HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It'd be cool if someone would do a master plan down there like they did for the riverfront.

It's literally a blank slate down there.
If you are talking about the Philly sports complex, there's a master plan floating around the net. Try to google it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I want infill too, and have many times argued that the area around the stadiums should be much more than it is (ie numerous entertainment options, offices, apartments, etc.). I've been to more than a few stadiums in a lot of different areas, and some have no surface parking, places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc. But those are single stadiums in the middle of the city (and they really, really suck to drive into/out of)...we are different in that we have 3 stadiums/arenas out in the middle of nowhere, getting there by car is still super convenient - love it or hate it, but I believe it was built down there for this very purpose. Places like Pittsburgh have done a good job at balancing multiple stadiums with parking and an entertainment area w/ a bunch of bars and restaurants.
but the area can be developed and still leave vast amounts of surface lots and off set with parking structures.

Look at the huge lot where the Vet used to be, like 3 or 4 square blocks

Even if just the street facing parts were developed along Packer, 11th, Broad even the interior could still have huge amounts of surface parking

also with coordinated traffic flow structured parking can move as quickly as surface on a per car basis; lets not act like people don't get stuck in surface lots for 30-60 minutes in the first place

But even on the edges there it might remove what 10% of the surface spaces; that could easily be offset by a few structures

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
but the area can be developed and still leave vast amounts of surface lots and off set with parking structures.

Look at the huge lot where the Vet used to be, like 3 or 4 square blocks

Even if just the street facing parts were developed along Packer, 11th, Broad even the interior could still have huge amounts of surface parking

also with coordinated traffic flow structured parking can move as quickly as surface on a per car basis; lets not act like people don't get stuck in surface lots for 30-60 minutes in the first place

But even on the edges there it might remove what 10% of the surface spaces; that could easily be offset by a few structures
I agree with you and have the same argument....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:10 AM

Have any of you guys recently seen Ridge Ave anywhere from Girard to Fairmount?
The area is booming. Every empty lot on or around the avenue is built on or set to be built upon, and everything is high density. I really think that with some clever zoning, that area could truly be a place to work/live/play.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Have any of you guys recently seen Ridge Ave anywhere from Girard to Fairmount?
The area is booming. Every empty lot on or around the avenue is built on or set to be built upon, and everything is high density. I really think that with some clever zoning, that area could truly be a place to work/live/play.
Yeah theres a ton of luxury stuff going up. As far as I know, most of it is following zoning which calls for retail on the bottom floor. I just moved out of the neighborhood as a renter, but if they can all attract business along with the Met and everything on fairmount ave, francisville is going to be amazing.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Yeah theres a ton of luxury stuff going up. As far as I know, most of it is following zoning which calls for retail on the bottom floor. I just moved out of the neighborhood as a renter, but if they can all attract business along with the Met and everything on fairmount ave, francisville is going to be amazing.
I'm currently apartment hunting and the only reason I'm not looking at Francisville is grocery store access. As soon as that Aldi is open I'm going to give that area a good long look.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:25 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I'm currently apartment hunting and the only reason I'm not looking at Francisville is grocery store access. As soon as that Aldi is open I'm going to give that area a good long look.
The Fresh Grocer up by Broad and Oxford isn't too far from Francisville's NE corner, and the Whole Foods down by 21st and Pennsylvania isn't too far from its SW corner either. But I agree, the city needs more grocery stores just in general.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The Fresh Grocer up by Broad and Oxford isn't too far from Francisville's NE corner, and the Whole Foods down by 21st and Pennsylvania isn't too far from its SW corner either. But I agree, the city needs more grocery stores just in general.
We totally do. Honestly though, I'd like to see more local markets like Riverwards Produce in Fishtown. I love having that near me. The quality of life of having a neighborhood go-to produce/farmers market can't be stated enough. I wish City Hall would launch a program to do that, bring jobs into local neighborhoods, make the businesses non-franchise so money stays in the neighborhoods, and helps end food deserts throughout the city.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 8:24 PM

Condo building at 21st and Hamilton

From this article: https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190401.html

Seems like they're not going to work with the rail park on "the cut." Fine by me, I think the cut would never be a well-used urban space anyway. Too isolated and dark. It's not like the Parkway is lacking in green space. I would like to see it repurposed for BRT some day.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 8:49 PM

^I can't tell, but does that green area represent a cap of the rail right of way?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^I can't tell, but does that green area represent a cap of the rail right of way?
That's what the article says.
The thing that I find confusing is that this is supposed to be both a "private garden" and "an amenity for the neghborhood"? How does that work?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
That's what the article says.
The thing that I find confusing is that this is supposed to be both a "private garden" and "an amenity for the neghborhood"? How does that work?
Thanks. The amenity might be the ability of passersby to look over the fence....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Thanks. The amenity might be the ability of passersby to look over the fence....
Better than a hole in the ground!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Better than a hole in the ground!
True. I don't think a sunken trail would have much appeal. If some complain about the views from the converted rail viaduct, how much worse is it below grade with less sunshine?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:17 PM

Everyone vote for the Wissahickon!
https://www.aae.org/patients/landmark-contest/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Everyone vote for the Wissahickon!
https://www.aae.org/patients/landmark-contest/
Thank you for making us aware. Votes for Philadelphia/Wissahickon are currently slightly greater than Boston's by a few percentage points; 47 to 44 percent.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:18 PM

130-unit project coming to 2601 Poplar: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...nity-fund.html

Nothing special, but nice density in an area that can handle some more people.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
130-unit project coming to 2601 Poplar: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...nity-fund.html

Nothing special, but nice density in an area that can handle some more people.
Was a bit worried that a certain vacant lot around 26th and Girard was at danger, and I would not be able to indeed attend

Luckily, this is a lot right across the street. Great project for the area.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:31 PM

Glass going up on the circular pavilion at Love Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development