HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 8:20 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=L.u.v.]Sorry. I was under the (arrogant) mistaken impression that people on these forums were already familiar with Tulsa. Thanks for the welcome though.[/Q

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind
October 20, 2006
^ Looks like the caisson work is done.
Can someone a little more familiar with high-rise construction help me out? I am confused how they can get the caissons done so fast on this project or 300 N. LaSalle, but they took forever on Waterview. Obviously Waterview is a much larger building, on a much smaller lot, but the difference seems really noteworthy.

Also, I don't think there are any old caissons here to reuse, so that can't be it either.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
Can someone a little more familiar with high-rise construction help me out? I am confused how they can get the caissons done so fast on this project or 300 N. LaSalle, but they took forever on Waterview. Obviously Waterview is a much larger building, on a much smaller lot, but the difference seems really noteworthy.

Also, I don't think there are any old caissons here to reuse, so that can't be it either.
Well yes, the site for Waterview was much smaller, and they could only fit 1 caisson crane and 1 servoce crane on the site, and remember that about half of the caissons went down to bedrock. For the Elysian, the caissons only went down to clay and they could for more than one drilling crane on site.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 5:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great to see this one moving. Is there anything planned for the surface lot across the street (visible at the top of SolarWind's first pic)?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:00 PM
Chaos Machine

Wasnt some sort of twin tower deal planned there? The Scottish Rite development.

Last edited by Pandemonious; Oct 21, 2006 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 11:46 PM

Yes it is the Scottish Rite development, but I think one of the tower has been NIMBYed.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
No I doubt it will actually be copper, people are too cheep these days, but it appears to be some sort of aged copper looking substance in several of the drawings. Those are just renderings of course and you can't draw conclusions like that from renderings, does anybody have any solid info on materials for this thing? Sorry if what I said was misleading before...

I sure hope so.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Charlie Trotter to Create Restaurants for Elysian Hotel and Private Residences
Wednesday November 29, 12:44 pm ET

CHICAGO, Nov. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Five-star chef Charlie Trotter will bring his superlative-culinary experience to the Elysian Hotel and Private Residences, flagship of a new ultra-luxury brand, under construction at 11 East Walton Street and scheduled to open in 2008. The venture marks Trotter's first collaboration in the U.S. and the latest success for the Gold Coast development.

"We talked with some of the nation's foremost chefs about creating a restaurant truly attuned to the quality and character of the Elysian. In Charlie, we found the ideal partner, whose standards of excellence equal our own," said David Pisor, founding partner and chief executive officer of the property's developer, Elysian Worldwide. "Widely regarded as one of America's finest chefs, Charlie is an icon and true innovator in the worlds of food and service. We couldn't be more thrilled about our association with him."

Responsible for all food and beverage operations at the Elysian, Trotter will create an exclusive restaurant open for dinner only -- his first new fine dining restaurant in Chicago since 1987 -- featuring the inspired and consistently flawless cuisine that is his trademark. Additionally, he will operate a second dining room, open all day, and oversee cuisine for in-suite dining, banquets and catering.

"Over the past two decades, I have had countless offers to partner with hoteliers all across America, but this is the first time I have felt a real meeting of minds," Trotter added. "David is a true visionary, and I look forward to working with him and his team to deliver a guest experience unlike any other."

Since opening in 1987, Charlie Trotter's eponymous restaurant in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood has won international recognition including induction into the esteemed Relais & Chateaux and membership in Traditions & Qualite. One of only two Chicago restaurants to receive five stars from the Mobil Travel Guide, Charlie Trotter's has won ten James Beard Foundation awards and accolades as America's Best Restaurant from Wine Spectator magazine. In 2004 Trotter opened "C," a fine-dining seafood restaurant at the newly renovated One&Only Palmilla resort in Los Cabos, Mexico. Trotter also oversees all private dining at One&Only Palmilla, and operates their poolside casual restaurant, "Breeze."

Chef Trotter joins an all-star team behind the Elysian's success. International real estate developer Golub & Company is the project manager, and its principals are investors in the project. Lucien Lagrange, synonymous with the city's premier luxury residential towers and another local icon, designed the core and shell of the 60-story tower. Chicago-based Simeone Deary Design Group created the interiors for all public spaces and the 188 hotel suites. Above the hotel, 51 expansive, private residences from 3,400 to 12,000 square feet, provide stunning views of the city and the lake. Two years before the Elysian's scheduled completion, sales have reached 70 percent.

Visits to the Elysian's sales salon, 605 N. Michigan Ave., are by appointment. For more information, phone 312-664-9500 or visit

http://www.elysianhotels.com .

Elysian Worldwide is a Chicago-based real estate development firm founded in 2003 to develop ultra-luxury landmark hotels and residential properties in gateway cities and destination resorts throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. The firm's leadership includes David Pisor, general partner and CEO, as well as principals Mary Beth Malone, Jeffrey Pavlik and Mario Tricoci.

Chicago Chef Charlie Trotter to open new restaurant

By ASHLEY M. HEHER
AP Business Writer
Published November 29, 2006, 11:55 AM CST

CHICAGO -- Charlie Trotter, an iconic chef whose name is synonymous with Chicago's gourmet cuisine, wants to dish out a second helping of his five-star meals.

Trotter, a Chicago native whose self-titled restaurant draws gourmands and members of the expense-account set, announced Wednesday he plans to open a second Chicago eatery in a new 60-story luxury hotel and condominium project.

"We're excited to deliver not just a stamped-out, high-end experience, but something that is really personal and something that has a genuineness about it," Trotter said in an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press. "I can't wait."

Trotter, the author of a dozen books and host a PBS cooking show, has been a fixture in Chicago's culinary world for nearly two decades. While his dishes are known for their use of vegetables, Asian influences and French techniques, Trotter is infamous for his food-as-art presentation and serious philosophy on cuisine. (An introduction to one book quotes Goethe and Dostoyevsky.)

He's also a reputed perfectionist with a demanding kitchen presence. The New York Times once described Trotter as "a tyrant" and Chicago Magazine listed him as the second-meanest person in the city.

The as-yet-unnamed restaurant -- a fine-dining, dinner-only venue that will have a more casual dining area for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- is scheduled to open in October 2008 at The Elysian Hotel on the Gold Coast.

The chef's new restaurant marks Trotter's first Chicago dining expansion since he launched his signature restaurant in 1987.

Trotter opened a gourmet takeout shop in Chicago's Lincoln Park in 2000 and a seafood-focused restaurant in Los Cabos, Mexico in 2004. Trotter and a real estate developer scrapped plans to start a restaurant in the New York City's Time Warner Center last year after the budget grew to nearly $12 million.

"Charlie's a lot more than a chef," said David Pisor, CEO of Elysian Worldwide. "He understands the experience of dining and how to make it more than just food."

Bespectacled, boyish and immaculately dressed, the 47-year-old hunches forward when he speaks about his latest venture. The menu has yet to be announced, but Trotter said it will draw "ideology" from his current restaurant.

"I'm elated with the idea of taking on a challenge to do something here in my own back yard, but do it differently and do it in a way where it really is new and it's exciting, but it still borrows the great elements of what all great experiences," he said.

Trotter also will be responsible for room service and banquet fare at the $260 million Gold Coast hotel.

"There have been no shortage of opportunities around America and around the world, and in my own back yard, but this is the one," Trotter said. "I've seen my colleagues over the years take on too many things. And that's fine, but you want to make sure that you have the energy and the wherewithal to do anything you do the absolute right way and that's why we feel so strongly about this."

The Elysian will have 188 rooms and 51 condominiums with units listing from $480,000 to $6 million.

------

On the Net:

www.charlietrotters.com

www.elysianhotels.com

Last edited by bnk; Nov 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:37 PM

^^^^^
That's quite impressive. You could not have asked for a better chef to headline a new hotel's signiature restaurant. It looks like The Elysian is truly aspiring to 5-star greatness. Of course, this announcement cannot possibly hurt condo sales.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
THAT Guy

A good boost for this project no doubt.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:42 PM

I was friends with Dave Pisor about 10 years ago when he bought his first three-flat and was sales director for a converted wharehouse in Bucktown. He has really come a long way. Good for him. The addition of Trotter has brought even more credibility to an already awesome project.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:39 PM

I hope Chef's success here is better than that at the Time Warner center in NYC.

This is certainly an impressive-looking project which deserves a great foodservice infrastructure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:01 PM
Registered

^ What went wrong there? Not hands-on enough?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
^ What went wrong there? Not hands-on enough?
I'm not sure, but there are some awfully big names in that building who aren't there full time either.

Trotter's venue at MGM Grand in Las Vegas failed too, but at least that one actually opened. The official reason was that hotel management didn't want gamblers spending so much time on a long dinner. I'm not sure I buy that argument, as recent big names have proven in that town.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about his Elysian gig.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:31 AM

Photos from 12/15...

Rebar mat assembeled and to be placed within the slurry wall.

Slurry wall along State Street.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 3:53 PM

So they haven't started excavating yet....and they've probably got about 50-60 ft down to go. Guess it won't be rising out of the ground for a while. Is the slurry wall because of the subway line next door?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
So they haven't started excavating yet....and they've probably got about 50-60 ft down to go. Guess it won't be rising out of the ground for a while. Is the slurry wall because of the subway line next door?
Who said that? I don't think either of those pictures show inside the slurry wall, I would imagine if they are working on assembling the foundation mat, that they would at least be close to putting it in the bottom of the hole...

Then again I haven't been out to that site in a while so I wouldn't know for sure. What's going on there Shawn? Is there a hole that you don't have a pic of or are they just assembling the mat wayyyy ahead of time?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Who said that? I don't think either of those pictures show inside the slurry wall, I would imagine if they are working on assembling the foundation mat, that they would at least be close to putting it in the bottom of the hole...

Then again I haven't been out to that site in a while so I wouldn't know for sure. What's going on there Shawn? Is there a hole that you don't have a pic of or are they just assembling the mat wayyyy ahead of time?

The last picture is of the top of the slurry wall. The reason for the slurry wall, is because this project has underground parking, just like Park View. The slurry wall is only for the western half of the property, it will be under the courtway.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post

Somewhere I thought I remember this thing having 4 underground levels, which suggests they're excavating at least 50 feet down before pouring the mat. I guess they only recently finished drilling caissons?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Yeah I know this thing will have Underground levels and all, but why are they assembling that mat already if they haven't dug the hole yet? I guess that's really what I am asking...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture