HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Any idea what the company was sold for?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:02 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Any idea what the company was sold for?
Yes, but it's a private company and was a private sale. I can't say.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:52 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
Yes, but it's a private company and was a private sale. I can't say.
Didn't know that, no problem.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 4:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Omniglass finds new life after $15-M fire shuts it down
By: Martin Cash
Posted: 1:13 PM

A Winnipeg window and door frame manufacturer that suffered a devastating fire a year ago is being revived by local investors.
Omniglass closed its doors last year after a $15 million fire. The company has been acquired by a U.S. firm which decided not to try to get the business back up and running after the fire.
But Structural Composite Technologies, a Winnipeg composite parts manufacturer has acquired some of the equipment as well as the patents and processes of Omniglass and has resurrected it as Omniglass SCT.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...187161361.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 9:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
At the leading edge of bio-fibres
Local firm atop potentially vital production sector
By: Martin Cash
Posted: 01/24/2013 1:00 AM

For several years now, the Composites Innovation Centre has been tinkering with using locally grown agricultural fibres to make composites as a cheaper, more sustainable material that might replace fibreglass.
It's an undeniably great idea -- using commodities such as hemp or flax, mashed up and mixed with resin, baked and then shaped into door panels for buses or fenders for agricultural equipment or interior trim for automobiles.
The CIC has been working with local industry developing all sorts of experimental products using bio-fibres and results have been good.
But the whole concept is still at the pre-commercial stage. There's no real industry and whatever supply chain currently exists is a little on the haphazard side.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...188173061.html

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:35 AM

New Flyer lands big LA deal

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:38 AM

App develeopment in MB

too bad not more high tech like this is not going on
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...190337921.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:37 PM

Downtown LGBT venue closing its doors

I hope this is the appropriate thread to share this in. At any rate, a gay bar downtown called Gio's is closing down. Here's the link:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...190589761.html

I'm not gay and haven't been to Gio's in years, but I did go there a few times with friends several years ago when I first moved to Manitoba. I recall it being a tad smaller than similar clubs in some other centres, but it always seemed busy the nights I was there. The bar cites a "more accepting society" and "social networking" as contributing to the decline in its profit margin.

I have a couple questions that perhaps some fellas on this forum could help me out with (and I recall a discussion on SSP a while back that suggested 99% of contributors here were gay males anyways, ha!):

1) how many LGBT venues are left in this city? Don't tell me Gio's was the last one! I guess there are some bath houses, etc. that cater to some wide ranges of sexually oriented clientele, but I can't seem to think of any other actual "bars."

2) do y'all think you'll miss the place, or has this increased acceptance and prominence of social media really made such venues obsolete? I was always under the impression that every successful major city would have a handful of such establishments by default. I'm surprised Gio's wasn't popular enough to keep the doors open. Are such clubs in other centres gradually closing too? Do you think gay bars are an important part of your social and romantic life, or do you think nothing in your social scene / circles will change once the bar is gone? I guess I'm curious to learn what role such businesses still play in gay circles in 2013 in this country. I'm outta tha loop. Do you frequent or enjoy places like Gio's, did you ever in the past, and do you see these places as necessary to a healthy gay population? Perhaps you're gay but was never really into the bar scene in the first place.

Once again, I hope this is an OK thread to post this article in. I'm really curious about this development, because as our city grows I really expected an INCREASE in the number of LGBT venues. The Winnipeg Free Press article linked above suggests these bars may not hold the relevance within their community they once did. Any insights on this matter would be appreciated.

Is this a step backwards for our city, a step forwards, or something neutral that doesn't have the importance I'm lending to it?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 7:48 AM

payworks headquarters on pembina has a for lease sign on it saying it is relocating. anyone know where it's moving to? says the space is for 15,000 sqft. my guess would be kenaston where every other company has been moving to lately, but one can wish downtown......

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM

not huge, but more good news for New Flyer

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...190982131.html

NEW Flyer Industries is taking over a large contract with Seattle Metro Transit from another North American bus maker that has shut down its operations.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:22 PM

The free press article on New Flyer's L.A. Deal states that the buses will be completely made and assembled at their St. Cloud Minnesota plant. Is there still much benefit for Winnipeg?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
The free press article on New Flyer's L.A. Deal states that the buses will be completely made and assembled at their St. Cloud Minnesota plant. Is there still much benefit for Winnipeg?
Headquarters are in Winnipeg. So good news for New Flyer is good news for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 9:24 PM

Winpac expanding & adding jobs over coming year
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...191359321.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Great-West Lifeco to buy Irish Life from Irish government for $1.75 billion
By: The Canadian Press
Posted: 7:16 AM

WINNIPEG - Great-West Lifeco Inc. will acquire Irish Life Group for $1.75 billion through an agreement with the Government of Ireland, which acquired the company last summer after its former parent failed to pass financial stress tests.
Irish Life, formerly part of a larger group called Irish Life & Permanent, currently provides life insurance, pension management and investment management services to more than one million customers.
It manages assets worth the equivalent of $50 billion, or 37 billion euros, and employs about 2,000 people — almost all in Ireland.
The sale is part Ireland's efforts to reduce its deficit by 2015 to three per cent of gross domestic product. Ireland, one of several European Union members that has been struggling with the huge government deficits and shaky financial sectors, now hopes to reduce this year's deficit to below 7.5 per cent of GDP.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...191801551.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:48 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I hope this is the appropriate thread to share this in. At any rate, a gay bar downtown called Gio's is closing down. Here's the link:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...190589761.html

I'm not gay and haven't been to Gio's in years, but I did go there a few times with friends several years ago when I first moved to Manitoba. I recall it being a tad smaller than similar clubs in some other centres, but it always seemed busy the nights I was there. The bar cites a "more accepting society" and "social networking" as contributing to the decline in its profit margin.

I have a couple questions that perhaps some fellas on this forum could help me out with (and I recall a discussion on SSP a while back that suggested 99% of contributors here were gay males anyways, ha!):

1) how many LGBT venues are left in this city? Don't tell me Gio's was the last one! I guess there are some bath houses, etc. that cater to some wide ranges of sexually oriented clientele, but I can't seem to think of any other actual "bars."

2) do y'all think you'll miss the place, or has this increased acceptance and prominence of social media really made such venues obsolete? I was always under the impression that every successful major city would have a handful of such establishments by default. I'm surprised Gio's wasn't popular enough to keep the doors open. Are such clubs in other centres gradually closing too? Do you think gay bars are an important part of your social and romantic life, or do you think nothing in your social scene / circles will change once the bar is gone? I guess I'm curious to learn what role such businesses still play in gay circles in 2013 in this country. I'm outta tha loop. Do you frequent or enjoy places like Gio's, did you ever in the past, and do you see these places as necessary to a healthy gay population? Perhaps you're gay but was never really into the bar scene in the first place.

Once again, I hope this is an OK thread to post this article in. I'm really curious about this development, because as our city grows I really expected an INCREASE in the number of LGBT venues. The Winnipeg Free Press article linked above suggests these bars may not hold the relevance within their community they once did. Any insights on this matter would be appreciated.

Is this a step backwards for our city, a step forwards, or something neutral that doesn't have the importance I'm lending to it?
There are 2 gay bars, Fame and Club 200. Fame is always busy with gays and straights and is the one that drew in customers from Gio's I think. All three are also very close, about 1 block apart

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 11:33 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the info! Though it's kinda nice to have a few venues so close to each other, I guess it probably also dictates a fair bit of competition between the three. I'm a tad surprised there's no gay club in the Village area, but I suppose such a development could occur down the road as the neighbourhood gradually attracts more residential units. Thanks again for the information!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:53 PM

heard rumors of a convenient store opened up on waterfront dr? i drive on waterfront everyday, buti haven't seen anything

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 3:48 PM

Ok..don't Torch me for this link but thiers some good things happenin in Transcona .. It reminds me of the BlackNight and several other great Rock Bars turned into Dance Bars..I know change with the times..But I always liked the small, local bars bands type of establishment..playing in bands since I was a wee tot...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...199733541.html

PS Is thier a Winnipeg Entertainment link? Just wonderin....Need a active and detailed search function here..I'm new..lol

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:39 PM

My apologies if this has been posted already. It's a week old but I didn't see it here

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle9871232/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 8:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I heard today that Princess Auto has been purchased by Canadian Tire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan