HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:11 PM

[Dartmouth] Crown Tower (392 Portland Street) | 21 m | 7 fl | Proposed

Case 23019 - Design Advisory Committee Report (original source of rendering above).

New proposal from Zzap Architecture going before Design Advisory Committee this week. This is located just north of Prince Arthur Avenue. It's a narrow mid-block lot. The parking is to be accessed from the rear (easement from Prince Arthur). The building will have 41 residential units.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:27 PM

"tower" that's cute. I got excited for nothing.. I thought for a second maybe some height. It's an ok proposal.
what's the status of the more striking tall kings wharf tower in Dartmouth?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
"tower" that's cute. I got excited for nothing.. I thought for a second maybe some height. It's an ok proposal.
what's the status of the more striking tall kings wharf tower in Dartmouth?
Hah. I thought that too on first glance. A dramatic new 40 storey tower? Not exactly.

But these little developments are how better urban fabric is built over time. I wish they had a little more character. They all seem to be white/grey with some wood panel type accents these days.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hah. I thought that too on first glance. A dramatic new 40 storey tower? Not exactly.

But these little developments are how better urban fabric is built over time. I wish they had a little more character. They all seem to be white/grey with some wood panel type accents these days.
This started to bother me but think that’s pretty much how these mid scale developments go. How many mid century red brick 3 stacks are there? How many 70s beige brick buildings are there? Not that I don’t think variety and uniqueness aren’t valuable, especially in these infil-ish lots. But I think it’s just the contemporary safe architecture of the day.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Not that I don’t think variety and uniqueness aren’t valuable, especially in these infil-ish lots. But I think it’s just the contemporary safe architecture of the day.
I wouldn't want them all to be completely out-there architecturally. I think they would look nicer if they had a bit more ornamentation and colour. Subtle examples of this abound like in the Hal Forbes type North End redos. You don't see much painted colourful wood anymore. It is almost all muted tones.

It is a bit higher end but Queen's Marque has a version of that too with some metalwork and glasswork around ground level.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:52 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This started to bother me but think that’s pretty much how these mid scale developments go. How many mid century red brick 3 stacks are there? How many 70s beige brick buildings are there? Not that I don’t think variety and uniqueness aren’t valuable, especially in these infil-ish lots. But I think it’s just the contemporary safe architecture of the day.
Yeah, we’ll probably look back on these as the 2020s urban infill style. I would like to see more variety and colour, but ultimately I think the form and function of the building matters most.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:16 PM

For the Dartmouth people out there, this is the lot next to Pizza Girls.

Looks like good, solid, infill development.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth