in 2016, gave Scott Enterprises $5 million toward construction of the Hampton Inn & Suites.
Scott said Monday that he was unsure how much state assistance he would seek for this project.
RACP grants, which require a local match, are intended for the purchase and construction of “regional economic, cultural, civic, recreational, and historical improvement projects,” according to a Pennsylvania government website.
In the current climate, with people staying at home and without a vaccine to contain the coronavirus, the challenges are greater than ever for any new development, Scott said.
“We think there might be more of a chance of this being successful,” he said of the proposed hotel.
“There is not an extended-stay brand on the bayfront market,” Scott said. “They would be little apartments that could serve doctors and their families staying for extended periods of time, consultants coming into town to work, that kind of thing.”
For now, crews employed by Scott Enterprises are working to put the finishing touches on the first new hotel.
While individual guest rooms were being cleaned Tuesday, workers were painting, wiring and building the bar at Oliver’s, an eighth-floor restaurant that overlooks Presque Isle Bay.
Scott said the hotel should open in about a month, followed by the restaurant a month later.
“After two and a quarter years of weather delays, winter winds and the pandemic, we are finally coming to the end of the journey,” Scott said.
Scott, whose own photographs will be used to decorate a hotel that he described as contemporary and beach-themed, thinks the hotel will be worth the wait.
“It’s going to be special,” he said. “I really feel this is going to be a unique boutique-type hotel which reflects all the wonderful things happening on the waterfront.”
While his company pursues funding for a second hotel, Scott said he might work to simultaneously develop the housing component of Harbor Place. Tentative plans call for the construction of condominiums and possibly rental units.
Scott said he isn’t certain when work might begin on the second hotel or the housing units.
Nearly seven years after Scott Enterprises announced plans for the 12-acre parcel, work on the project appears to be closer to the beginning than the end. But Scott said he remains confident in his family’s vision for Erie’s bayfront.
“I think Harbor Place is going to be a game changer,” he said. “I just don’t know when we are going to get to the finish line.”

Contact Jim Martin at jmartin@timesnews.com. Follow him on Twitter @ETNMartin.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Not impressed by this generic garden-type apts. Their seems to be a NIMBY effect by near downtown local residents. They are afraid there might be 8 more vehicles a day on their street. They want more single family homes. Right!... Who wants to build $150/200K homes in an area that has old stock homes, most @70yrs old. Ain't gonna happen.

I'd like to see some developer come in, buy up all those $40/50K old homes
and build some tax producing properties.

That is absolutely necessary if Erie wants to grow. Something similar happened a few years ago regarding a proposed development by lower sass. The NIMBY effect is definitely in full force, or something closer to misguided, or a combination. Sad and frustrating. The good news is that the vote was split and I think given the current climate, smarter heads will ultimately prevail.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Also started today demolition of the 1960's era (original Holiday Inn) hotel at 18th & State sts. Located just south of The Amtrak Station it had been condemned as unsafe several months back.
It was recently purchased by an out of town group planning a new hotel but no announcement has been forthcoming.
UPDATE

Drove by today

The part of the complex that had the bar & restaurant is completely gone.
Lots of active work on room upgrades going on.
Still no sign or clue as to what will be the final product.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Presque Isle Open for swimming and all other activities
Sarah's doing a bang up bizz as usual
Waldameer & Water Park open but to limited att.
As you know summertime one of the best places to live.
Winters, well... a little tough
Yes!! Completely agree. Although I will say Erie has good snow removal. Especially with how much you guys get! I’ll never forget how fun it was trying to get through a winding golf course subdivision with six inches or more of snow on the ground, with ice, and hills to climb! We had a little front wheel drive Honda and almost couldn’t get up our steep drive once and actually started rolling backwards and almost hit the garbage truck that was in the neighborhood... Lol.

Also, it was nice being close to Cleveland and New York. We’d go to Chautauqua Lake too. Hard to beat Presque Isle in the summer though. I live in Texas and I’d gladly trade summers with you guys, just not winter! 😆

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
Though I never post to or follow this thread, I lived in Erie for maybe 6 months back in ‘08 when my parents moved for the first time (job related). I’m almost 30 now but I still have fond memories of my brief time here. Saw Erie pop up when looking for my other cities I follow so I thought I’d drop a comment. Lived in Whispering Woods while there. Nice golf course if that’s your thing.
Presque Isle, Sarah’s Diner, and Waldameer’s are so unique. You have a lot to be proud of
Quote:
Sarah's doing a bang up bizz as usual

Thanks for the comment drop!

Presque Isle/Lake Erie is truly Erie's saving grace (and obviously the reason the city exists in the first place), since there honestly wouldn't be too much positive about the place at the present time. Things are getting better it seems, but there is a LONG way to go in trying to make up for decades of complacent decline and just absolutley stupid decisions made by civic "leadership".

Also, I think Sara's food sucks big time. It hasn't been good for years now... if you get a footlong, it comes out overcooked and lukewarm. The fact that they are the only restaturant at the entrance of Presque Isle is the only reason the place continues to thrive.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:23 AM

$100million Plastic Recycling plant to be built in Erie.
From the Erie Times-News
Several sites are under consideration including along Erie’s waterfront.

International Recycling Group, a New York City-based startup, plans to announce this week a $100 million investment to build what it describes as the world’s largest plastics recycling facility in Erie.
The project, supported by a combined $9 million investment from Erie Insurance and the Erie-based Plastek Group, would represent one of the largest-ever outside investments in Erie, said James Grunke, CEO of the Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership

FULL STORY
https://www.goerie.com/business/2020...anned-for-erie

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:35 AM

After months of rehab Kellar's Magic & Comedy Club opens downtown.

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...ign=socialflow

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Thanks for the comment drop!

Presque Isle/Lake Erie is truly Erie's saving grace (and obviously the reason the city exists in the first place), since there honestly wouldn't be too much positive about the place at the present time. Things are getting better it seems, but there is a LONG way to go in trying to make up for decades of complacent decline and just absolutley stupid decisions made by civic "leadership".

Also, I think Sara's food sucks big time. It hasn't been good for years now... if you get a footlong, it comes out overcooked and lukewarm. The fact that they are the only restaturant at the entrance of Presque Isle is the only reason the place continues to thrive.
Sarah’s has good shakes though, if memory serves me right. I love how waldameers has that coaster going over the road to presque isle. They were building that right before we moved.

Erie is charming. And PA is a great state. I like the Lancaster/Hershey area. Not too far from D.C. and other major attractions. Never saw Pittsburgh or Philly though, too bad. Will definitely try to one day.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Like I said the current DEM mayor was doing a good job until some recent odd decisions. Erie had its largest population during the last Rep admin. I know as my parents were committee members in the DEM party here in Erie city. I've been around long enough to follow as a registered DEM in the city.
Do not want to get into a slinging contest but stated my opinion. Did not push for Trump or Biden, but did defend Sara's as I've always had a pleasant time with good food.
Political party opinions have their place on this forum (check the Skybar), but that place is not in City Compilations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
Sarah’s has good shakes though, if memory serves me right. I love how waldameers has that coaster going over the road to presque isle. They were building that right before we moved.

Erie is charming. And PA is a great state. I like the Lancaster/Hershey area. Not too far from D.C. and other major attractions. Never saw Pittsburgh or Philly though, too bad. Will definitely try to one day.
The Ravine Flyer 2 is a fantastic roller coaster. And Waldameer is a very nice asset for the region to have. It would be really nice if its ownership displayed an actual interest in sound land use and design aesthetics though. Its massive, ugly, and stormwater runoff nightmare of a parking lot on prime property is a glaring example of ownership simply not giving a shit. As much blame for it should be placed on Millcreek Township for approving such a blight on the landscape at the "entrance" to the Lake and state park.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 12:07 AM

agreed

Quote:
Political party opinions have their place on this forum (check the Skybar), but that place is not in City Compilations.

The Ravine Flyer 2 is a fantastic roller coaster. And Waldameer is a very nice asset for the region to have. It would be really nice if its ownership displayed an actual interest in sound land use and design aesthetics though. Its massive, ugly, and stormwater runoff nightmare of a parking lot on prime property is a glaring example of ownership simply not giving a shit. As much blame for it should be placed on Millcreek Township for approving such a blight on the landscape at the "entrance" to the Lake and state park.

Spot on. With the funding seemingly in place, the new sidewalk/pedestrian street will be huge. However, how did Millcreek and its leaders allow, on one side a trailer park, and opposite a massive, gross slab of dirt and pebbles, to fester for decades! Especially considering all of the traffic that route gets and how beautiful and vital an asset presque isle is to the entire County. Baffling. As an aside, that (rest in peace) graveyard on the west side of peninsula drive is very unattractive and I think a developmental nuisance. The gateway of presque isle should be attractive and welcoming. Why allow that?

On the flip side, it seems today that Millcreek is at least trying hard to turn a corner.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

All political discussion unrelated to projects deleted. Use Current Events for that discussion.

Compilation is about Erie Development projects.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:51 PM

Various renderings of proposed Bayfront Parkway reconstruction. The gist of the current debate is that PennDOT is looking to build a highway and local groups don't want a highway.

Improvements to the Parkway are very long overdue. The key here is building an adequate roadway to account for the increased use of the bayfront with more hotels/offices/residences/retail, without building a greater "wall" between the waterfront and downtown.

Construction of multiple ped/bike bridges connecting the bluff to the waterfront at Liberty, Sassafras, State, Holland, and Wallace streets would be a very effective solution. And not cheap, ugly bridges.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:31 PM

Erie Events seeks $3.5 million for waterfront market

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200827...erfront-market

Erie Events officials have long talked about creating a multimillion-dollar market house on the city’s west bayfront.

The market house would operate year-round; include a full-service grocery store; and feature local vendors that sell chocolates, wine, meats, produce, crafts and other goods.

The project has already received a $1.5 million state grant, awarded in 2019.

But now, Erie Events has asked Gov. Tom Wolf’s office for an additional $3.5 million to help create an even larger facility.

The organization in mid-August submitted its latest request for market house funding via the state Revitalization Assistance Capital Program.

Erie Events’ $3.5 million request was submitted, in part, because the organization now plans to build a larger market house — roughly 22,000 square feet — which takes the overall project cost to between $7.5 million and $10 million, according to Casey Wells, Erie Events executive director.

Originally, an 18,000- to 20,000-square-foot facility was planned, and the project budget was $6 million.

The market house would also feature 125 surface parking spaces for vehicles. It could be completed as soon as the summer of 2022, according to Erie Events’ grant application to the state.

The proposed market is located at the bottom left of this site plan

Upper right in this rendering

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Erie Events seeks $3.5 million for waterfront market

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200827...erfront-market

Erie Events officials have long talked about creating a multimillion-dollar market house on the city’s west bayfront.

The market house would operate year-round; include a full-service grocery store; and feature local vendors that sell chocolates, wine, meats, produce, crafts and other goods.

The project has already received a $1.5 million state grant, awarded in 2019.

But now, Erie Events has asked Gov. Tom Wolf’s office for an additional $3.5 million to help create an even larger facility.

The organization in mid-August submitted its latest request for market house funding via the state Revitalization Assistance Capital Program.

Erie Events’ $3.5 million request was submitted, in part, because the organization now plans to build a larger market house — roughly 22,000 square feet — which takes the overall project cost to between $7.5 million and $10 million, according to Casey Wells, Erie Events executive director.

Originally, an 18,000- to 20,000-square-foot facility was planned, and the project budget was $6 million.

The market house would also feature 125 surface parking spaces for vehicles. It could be completed as soon as the summer of 2022, according to Erie Events’ grant application to the state.

The proposed market is located at the bottom left of this site plan

Upper right in this rendering

I realize we are in the baby stages, but looking at these pictures is exciting. Love the design plan. My only (minor) gripe is the open spot in the center, right off of the bayfront parkway. Perhaps they want to showcase the full breadth buildings to passerbys?

As far as the boulevard vs. parkway battle. I definitely understand the pro-boulevard peoples' concerns and I think they do a good job of spotting issues and arguing the strengths of a boulevard. However, they omit one glaring issue. How will they address the massive de-elevation at the state street intersection with their plan? Is that issue not what started the entire process from the start? Also, they make hay about the bridges needing private investment to be built (I agree that is a massive issue) BUT who the heck is going to pay for their proposal? Their proposal looks 10 times more expensive than PennDots. Either way, Erie should take anything it can get, within reason. PennDot's plan is reasonable and does at a minimum provide a foundation for a vastly superior bayfront.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 11:37 PM

Scott's Hampton Bayfront opens

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200831...squos-bayfront
Contains Photos

New hotel opens on Erie’s bayfront

By Jim Martin

Posted at 3:57 PM
Oliver’s, a rooftop restaurant and bar, is scheduled to open in October.

Two years and three months after Scott Enterprises broke ground for a new hotel on Erie’s bayfront, the new 94-room Hampton Inn & Suites opened for business Monday.
The hotel, built at a cost of about $22 million, is the first phase in what the family-owned company envisions as a $160 million bayfront development called Harbor Place.
The hotel features 32 studio-style suites that provide extra space for up to four guests.
Oliver’s, a rooftop restaurant and bar, is scheduled to open in October.
Construction nears completion on Hampton Inn at Harbor Place
The development, which is being built in phases, is expected to include a second hotel, restaurants, office space, retail shops, a parking garage, skating rink, water fountains, condominiums and apartments, according to Scott Enterprises.
Scott Enterprises owns Splash Lagoon Indoor Water Park, Peek’n Peak Resort in Findley Lake, New York, and numerous hotels and restaurants.

“The opening of this Hampton Inn & Suites is just the beginning of our company’s vision to transform this section of Erie’s Bayfront into a mixed-use development project which is the ideal place to live, work and plan,” Nick Scott Sr., president of Scott Enterprises, said in a statement.

Contact Jim Martin at jmartin@timesnews.com. Follow him on Twitter @ETNMartin.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
I realize we are in the baby stages, but looking at these pictures is exciting. Love the design plan. My only (minor) gripe is the open spot in the center, right off of the bayfront parkway. Perhaps they want to showcase the full breadth buildings to passerbys?

As far as the boulevard vs. parkway battle. I definitely understand the pro-boulevard peoples' concerns and I think they do a good job of spotting issues and arguing the strengths of a boulevard. However, they omit one glaring issue. How will they address the massive de-elevation at the state street intersection with their plan? Is that issue not what started the entire process from the start? Also, they make hay about the bridges needing private investment to be built (I agree that is a massive issue) BUT who the heck is going to pay for their proposal? Their proposal looks 10 times more expensive than PennDots. Either way, Erie should take anything it can get, within reason. PennDot's plan is reasonable and does at a minimum provide a foundation for a vastly superior bayfront.
Yeah, it is exciting to think that this will become reality (at least in some form). Would truly be a game-changer for the Bayfront and Downown... and the region in general.

I think the open surface parking lot right off the Parkway is to serve the two planned office buildings. Reserved for future use. I imagine that if greater demand is to develop, then another building with an integrated parking structure would be built on that lot. Same for the lot adjacent to the convention center... left open for potential convention center expansion (it was constructed with expansion to the south in mind).

I don't think Erie "should take anything it can get". That's been the pervasive thinking in Erie for decades... and the county has the embarrassingly crappy built environment to show for it. Pressure needs to be put on PennDOT to come up with/consider better design, rather than their "cost engineering" bullshit.

I think priority NEEDS to be placed on the State Street-Bayfront Parkway intersection redesign. It is crying out for something visually striking -- it is truly the "front door" of Erie. And a basic concrete PennDOT highway overpass is not going to cut it.

Otherwise, I don't see the PennDOT plans as being all that out of line with the proposal for the boulevard. They really just added more trees to their drawing, and included the terrace park on the east bluff... which is a great idea! That bluff is completely squandered, especially considering that it is right where Erie's origins began with the site of Fort Presque Isle.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 4:55 PM

A bike ride on Monday made me realize how much construction is going on Downtown. This is EASILY the most construction actively occurring downtown in decades. I have never seen this extent of construction activity in Erie.

U/C
  • Former Holiday Inn 18th & Peach - demo/reno to new hotel and restaurant
  • Citizens Bank - NC at W12th & Peach
  • Gannon University former GTE/Verizon Tower - reno to Institute for Health and Cyber Knowledge
  • Marquette Savings Bank - NC at W10th & Peach
  • Gannon University former Sumner Nichols/RWCE Building - reno for student housing
  • EDDC North Park Row/Exchange block - reno to market, food hall, residential
  • UPMC Hamot Patient Care Tower - NC at E2nd & French
  • Former American Surplus buildings - reno to residential and office between W4th and W5th on State
  • EDDC Cashier House block - reno to residential and office at E5th & State
  • Erie Insurance HQ - NC at E6th & French
  • Federal Courthouse - facade restoration at E6th & State
  • Warner Theater - NC of addition and reno at E9th & State/French
  • UPMC Park - reno and NC of stadium club, LF entrance, RF party deck, streetscape improvements, new outfield wall at E10th & French
  • Boston Store Apartments - reno at W8th & State
  • ValueMomentum Erie office - reno of former Northwest Bank building at 1030 State
  • West Sixth Street National Historic District - reno of multiple mansions to residential and office on W6th between Myrtle and Cherry
  • Harborplace Hampton Inn & Suites - NC at East Canal Basin COMPLETED
  • Bay House restaurant - NC on Sassafras St. Pier
  • East Dobbins Landing - NC of seawall replacement, promenade/park
  • EMTA expansion - NC of parking garage, bus maintenance facility, bus parking facility, administration bldg, passenger transit center on E14th between French & Parade
  • Masonic Temple masonry restoration - reno at W7th & Peach

Proposals
  • Maennerchor - reno to ?
  • Avalon Hotel - reno and rebranding; currently looking for investors/sale
  • Union Square master plan - NC of residential and commercial on Peach between 14th & 12th
  • Daka Paper Warehouse/General Tire/Citizens Bank - reno and NC of mixed-use on W12th between Sassafras and State
  • Gannon University Chapel - reno and NC at W5th & Peach
  • EDDC North Park Row/Greyhound Station - demo and NC
  • EDDC surface lot - NC of residential and mixed-use/parking garage at W5th & Peach
  • EDDC former McDonald's lot - NC of residential and mixed-use at W5th & State
  • Harborplace master plan - NC of large-scale mixed-use development
  • Sassafras Street Pier/GAF site master plan - NC of large-scale mixed-use development
  • East Dobbins Landing - NC of small mixed-use development
  • Public Dock/Dobbins Landing master plan - reno and NC of park and restaurant
  • Bayfront Parkway - NC of State St. interchange, roundabouts, boulevard, pedestrian bridges
  • International Recycling Group (IRG) HQ - NC of world's largest plastics recycling facility, possibly on East Bayfront/Port
  • Richford Arms - $25M reno by Beacon Communities of interior, exterior, and MEP systems of 10-story 1928 apartment building at N. Park Row & State on Perry Square
  • Highpoint Towers - $11M reno of 15-story 1976 apartment building in Midtown Erie at W23rd & Sassafras streets

Last edited by pj3000; Oct 9, 2020 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:16 AM

Glad to see so much activity in Erie!

How's Erie Insurance coming along?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Glad to see so much activity in Erie!

How's Erie Insurance coming along?
Yeah, it’s not like there’s a major skyline-altering addition happening, but at least there’s a bunch of activity and a real vibe of optimism in downtown.

I think it’s just about complete.

It’s... ok.

Nice building that blends in with their red brick campus, but nothing too impressive looking. It was a chance to actually build something in the 20-story range and they pretty much squandered that in favor of a large, low institutional-looking building.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:21 PM

Sounds like a really good mix for this project.

Erie Downtown Development Corp. announces food vendors for Flagship City Food Hall

Beer, wieners, tacos, shawarma, desserts: Erie's Flagship Food Hall announces vendors

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...rs/3516865001/

Quote:
Lucky Louie’s Beer & Wieners, located on Perry Highway, plans a second location in the food hall. The business, which plans to add hamburgers to its menu, was ranked by Yelp in 2018 as one of the top 10 places in America to get a hot dog. Lucky Louie's, which features more than 30 types of hot dogs, is owned by Katie Schmid.

The Shawarma Station, a Middle Eastern food truck that can often be found around Perry Square, will feature shawarmas, salads and smoothies. The business is owned by Bassam Dabbah.

Taste & See Fruit & Veggie Bar is owned by Krystal Robinson, who graduated from Bridgeway Capital’s 18-month Accelerator Program. The menu will offer smoothies, fresh-cut fruit and vegetable slices, infused water, soups and salads.

• A hand-tossed, brick oven pizzeria will be one of three concepts developed by Red Letter Hospitality.

• An artisanal taco and bowl stand is also being developed by Red Letter.

• An authentic delicatessen is also being developed by Red Letter.

The Straw Hat Sundae Shop, a North East business that's been around for more than 50 years, will establish a second location in Erie, where it will sell ice cream from Penn State's Berkey Creamery. Owned by Jeff Seever, Straw Hat is designated as the food hall's primary dessert location and will offer chocolate from local companies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations