HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Crested. Why are they shoring this up after the original construction? Was there a construction defect or did it have something to do with a future tunnel or something they were going to build to the old south side of the convention and decided not to? I vaguely remember something on this.
Sorry, just read your reply. I don't know much about the convention center, but I believe you are correct. The plan was to build an underground connection to the South Building, but that was scrapped. So they are replacing the temporary shoring with permanent shoring.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
"Two-level Parking Garage providing approximately 430 spaces in approximately 203,244 gross square feet"

https://www.medistarcorp.com/in-development/
Maybe my brain isn't working, but on the web site it's clear this is underground. I know the page says that, but the comment just says "two-level" above so I felt the need to clarify, for my own sake.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
The procurement officer for the City of Phoenix Community and Economic Development Department emailed me back this morning stating that within the last year, the City Council has indicated it is not willing to sell/lease the South Convention Hall site without the means to replace the space.
Is that not consistent with the suggestions from the report we saw? I don't think it was an actual proposal, I believe it was a consultant's report that they are following. Let me know if I'm wrong...

AND I actually agree with that stated stance. Now is not the time to expand convention space, so I'm OK with waiting in hopes that we could get something really great down the road. I would love to see something like they have in many cities including San Jose where they have convention space that is attached to both a Hilton and Marriot. We have neither downtown right now, so that would be my ideal scenario, even if it's 5 years down the road.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Maybe my brain isn't working, but on the web site it's clear this is underground. I know the page says that, but the comment just says "two-level" above so I felt the need to clarify, for my own sake.
They have above and below ground parking.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
They have above and below ground parking.
Just below ground. See the website and the link Crested posted

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:23 AM

I think what would be extremely ideal and a win-win situation is the northern portion of the Southern Convention Center had two skinny towering hotels connecting with the Convention Center. Then the rest of that space could be the Coyotes' arena / multi-use arena. Which would build/legitimize our Sports Entertainment district.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:42 PM

Living on the east valley would love to have the Coyotes downtown. Used to go to a lot of games when they were there. Only gone to about two since they moved to Glendale.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Is that not consistent with the suggestions from the report we saw? I don't think it was an actual proposal, I believe it was a consultant's report that they are following. Let me know if I'm wrong...

AND I actually agree with that stated stance. Now is not the time to expand convention space, so I'm OK with waiting in hopes that we could get something really great down the road. I would love to see something like they have in many cities including San Jose where they have convention space that is attached to both a Hilton and Marriot. We have neither downtown right now, so that would be my ideal scenario, even if it's 5 years down the road.
I don't remember a report, but remember the Smithgroup renderings of two possible scenarios of hotel/residential or hotel/commercial if that's what you're speaking about.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:07 PM

Increased construction activity in downtown Phoenix could lead to shortage of develop

This is a good problem to have. Only place to go now is up

Quote:
Because of this new development, Macpherson said downtown Phoenix is beginning to see a “land challenge” as more of the easily developable parcels have already been built out. Now, “pencil development” with taller, skinnier buildings with a small footprint are becoming more common in downtown.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ane-count.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
This is a good problem to have. Only place to go now is up

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ane-count.html
I would be most happy with pencil development. Let's see some mini versions of what Manhattan is building. I'd love to see some badass height to width ratios and see what architects can come up with.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:53 PM

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what's going on with the project on the northwest corner of Central and Indian School?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know what's going on with the project on the northwest corner of Central and Indian School?
This project has had 10 permits and plan reviews submitted within the last few weeks. Project number is 19-598 if you want to look them up on Phoenix development website. That’s all I know so far.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
This project has had 10 permits and plan reviews submitted within the last few weeks. Project number is 19-598 if you want to look them up on Phoenix development website. That’s all I know so far.
I'm assuming Northeast corned is paused indefinitely? It had alot of office space and would've been a hard sell there to begin with... now with Covid it's probably impossible.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:27 PM

Here are a couple images of the U-Haul midtown campus conference and fitness center and a view of downtown Phoenix, where you can see the Link phase 2 and the crane for the Derby.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:22 PM

https://youtu.be/bXbqgLQ1v6k

Couldn’t get the YT link to work, but here is a driving tour that shows off the progress on construction.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming Northeast corned is paused indefinitely? It had alot of office space and would've been a hard sell there to begin with... now with Covid it's probably impossible.
Wasn't that project called Park Central?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 1:47 AM
Skyriser

The Central Park...they have until February to apply and pay for permits.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:04 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The Central Park...they have until February to apply and pay for permits.
Thanks for the clarification. We've see the renderings it is a massive project. Lets hope their still in the game.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:15 PM

Astra Approved:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-approved.html

A tower that could soon be Arizona's tallest building received final approval Wednesday from Phoenix City Council.

Council approved an amendment that will allow Aspirant Development, a division of Scottsdale-based Empire Group, to build a mixed-use project, called Astra Phoenix, that will include a tower reaching 535 feet at its highest point — surpassing the state's tallest building, the 483-foot Chase Tower on Central Avenue. A second planned tower would reach 380 feet. Apartments and a hotel are proposed for the towers.

Astra Phoenix is planned on 2.8 acres in downtown near Second Avenue and Van Buren Street. The site is currently a surface parking lot and is adjacent to the Downtown YMCA.

On Wednesday, Council also approved realigning the Taylor Street pedestrian paseo through the project between the two towers.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the architect of the mixed-use project.

In a panel discussion hosted by the Phoenix Business Journal in September, Nick Wood, a partner at Snell & Wilmer, the zoning attorney for the project, said activity in downtown Phoenix has put the city on the map for capital markets looking for places to invest.

“Phoenix has become a mainstream name when it comes to high-rise development,” he said at the time. “With all of the investment that has been made by the city and state in downtown, it has drawn high demand.”

Phoenix has seen an influx of high-rise construction in recent months, with several apartment and hotel projects under construction. There were 16 tower cranes over Phoenix’s Central Business District in the third quarter of 2020, an increase from nine in the first quarter, according to the latest Rider Levett Bucknall crane count, which tallies tower cranes in major cities in the United States and Canada.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:30 PM

Question hasn't Garfield House on the same agenda yesterday?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest