HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 6:34 PM

Transit is getting $33mil from either the province or feds from what I saw yesterday. Does that $40m include that money?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That was was fairly concrete. There have been numerous other proposals over time. But more recently. 10 years ago the transportation master plan identified 6 lines to be built. Those line have now changed location a bunch of times. And have been dedicated corridors to on street to whatever. So I'm not holding my breath on the most recent plan. We'll see if it holds up over time.
While the locations have changed slightly, the general idea has remained the same. I think while before they were saying 6 lines, they essentially just doubled each up – there were 6 spurs before, but now we have 3 different lines that include all 6 planned spurs.

Ex: The Portage line and SW lines have been combined to be one, BLUE.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Aside from Osborne, the entire thing past the UofM is in light industrial areas that aren’t major trip generators and are disconnected from the busier Pembina Hwy and residential areas to the west. Parts are somewhat connected to the western part of South Osborne but they’re missing the main part.

Which brings me to the next thing — Osborne Station. It’s actually a very good BRT station in terms of design, but it’s location is terrible. Someone mentioned it is between the busier stretches of the Village, South Osborne, and Corydon, and while this is correct, it is a bit of a dead zone and completely misses the busiest/densest parts of all 3. I do think there’s merit to the station there, but ideally, the line would have turned here to go up Osborne itself and have a station at River or Stradbrook, then cross the river and have a station at the Legislature, then at the UofW/Bay, then continue down Portage to Main (or alternatively use the Graham Mall). This routing would hit the main parts of Osborne and all the parts of Downtown Winnipeg efficiently.

Also, there is a rail line right there (which I believe is supposed to be decommissioned but I could be wrong).... just convert it to LRT like Edmonton did in 1978.

Basically, it goes nowhere of note, and would work better as a Downtown-UofM express bus, than a meaningful BRT. It misses key nodes and corridors and is disappointingly not rail. In my time using it, barely anyone uses stops between the UofM and Osborne.

Admittedly, I’m from Edmonton and so sometimes the lack of ambition in Winnipeg is startling. That being said, Edmonton has a lot of transit issues as well.
Not running the BRT along the rail line, parallel to Penbina Highway was a huge mistake. It's so dense along Pembina, with many apartment buildings for seniors and students. Additionally, the dog leg takes more time to traverse from the U of M to Osborne. I also wish there was some way of running a BRT line down the median of a divided road (Portage, Grant Ave, etc). Calgary just built a BRT line from Downtown to the Forest Lawn area recently, so it can be done. It's a shame that the city did not designate the old rail line that ran parallel to St James Street and Centennial St. as a future BRT line. It would have been perfect to run it from Red River College to Waverley West.

BTW, why did Edmonton build the LRT from Claireview to Downtown, and just leave it like that for over 20 years? I have always been perplexed, as to why there is no line from the West Edmonton Mall to Downtown. I see they are finally building a line to Millwoods, but it seemingly took forever to build any LRT line to the south part of the city, especially when Calgary completed the majority of their C-Train within 6 years (1981-87).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
BTW, why did Edmonton build the LRT from Claireview to Downtown, and just leave it like that for over 20 years? I have always been perplexed, as to why there is no line from the West Edmonton Mall to Downtown. I see they are finally building a line to Millwoods, but it seemingly took forever to build any LRT line to the south part of the city, especially when Calgary completed the majority of their C-Train within 6 years (1981-87).
The 90s were a bit of a stagnant time in Western Canada... there wasn't much of an appetite for ambitious projects. Edmonton is making up for lost time, though... in addition to the new lines they've opened, they are now working on a line to WEM and beyond.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:03 PM

It's possible to do anything. Just need the will. We could run LRT down every single street in the City.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
I also wish there was some way of running a BRT line down the median of a divided road (Portage, Grant Ave, etc).
Y posts down the median for an elevated platform like the Skytrain is definitely possible but it also is far from cheap.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:06 PM

I'm not going to vote for or against the bus hub because I don't understand the over-all design. I can't tell where the buses are coming from and where they are going.

Will there really be four different lanes of buses going south? The west side of Main, the east side of Main, the rail yard and Isreal Asper Way?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Not running the BRT along the rail line, parallel to Penbina Highway was a huge mistake. It's so dense along Pembina, with many apartment buildings for seniors and students. Additionally, the dog leg takes more time to traverse from the U of M to Osborne. I also wish there was some way of running a BRT line down the median of a divided road (Portage, Grant Ave, etc). Calgary just built a BRT line from Downtown to the Forest Lawn area recently, so it can be done. It's a shame that the city did not designate the old rail line that ran parallel to St James Street and Centennial St. as a future BRT line. It would have been perfect to run it from Red River College to Waverley West.

What is the “dog leg” people keep referring to?

I haven’t ridden the BRT in Calgary, but I did get to see it while in that city over the summer and it looks really good. I’ve heard good things from Calgarians who’ve used it, too. The Forest Lawn line isn’t even the only one they’ve got, and they only decided to build BRT a few years back!

Edmonton’s LRT was stunted by two things. The first was tunnelling underground downtown and at the UofA. It’s nice now that it’s all done, but it was costlier and more time consuming than Calgary’s all above ground approach, which meant that time and funding could go to further extending the lines. That, and there was big austerity in Alberta over the 90s and early 00s during the Klein years, a premier who also didn’t like Edmonton much.

I fully agree with the rest of what you’re saying. I made some remarks in the P&M thread but they may be better suited here:

Quote:
On the topic of Stradbrook and Harkness, I still don't really like how these stations seem to be less about getting people to a destination (unless that destination is Downtown or the UofM) and more about creating transfer points. Such points are useful, don't get me wrong, but if the system isn't adequately getting people to key destinations, then getting people to transfer or do long walks to hit where they actually want to go makes transit inconvenient and noncompetitive.

I am once again thinking about how the routing of the Southwest Transitway sucks and this transit plan seems to double down on that. The routing should go from Osborne Station up Osborne, have a station at the part of the village people actually live/hang at, cross the river and have a station by the Legislature/WAG, and then connect to the UofW/IG Building/Bay/Portage Place and then go down Portage. Have another line which just goes straight down Osborne into South Osborne, across the Red River, and eventually meeting up with St Vital Centre.

Unless I'm reading the transit plans incorrectly, there are buses that go down these roads, but I don't actually see a designated stop on Osborne at River or by the Leg. It looks like buses just zoom from Osborne Station to Colony Station. The map could only be showing stops on the RT lines, so I admit I could be misreading. But I regularly see more people huddled around the shelters on Osborne at River than I do at Osborne, let alone Harkness Station.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I'm not going to vote for or against the bus hub because I don't understand the over-all design. I can't tell where the buses are coming from and where they are going.

Will there really be four different lanes of buses going south? The west side of Main, the east side of Main, the rail yard and Isreal Asper Way?
You can share that feedback with the City.

To your question, there will be some buses on Main St, some in Union station, and then there will be a bus route that does go directly into the Forks.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:25 AM

If you look at the view of the intersection of Broadway & Main, you can see the stop line is far back to allow busses to turn to and from Broadway from the busway easily. It seems like all busses that use Main (or any other road with a busway) will use the busway, and turn on/off where needed. Because there will be way less bus routes now that would intersect these routes, that shouldn't be too much work to reconfigure some intersections a bit. Really just need turning radius and updated signals.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:49 AM

Quote:
What is the “dog leg” people keep referring to?
The entire Southwest RT line is built alongside the CN rail corridor, except for the little excursion that it makes west through the Parker lands and south along the hydro corridor. That excursion is the dogleg. (definition from google: "a thing that bends sharply, in particular a sharp bend in a road or route")

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Y posts down the median for an elevated platform like the Skytrain is definitely possible but it also is far from cheap.
a BRT going down a median on Portage avenue or Grant St does not need to be elevated. I've seen what Calgary has done on 17 Ave SE, and they simply widened the median. It can be done.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
a BRT going down a median on Portage avenue or Grant St does not need to be elevated. I've seen what Calgary has done on 17 Ave SE, and they simply widened the median. It can be done.
I mean as far as Grant Ave. is concerned, this is all a moot point anyway, seeing as the Master Plan designates the Grant Corridor for 'Priority Infrastructure' as opposed to 'Fully Separated Infrastructure', so the Grant Corridor is just going to be entirely compromised of diamond lanes anyway lol.

With Portage, though, it sounds as though widening the median for center-running 'Fully Separated Infrastructure' is the plan.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 12:49 AM

Widening the median on Portage means removing 2 lanes of traffic, at least. Drivers will have a conniption fit.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Widening the median on Portage means removing 2 lanes of traffic, at least. Drivers will have a conniption fit.
Portage already has bus lanes (aside from downtown), so isn't there no net loss of traffic lanes? Basically just shifting the bus lanes from the sides of the road to the middle.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Portage already has bus lanes (aside from downtown), so isn't there no net loss of traffic lanes? Basically just shifting the bus lanes from the sides of the road to the middle.
I guess drivers will still loose out on parking which won't be popular.

I'm also wondering how they plan to transition from running in the median to running on the north side of Portage. I think that's the plan anyways.
Small stain

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
I'm also wondering how they plan to transition from running in the median to running on the north side of Portage. I think that's the plan anyways.
Just need a traffic light somewhere. Here's an example from Toronto. The transit ROW switches from the median to the south side of the street. Basically the eastbound traffic just drives diagonally across the transit ROW. There's a light that is green for traffic by default, and only switches to red when a streetcar is approaching.

(There is a paved recreational trail that stays on the south side of the transit ROW.)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:02 AM

Fair point but it's not a permanent no car lane. People lost their shit over letting other people walk across the street. Nevermind taking away their lane.

I dont thinks theres enough space to get a proper platform type area in the current median. Maybe their is. Otherwise they need to eat in ti the existing sidewalks on either side to make things fit which might be alright at they clear out all the current bus stops.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:13 AM

The bus already does 80 kph down Grant.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
If the transit route down Portage or Grant isn't elevated then it is not better than what we currently have. The issue with the current system is all the crossing and lights and those don't go away with an at-grade solution regardless of where the lanes are. Having an elevated solution would mean transit is isolated from those issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan