HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
It's all nice and dandy to get brick, but it adds cost and I think we should be avoiding additional hindrances to development.
We put brick and tyndall stone on our reno to match the aesthetic of the warehouse district because we wanted to.

I know the City was planning to put in design and aesthetic requirements for the RRI to reflect the existing Warehouse District, but all those people are long gone, and the original project is dead for all intents and purposes.

The replacement staff didnt know the RRI is actually within the boundaries of the Warehouse District...

Maybe Jerry's parking lots and pickle ball courts will have brick and tyndall stone...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
We put brick and tyndall stone on our reno to match the aesthetic of the warehouse district because we wanted to.

I know the City was planning to put in design and aesthetic requirements for the RRI to reflect the existing Warehouse District, but all those people are long gone, and the original project is dead for all intents and purposes.

The replacement staff didnt know the RRI is actually within the boundaries of the Warehouse District...

Maybe Jerry's parking lots and pickle ball courts will have brick and tyndall stone...

You're referring to Rebellion, correct? If so I think that's awesome that you guys used the design elements that you did. And that was on an existing structure if I recall? With new builds, there will be no excuse not to do what Fiorante has done on the former Archdiocese lands. There needs to be design standards. If we end up with suburban style box garbage on the Yards lands it will be a profound waste of opportunity to improve the aesthetics and liveability of downtown and the Warehouse district. Is it too much to ask that we have decent options for those who would like to choose a more urban lifestyle? Speaking of that, my pipe dream is still to build rapid bus transit down a centre corridor of Arcola/Sask Drive with terminus adjacent to the bypass at Arcola and beside the Canada Post building with footbridge to the Yards. Off topic!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
You're referring to Rebellion, correct? If so I think that's awesome that you guys used the design elements that you did. And that was on an existing structure if I recall? With new builds, there will be no excuse not to do what Fiorante has done on the former Archdiocese lands. There needs to be design standards. If we end up with suburban style box garbage on the Yards lands it will be a profound waste of opportunity to improve the aesthetics and liveability of downtown and the Warehouse district. Is it too much to ask that we have decent options for those who would like to choose a more urban lifestyle? Speaking of that, my pipe dream is still to build rapid bus transit down a centre corridor of Arcola/Sask Drive with terminus adjacent to the bypass at Arcola and beside the Canada Post building with footbridge to the Yards. Off topic!
Completely disagree. Not only will this idea prevent development writ large, your views of architecture are outdated and stale.

To limit the styles to kitschy, old desings results in bad outcomes, not good.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:02 PM

[QUOTE=BrutallyDishonest2;9061154]Completely disagree. Not only will this idea prevent development writ large, your views of architecture are outdated and stale.

To limit the styles to kitschy, old desings results in bad outcomes, not good.[/QUOT

Give me a break, I'm not saying "use only red brick and that's it!" Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have design standards when attempting to develop important parcels of land in a cohesive manner, live every other city? You're ok to let the market dictate I assume then? You OK with a bunch of stucco marshmellows? How about we try and attract a Pet Smart for god's sake. There are ways to incorporate modern design elements while honouring the heritage of the warehouse district, but I guess you're too busy slinging insults as usual to think about that.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Give me a break, I'm not saying "use only red brick and that's it!" Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have design standards when attempting to develop important parcels of land in a cohesive manner, live every other city? You're ok to let the market dictate I assume then? You OK with a bunch of stucco marshmellows? How about we try and attract a Pet Smart for god's sake. There are ways to incorporate modern design elements while honouring the heritage of the warehouse district, but I guess you're too busy slinging insults as usual to think about that.
As usual you don't think about the actual results of your thoughts and actions.

The only restrictions should be enforced density. There should absolutely not be an architectural guidelines whatsoever as it only leads to boring styles that agree with your sentiments that architecture ended in 1920.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 4:36 AM
Hmm....

Quote:

The only restrictions should be enforced density. There should absolutely not be an architectural guidelines whatsoever as it only leads to boring styles that agree with your sentiments that architecture ended in 1920.
Definitely disagree. There can be a general style guideline that can allow for variation (and modernism) so as to not get stuck in a historical pastiche.

I would hope we would all agree that a development consisting of buildings inspired by the Renaissance Retirement Home should be avoided at all costs, i.e. the cheapest option, to which, sadly, Regina developers will likely flock. Maybe I'm selling them short, but history gives me little faith.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Definitely disagree. There can be a general style guideline that can allow for variation (and modernism) so as to not get stuck in a historical pastiche.

I would hope we would all agree that a development consisting of buildings inspired by the Renaissance Retirement Home should be avoided at all costs, i.e. the cheapest option, to which, sadly, Regina developers will likely flock. Maybe I'm selling them short, but history gives me little faith.
I also agree that there should be design standards for the Railyard redevelopment. A mix of glass, brick and metal would look amazing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:

"As usual"? I'm honoured to know that, not only do you pay close attention to all of my posts, you are also able to interpret non-existent content from my "sentiments". It's obvious that you don't even read people's contributions before you attempt to bait them with insults. Good job, man.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:07 PM

Would love an entrance from Cornwall Street into the Railyards south side of Dewdney like this (picture from Distillery District in Toronto. Mixture of brick (whether real or fake to cut costs) would continue the warehouse district and head into some taller condo towers.

Into this...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:38 PM

Remediation work to begin on former railyard lands as City of Regina eyes development
There are three locations where the soil must be excavated and backfilled with new, clean soil, a precursor to development of the area.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...es-development

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 1:58 PM

Regina Executive Committee approves hiring of consultant for Dewdney Corridor improvements
$14 million project

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/07/10/r...-improvements/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Regina Executive Committee approves hiring of consultant for Dewdney Corridor improvements
$14 million project

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/07/10/r...-improvements/
good to hear!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Remediation work to begin on former railyard lands as City of Regina eyes development
There are three locations where the soil must be excavated and backfilled with new, clean soil, a precursor to development of the area.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...es-development
Huge potential for this property, we have heard nothing about any sort of developments, which is not surprising

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Huge potential for this property, we have heard nothing about any sort of developments, which is not surprising
Outsider here, would some sort of development like the forks in Winnipeg work for this location? World class public space on an old railyard.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Outsider here, would some sort of development like the forks in Winnipeg work for this location? World class public space on an old railyard.
Ya, I'm curious if a "The Forks" idea would work there. I would love some details about this site.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotw_wpg View Post
Ya, I'm curious if a "The Forks" idea would work there. I would love some details about this site.
A lot of dirt has to be hauled out of there for remediation which is expensive. Rumour is developers are all waiting for the city to give the land away for peanuts.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 4:15 PM

Typical developer attitude. If the City remediates the land, it should be sold at market value.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 6:14 PM

There are a couple developments being worked on, albeit on a small scale, but progress is progress. 1 was approved by exec council and council a few months ago.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotw_wpg View Post
It would have to be a slow-growth plan rather than try and fill all that space immediately. The Forks in Winnipeg had the advantage of being right downtown, at a historically important spot on prime waterfront land. And that took about 20 years to become roughly what it is today, and they're now finally looking at filling the vast parking lots on the site.

This Regina development is slightly out of downtown and not near any park space or other significant natural amenity, so it's effectively competing for development with the existing area around it that is littered with surface parking and low density buildings.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
It would have to be a slow-growth plan rather than try and fill all that space immediately. The Forks in Winnipeg had the advantage of being right downtown, at a historically important spot on prime waterfront land. And that took about 20 years to become roughly what it is today, and they're now finally looking at filling the vast parking lots on the site.

This Regina development is slightly out of downtown and not near any park space or other significant natural amenity, so it's effectively competing for development with the existing area around it that is littered with surface parking and low density buildings.
Fair enough, I was unsure about the area this is taking place. I'm a lot more familiar with Saskatoon vs Regina.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan