HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
thanks
^ I'm ready to hear a formal announcement on Equinox and what they say exactly.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 11:26 PM

Just some information to keep in mind from the recent Laurel update on Instagram
October- Casson installation & tower crane foundation
November- Excavation complete & tower crane erected (before or by Thanksgiving)
December- Mat pour
November 2020- Topped out with crane above 630 feet

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Is this called "Laurel on the Square" now?
Just got a reply from the Instagram account, Laurel on the Square is the name of their series documenting the construction

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:58 PM

It's about time Equinox came here, they've totally ignored our market for years while they're in boston, chicago, DC, miami etc.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
It's about time Equinox came here, they've totally ignored our market for years while they're in boston, chicago, DC, miami etc.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ionaire-owner/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:55 PM

Stupid question alert....

Why is everyone so hot an bothered about an Equinox?

It's a gym, no?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

It's a gym, no?
Yeah, for the monthly fees of Equinox I'm pretty happy staying at the Fitler Club. The FC is nicer than the one Equinox i visited with about 50 more amenities.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

It's a gym, no?
I belonged to one a long time ago and while it was nice, it wasn't anything that amazing. I think it is a city-status thing more than anything.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah, for the monthly fees of Equinox I'm pretty happy staying at the Fitler Club. The FC is nicer than the one Equinox i visited with about 50 more amenities.
It's also pricier. You get more with that, but if all you want is just a gym, the bells and whistles of that social club aren't needed. Equinox is nicer than any gym the City currently has. No more, no less. The ones I belonged to are definitely nicer than the Bellevue Sporting Club, which I belonged to until August. Not as nice as Lifetime and some others.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:11 AM
Philly Rising Up!

JS,

I forget...but will there be retail space for a restaurant in the Laurel? Because of the location, I feel like something worthy of a big name chef would do well.

BTW...if you guys haven't tried Walnut Street Cafe in the FMC bldg, it's pretty good and the ambiance/decor is really nice.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
JS,

I forget...but will there be retail space for a restaurant in the Laurel? Because of the location, I feel like something worthy of a big name chef would do well.

BTW...if you guys haven't tried Walnut Street Cafe in the FMC bldg, it's pretty good and the ambiance/decor is really nice.
I don't think so. But one reason I wanted to see the formal announcement. I think they said there is one tenant taking all the retail, and is that is Equinox, it means no independent restaurant. I think a few of the Equinox have more upscale, sit down restaurants, though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:57 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I don't think so. But one reason I wanted to see the formal announcement. I think they said there is one tenant taking all the retail, and is that is Equinox, it means no independent restaurant. I think a few of the Equinox have more upscale, sit down restaurants, though.
Ok thanks! Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Moravian St. is tucked in the back of walnut so not as high profile and in front of the Park, but a restaurant would also work back here. Probably too early to tell if someone is looking at a liquor license for this location.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:48 PM

If it is Equinox and no restaurant, my excitement for this project just took a massive hit.

To not put in a great restaurant is a head-scratching, mind numbing missed opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
It's also pricier. You get more with that, but if all you want is just a gym, the bells and whistles of that social club aren't needed. Equinox is nicer than any gym the City currently has. No more, no less. The ones I belonged to are definitely nicer than the Bellevue Sporting Club, which I belonged to until August. Not as nice as Lifetime and some others.
The prices my NYC friends pay at Equinox are pretty comparable to what I pay at FC... Obviously it will be cheaper here, but it will be interesting to see what price they can command on Rittenhouse Square knowing that a large portion of local mover/shaker types are already members of FC.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:24 PM

This is old, but:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:11 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Thanks, this is helpful. Gives me hope that there still might be one and it's on Walnut too...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
The prices my NYC friends pay at Equinox are pretty comparable to what I pay at FC... Obviously it will be cheaper here, but it will be interesting to see what price they can command on Rittenhouse Square knowing that a large portion of local mover/shaker types are already members of FC.
I have friends who will do both...like a lot of suburban people belong to a gym and country club. 24th and Market is not convenient to use as a daily gym for everyone. In Chicago, Equinox runs from $130-150 a month, I believe, which is a good indicator of what cost will likely be here. Fitler Club is a couple thousand for initiation fee ($2000-$5000) and between $225-$400 monthly depending on age with minimum monthly spend on food and drink of $75.

I'm sure a good swathe of the group here is annoyed with the direction of this conversation, so I'll move on...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
This is old, but:

Current plan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Equinox is $225ish a month for a "global" membership, meaning you can use any facility except for the Printing House in Soho, and usually about $140/month for use of a single location.

Of course, everyone's rate is a bit different because most people get a small discount through their employer, but that's the ballpark.

The thing about Equinox is that every location is quite different, based on the size of the space and the building that it was carved out of. I'd say no two are exactly alike.

There are locations in NYC that I abhor and there are locations that look like the best fitness club you've been to. I dunno, I think there is room for two.

And, there are people (like me) who travel between the two cities frequently and would like to work out in my gym without paying extra. There is no Fitler Club in NYC. So if I'm choosing between the two for my personal circumstances, it's Equinox.

I'm looking foward to the location in Philly.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I have friends who will do both...like a lot of suburban people belong to a gym and country club. 24th and Market is not convenient to use as a daily gym for everyone. In Chicago, Equinox runs from $130-150 a month, I believe, which is a good indicator of what cost will likely be here. Fitler Club is a couple thousand for initiation fee ($2000-$5000) and between $225-$400 monthly depending on age with minimum monthly spend on food and drink of $75.

I'm sure a good swathe of the group here is annoyed with the direction of this conversation, so I'll move on...
How have you found the Fitler Club so far? I was considering joining but the wait list seems super long at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive