HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Europa in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:20 PM
we built this city

Nice.

I don't see there being any NIMBY issues out there. Maybe it blocks the view of Mic Mac Mall?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 2:28 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Nice.

I don't see there being any NIMBY issues out there. Maybe it blocks the view of Mic Mac Mall?
Oh wait for it... there will be people that complain about the impact on views from the lakeside homes on Mic Mac Lake, and oh won't it affect the winds on Banook, and bla bla bla

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:51 AM

This proposal now has a planning case (see link below). To note is the site adjacent to this has a plan approved for 168 apartments;

Case 17143 Details

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:07 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This proposal now has a planning case (see link below). To note is the site adjacent to this has a plan approved for 168 apartments;

Case 17143 Details
Thanks for posting the link.

Too bad this wasn't proposed for downtown Halifax (it would look great at the old TexPark site).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:45 AM
BANNED

This looks really good

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There looked to be a new access road or something cleared in this area. It's visible from MicMac Blvd. Hopefully it's the start of something here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
There looked to be a new access road or something cleared in this area. It's visible from MicMac Blvd. Hopefully it's the start of something here.
I would bet it is for the Dexel buildings on the old MT&T site next door, now that the City Centre building is nearing completion, it makes sense they would be moving on their next project.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:11 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I did wonder that. Are you referring to the one mentioned earlier in the thread. A 7 storey building or something like that?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I did wonder that. Are you referring to the one mentioned earlier in the thread. A 7 storey building or something like that?
I think it was 2 buildings, but 7 floors sounds about right.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:14 AM

is this approved?

I thought they had to go to community, then council for approval for height and density?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:30 AM

I think Horizon Court III must be someone in the queue still, it is still on the planning website, usually they remove stuff after it is approved. The smaller Dexel building is approved I believe.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:29 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think it was 2 buildings, but 7 floors sounds about right.
Here is the thread for the Dexel development (2 x 7 storeys - residential/commercial) - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197535 (Dmajackson's compilation thread is very useful for finding such information). Here is the development agreement - http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...12Dec1HECC.pdf .

As for the 27 storey Horizon III, the status is given on the halifax.ca website - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17143Details.html
Quote:
Status
A public information meeting (PIM) was held September 7, 2011 to receive feedback from citizens regarding the proposal. HRM planning staff reviewed the enabling policy and the process in regards to the application with respect to the provisions of the Dartmouth MPS and to respond to any questions or concerns. The developer was represented by his consultant who presented the proposal and answered questions from the public.

Staff will consider the input received at the PIM, conduct an internal review of the application, and submit a staff report to HECC, who will then make a decision to forward the recommendation to a public hearing. Following the public hearing, HECC will make a decision to approve, approve with modifications or not approve the recommendation. The decision is appealable to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by HRM staff to properly evaluate the application. All documents are available for viewing at the Planning Services office in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:00 AM

Thought that was the case.

I know Dexel's is approved, but Horizon court III is still in the planning offices.

The thread is a bit misleading (title).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:34 AM
we built this city

At 27 stories this would be visible from many points around the harbour, you can see the first two buildings quite well and they can't be near that tall.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:08 AM
BANNED

I'm surprised that nobody has posted a picture of the last Horizon Court building to go up on this site.... it looks like a communist housing block.

Is the developer of this proposal the same las the last one? I don't think there's a chance of this getting approved if it is...

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has posted a picture of the last Horizon Court building to go up on this site.... it looks like a communist housing block.

Is the developer of this proposal the same las the last one? I don't think there's a chance of this getting approved if it is...
You think it's ugly and you think that's a reason it won't be approved?

Welcome to Halifax! Stayin' long?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:46 AM
Honored Member

According to the allnovascotia.com, the Harboureast Community Council will consider the 27 storey Can-Euro Horizon III proposal on July 5th. The HRM staff report is recommending that it be allowed to proceed. Here is a link to the development agreement that will be considered - http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...14hecc1011.pdf.

The renderings for the Horizon Court III certainly makes it look better than the first two towers. http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...Renderings.pdf

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to the allnovascotia.com, the Harboureast Community Council will consider the 27 storey Can-Euro Horizon III proposal on July 5th. The HRM staff report is recommending that it be allowed to proceed. Here is a link to the development agreement that will be considered - http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...14hecc1011.pdf.

The renderings for the Horizon Court III certainly makes it look better than the first two towers. http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...Renderings.pdf
I loved the comment at the end by the developer who said, with respect to the previous public meeting, that "The only negative comment came from a woman who didn't even live nearby and dislikes all tall buildings."
I do give her some credit... it takes a lot of time and effort to be that disruptive and negative. Thankfully these people are being more actively tunes out and ignored in the process (Chronicle Herald histrionics aside).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I loved the comment at the end by the developer who said, with respect to the previous public meeting, that "The only negative comment came from a woman who didn't even live nearby and dislikes all tall buildings."
I do give her some credit... it takes a lot of time and effort to be that disruptive and negative. Thankfully these people are being more actively tunes out and ignored in the process (Chronicle Herald histrionics aside).
This comment is funny:
Quote:
enjoys the beautiful view of the harbor and expressed concern with the impact the building will have, the additional traffic and the lack of interest the commercial component
will have since they are having a hard time filling commercial spaces in Mic Mac Mall.
Really? Impact the building will have on the view of the harbour? Mic Mac Mall is is having trouble filling commerercial spaces? Really?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:10 PM
we built this city

Typical song and dance from the obstructionist crowd. I hope that during the summer months they actually have less time on their hands to meddle in democratic processes based upon their normative assumptions. These folks are out-to-lunch and are being taken less seriously every year that passes...

Halifax is growing and it will not be stopped.

This building will add good density to an area already fairly well served by transit options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth