HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 6:12 AM

Tesla not messing around!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

Tesla is building a lithium hydroxide refinery adjacent to the Terafactory/Gigafactory 5 with a start date of Q4 2022. Tesla is the first automotive manufacturer to enter lithium production, and it will be done right here in Austin.

https://www.benchmarkminerals.com/me...d-spodumene-2/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:22 PM

Woooow! That’s incredible!

I’m still amazed that there’s no rail connection there — the amount of freight coming and out of that complex is going to be pretty substantial.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Woooow! That’s incredible!

I’m still amazed that there’s no rail connection there — the amount of freight coming and out of that complex is going to be pretty substantial.
I wouldn't say rail is out. Remember 130 was built as part of the Trans Texas Corridor-35 system and that was part of the NAFTA Highway system and NAFTA Rail. It wasn't built out like at that time it was touted as having expressway lanes, frontage, right of way for communication lines (high speed internet) passenger rail and freight rail. I guess the state (or someone) still has the right of way and it'll be expensive but do-able to lay tracks to Manor.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
I wouldn't say rail is out. Remember 130 was built as part of the Trans Texas Corridor-35 system and that was part of the NAFTA Highway system and NAFTA Rail. It wasn't built out like at that time it was touted as having expressway lanes, frontage, right of way for communication lines (high speed internet) passenger rail and freight rail. I guess the state (or someone) still has the right of way and it'll be expensive but do-able to lay tracks to Manor.

The corridor is part of a Txdot study for high speed rail from Oklahoma to Monterrey Mexico however I don't know if the line would be suitable for freight rail.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post

SH-130 was already in design when the Trans Texas Corridor concept was announced. There was a report commissioned to determine if the proposed alignment was suitable for rail. The conclusion was that the horizontal curvatures were compatible with rail, but the vertical curves (hills and valleys) were too steep for freight rail. It probably would have been OK for lighter passenger rail. I don't remember where the challenging locations were, but the area between Decker Lake and Whisper Valley is fairly hilly. That could be overcome by building up embankments and bridges and trenching higher points, but that would be expensive. The SH-130 ROW is also not nearly as wide as the TTC envisioned, but there is probably sufficient width for a rail line, as long as they don't use it all up with the current widening plans.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 9:05 PM

Tesla has apparently been using copyright infringement to get the City to remove public access to info added to their permit filings. That would explain why all the attachments with drawings disappeared. But we have some info from new FAA filings. There are four permits for 300' cranes and nine for 120' building(s) with Thermal Oxidizer Stacks (industrial air cleaners).

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Tesla is building a lithium hydroxide refinery adjacent to the Terafactory/Gigafactory 5 with a start date of Q4 2022. Tesla is the first automotive manufacturer to enter lithium production, and it will be done right here in Austin.

Is there an environmental impact of this?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:54 PM

Makes me wonder if he’s going to buy any open properties around the CotA track, given the rezoning in that area.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Is there an environmental impact of this?
surely, the nasty refinement will be done further upstream than this facility

I am all for exploring EVs but the nastiness of the rare minerals industry is really really swept under the rug.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:59 PM

how tesla builds fast

here's a cool video on how tesla builds its factories. mentions austin.

https://youtu.be/ijXqKtxvm48

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post

I wonder how many jobs this will bring.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
i wonder how many jobs this will bring.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:00 AM

Tesla (TSLA) takes first step to produce 4680 battery cell in Texas

Quote:
Now we learn that Tesla has filed an air-quality permit application with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in which the automaker included a provision for a “cell-manufacturing” facility (via Austin Business Journal):

The facility is proposing to operate a cell-manufacturing unit to produce the battery packs that are installed in the vehicle.

This is the first step for Tesla to be able to deploy battery manufacturing capacity at the new factory.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...ell-texas/amp/

Tesla is looking to move to steer-by-wire with new motor and geartrain team in Austin

Quote:
Now, Electrek found out that Tesla is building a new team to design motors, geartrains, and chassis in Texas.

The automaker wrote in a new position for a Mechanical Design Engineer for Motors in Austin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...am-austin/amp/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:25 PM

The ABJ has an update:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-economy.html

Quote:
Ed Latson, executive director of the Austin Regional Manufacturers Association, said during the discussion that closer to 15,000 jobs could be created at the gigafactory because of the scope of the carmaker's planned operations.
Quote:
To prepare people for these jobs, panelists highlighted the workforce development efforts of Austin Community College, which is creating a campus near the Tesla facility. The college offers an eight-week course in manufacturing production and is prepping a manufacturing incubator to fuel job growth.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 6:32 PM

So, we’re

Manufacturing Model Y and Gigatruck
Manufacturing batteries
Doing videogame production
And mechanical R&D

Am I missing anything else that’s been reported?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 7:54 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
So, we’re

Manufacturing Model Y and Gigatruck
Manufacturing batteries
Doing videogame production
And mechanical R&D

Am I missing anything else that’s been reported?
Model 3 for the eastern half of North America. And manufacturing the Semi as well.

Model 3
Model Y
Cybertruck
Semi truck (these are the electric 18 wheelers)

Video games
Drivetrain and powertrain train technologies, software and hardware

Lithium ion batteries

I think eventually they’ll also do solar there. SolarCity is a Tesla subsidiary and they just keep buying more and more land. Oh and IMO eventually the HQ too.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Here's where I start to get concerned. What kind of pollution will this " refinery " cause?? Refineries are ugly nasty sorts of things that I've been thankful Austin has been spared from having in the area. It's not the type of thing I would ever want to see here and now we will have one just east of the airport. Try looking up pictures of lithium ion refineries to see what we will be getting.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Here's where I start to get concerned. What kind of pollution will this " refinery " cause?? Refineries are ugly nasty sorts of things that I've been thankful Austin has been spared from having in the area. It's not the type of thing I would ever want to see here and now we will have one just east of the airport. Try looking up pictures of lithium ion refineries to see what we will be getting.
There will be no refineries.

Look at pictures of Tesla Gigafactory Nevada, Tesla's lithium ion battery production facility in Nevada and you'll see that Tesla doesn't do the whole refinery thing. Factories? Yes. Refineries, nah.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 11:24 PM

Tesla's Terafactory in Texas (Austin) will probably be a combination of what it does in its factory in California (manufacture cars), what it does in its factory in Nevada (manufactures lithium ion batteries), and what it does in its factory in New York (solar panels and sustainable energy).

Plus some uniquely Austin things like VG development, powertrain and drivetrain software and hardware, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin