HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 3:22 AM

Anyone see the crowd at Mosaic stadium in Regina tonight? I swear for 30,000 it looks a lot bigger to me. 25k is what Halifax should be aiming for,with the ability to expand to 30 in the future.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:54 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Anyone see the crowd at Mosaic stadium in Regina tonight? I swear for 30,000 it looks a lot bigger to me. 25k is what Halifax should be aiming for,with the ability to expand to 30 in the future.
I wonder if there is the will in Halifax to commit to 25K in permanent seating. It might be easier to start with 15K with an extra 10K-15K in temporary seating. Moncton already has a 10K stadium plus 10K in temporary seating for 20K so Halifax should be able to do something similar or more.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Does anyone have a connection at The Coast or the Metro Daily? Perhaps they could be convinced to run a continuous ad about a stadium and give the link to the online petition.
I missed this earlier. Which paper would be best to run it in? The Metro, Coast or Chronicle Herald? It is time to get a group together to raise funds for advertising; such as a continuous ad stating that there are many HRM residents who would like a stadium and CFL team. I would be willing to pay for some advertising (I am not rich but I could put $1000 towards it to start with).

Does anyone on the forum know how to set up a fund that would be considered to be similar to charity in that tax receipts can be issued. Then people could contribute to it and claim it as tax deductible on their income tax. Is there anyone on this forum who could approach someone in the Regional Municipality about setting up such a trust fund? Maybe it would be good to approach a councilor (preferably one who supported the Commonwealth Games bid).

Develop a plan to have the stadium built, for example:
1) Come up with a group of people to promote the stadium. Then have a name for the group; Halifax Stadium Advocates (or a better name). The important thing is to get as many people involved as possible. Develop a business plan stating why it is important to the HRM (example: to attract new residents, retain current residents and for a better quality of life in the HRM). This business plan can propose possible sites and designs. Be well prepared prior to talking to people in power (Don't be put off by politicians who don't take you seriously). The business plan should look like a professional report (for example look at http://www.hiaa.ca/images/pdf_files/...ess%20Plan.pdf )
2) Advertise in local newspapers using the above group name (or a better name).
3) Talk to councilors.
4) Set up a trust fund to donate to the Stadium Building Fund (similar to the new Halifax Farmers Market).
5) Seek funding through the Federal, Provincial and HRM governments. To do this the group will need people in government to promote the cause.

I hope that there are people on this forum who will refine this list and put more thought into the plan. I believe that the only way that this will get built is if the citizens (and non-citizens) of HRM push it.

The group (Halifax Stadium Advocates?) should remain active during the stadium planning; to see that the site and design will be what the majority of citizens want it to be. In other words the Group must remain active throughout the planning and construction.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:08 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I missed this earlier. Which paper would be best to run it in? The Metro, Coast or Chronicle Herald? It is time to get a group together to raise funds for advertising; such as a continuous ad stating that there are many HRM residents who would like a stadium and CFL team. I would be willing to pay for some advertising (I am not rich but I could put $1000 towards it to start with).

Does anyone on the forum know how to set up a fund that would be considered to be similar to charity in that tax receipts can be issued. Then people could contribute to it and claim it as tax deductible on their income tax. Is there anyone on this forum who could approach someone in the Regional Municipality about setting up such a trust fund? Maybe it would be good to approach a councilor (preferably one who supported the Commonwealth Games bid).

Develop a plan to have the stadium built, for example:
1) Come up with a group of people to promote the stadium. Then have a name for the group; Halifax Stadium Advocates (or a better name). The important thing is to get as many people involved as possible. Develop a business plan stating why it is important to the HRM (example: to attract new residents, retain current residents and for a better quality of life in the HRM). This business plan can propose possible sites and designs. Be well prepared prior to talking to people in power (Don't be put off by politicians who don't take you seriously). The business plan should look like a professional report (for example look at http://www.hiaa.ca/images/pdf_files/...ess%20Plan.pdf )
2) Advertise in local newspapers using the above group name (or a better name).
3) Talk to councilors.
4) Set up a trust fund to donate to the Stadium Building Fund (similar to the new Halifax Farmers Market).
5) Seek funding through the Federal, Provincial and HRM governments. To do this the group will need people in government to promote the cause.

I hope that there are people on this forum who will refine this list and put more thought into the plan. I believe that the only way that this will get built is if the citizens (and non-citizens) of HRM push it.

The group (Halifax Stadium Advocates?) should remain active during the stadium planning; to see that the site and design will be what the majority of citizens want it to be. In other words the Group must remain active throughout the planning and construction.
Good luck!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Way to selectively quote.
He was referring to the general attitude held by many in Halifax, not just specific to a stadium.
Well... we we are talking about a stadium and the example was about people leaving because we don't have things like that here... perhaps because of an attitude problem. But ya. He was speaking in general terms. And I would agree that this place can have an attitude problem. Speaking for myself though... I'm very pro-development and I love Halifax and tend to dream just as big at the next guy here... but in this particular case... I'm unconvinced a stadium makes sense or would ever happen. But you're right. It's fun to talk about. No harm in dreaming. So I take back the negativity.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:34 PM

Maybe they could sell seats in the new stadium for $1000 like they did at the Citadel High theater a 35 000 seat stadium could bring in $35 000 000

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 8:02 PM
we built this city

That is a great idea! I would buy a seat... those things are like gold in the future.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
That is a great idea! I would buy a seat... those things are like gold in the future.
Unfortunately buying a seat is not the same as owning it. You would still have to pay for tickets to events or become a season ticket holder for a league (CFL team eg.) And there is no guarantee you could sit in the seat you "bought".

The $1000 a seat would go towards capital costs of the venue, not the operating costs of the facility nor would it cover the costs of franchising and running a team or paying a promoter's and entertainer's fees. This kind of capital financing arrangement could more aptly be called "sponsoring" a seat.

On the bright side, you might get your name on a little brass plaque on the bottom of "your" seat.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
On the bright side, you might get your name on a little brass plaque on the bottom of "your" seat.
Thats more what I was talking about

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Honored Member

Now we need a spokesman or spokesmen in the Halifax area. I am willing to do some behind the scenes work such as preparing reports and donating some money. But we need someone in the Halifax area who is willing to approach politicians and even speak on TV or radio if the opportunity arises (if the group is successful then this will most likely happen). Also we need people to start a petition and knock on doors.

I am very serious about this, but I need help with it. Who is interested in the Halifax area in settling up a group and organizing meetings? I would like to contact the person who started the online petition to see if he is interested ( http://www.petitiononline.com/hstadium/petition.html ). There are also people on the Skyscraperpage Forum who seem to be interested in this. What about Fusion Halifax? They already have scheduled meetings and a website. Would they be interested in this cause? Is there anyone on this forum who is involved in the Fusion Halifax group? One question that I have regards the introductory statement to their website "FUSION Halifax is a networking group for young Halifax residents who are inspired to make their city a better place to live, work and play" I am sure that there are a lot of middle-aged and older residents that have similar interests. It is not only young people who are pro-development.

Regarding the sponsorship idea, I think that it is very important in order to get this going. I don't think that it would raise $35,000,000 (although I wish that it would). Also, I think that people donating $1000 should only expect to have their name on a large plaque in the stadium. I think a reasonable goal would be to raise $3,000,000 (3000 sponsors) which would be enough to possibly buy land for the stadium. However, once we start talking about this amount of money, it is important that the money be protected within a trust fund with the name of a trustworthy group in the Halifax area. This is why I think it is necessary to get the HRM involved right from the beginning so that they can be part of the organization and set up a trust fund which could accept tax deductible donations. However, it is also important not to rely on the HRM to do all the work. If the Commonwealth Games bid had been successful, thousands of volunteers would have been required. So I think that it would be possible to get a couple hundred involved in promoting a stadium and to knock on doors to promote it (just look at President Barack Obama's campaign, he was able to get many thousands of people knocking on doors) .

We need a website similar in scope to this one ( http://www.halifaxfarmersmarket.com/ ). Didn't they have a sponsorship program? If so, they were successful so it would be a good idea to contact them for details on settling it up.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:11 AM

So what would we do after we get the land

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M View Post
So what would we do after we get the land
The most important thing is that it will show the Federal, Provincial and municipal governments that there are people who want a stadium for their city, and it will also be a significant contribution to the capital cost. Just look at the Halifax Farmers market; they started out by getting contributions from residents and then they were able to get money from the various levels of government.

The Commonwealth Games bid had a very vocal opponent (I forget his name). In fairness to that person, the CG bid got out of hand and it was best to end it. However, with regards to building a stadium the cost is much lower and it will be used for numerous events. It is important to have a group set up to promote it so that one person can't shoot it down almost singlehandedly.

I sent an email to the person that set up the online petition for the stadium and I hope that he will contribute to this thread (if he isn't already contributing). His name is Scott Smith at g.scott.smith@hotmail.com . I got his name from the petition site. Maybe he and others can start collecting names by going door to door and send their petition to the politicians in power.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
Honored Member

Just to clarify Scott Smith is a proponent of the Stadium not the person who opposed the CG bid.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 1:49 AM

We need some sponsorship as well.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 1:57 AM

We could make a website where people can donate

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
We could make a website where people can donate
We need a website. Being able to donate through the website would also be good. It has to be set up as a secure Trust Fund so that people will feel confident that their money will actually be used for a stadium. This is the tough part setting up a fund. This is why it would be good to have it protected through a government agency and have it as a tax deductible donation.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:47 AM

Well setting up the website would be easy although we would need to advertise and get it out to public

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Well setting up the website would be easy although we would need to advertise and get it out to public
Are you interested in setting up a website? What website hosting would you recommend? The following link http://web-hosting-reviews.ca/?KID=190022243005417971 recommends Hostpapa http://www.hostpapa.ca/whr_offer.shtml . I don't mind paying the monthly fee for the next 2 years but I am not proficient at doing websites.

I would not recommend setting it up for donations since there is a liability involved but I would be interested in contacting people at the HRM to see if someone trusted in the HRM would establish a trust fund. Then donations could be redirected to a trust fund once it is set up. The website would be just for information material (proposed locations and designs).

Since it would be best to have a group of people meet and agree on planning and website information, I would recommend that a group is established first to contribute to the website. For this plan to be successful (building a stadium) it will have to be run like a business. I can see a lot of potential problems if it is not done with the blessings of people in the HRM council since in the end they will be the ones that can actually get the stadium built.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:16 PM

I would be interested in setting up a website but I would need to know what to include in it before I start

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I would be interested in setting up a website but I would need to know what to include in it before I start
This will require input from all interested in this project. However, my idea would be to start with a website to gather people's opinions on what they would like to see in a stadium in terms of design and location. The website should have an email address so that people can send their opinions.

I would start with a rough outline of the website pages. Example:
page 1) Introduction - Why a stadium is required/desired in the HRM. (to be used for concerts, university games, CFL, soccer, etc.). Clearly state that this is what is desired and not what is planned. I wouldn't want people to think of this as a hoax and having people believing that it has already been committed to by the city.
page 2) Stadium design proposals (pictures of various stadiums could be posted, examples: Moncton Stadium, Suputo Stadium, Akron Ohio Stadium, Blue Bombers Proposed New Stadium, etc. I personally would propose a basic stadium of 15,000 permanent bench style seats for which the capacity can be increased by temporary seating to say 30,000. To me, it is important that the stadium become a benefit to the HRM residents and not a burden. If successful, the stadium can be expanded with more permanent seats in the future.
page 3) proposed sites and advantages/disadvantages of each (example: transit is good/poor, parking is available or not, etc.)
page 4) Feedback - request opinions from those viewing the website. What do viewers of the website wish to see in a stadium and the location.

Could people reading this thread indicate if they will contribute material to a website? What is the best way to contribute material. Can it be done directly through this forum by posting material? Some people on this forum are very good at describing their thoughts. Whenever you see something on this tread that you would like to use on the website it would be a good idea to ask the author if you can use their material.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment