HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:06 AM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I really like Austin1971's idea about having the new entertainment district on top of the I35 cut & cap. Would be tons of space and connect to 6th Street.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's the elevation from the ABJ article. It'll have a presence similar to the Fairmont as one drives through downtown on I-35.

Bulldozing established entertainment venues for a bloated oversized g**d*** parking podium is the real estate equivalent of clubbing a baby seal.

Why can't they keep this on the East Street side of the alley and build taller?
NYC has plenty of those toothpick skyscrapers. Why not here?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Bulldozing established entertainment venues for a bloated oversized g**d*** parking podium is the real estate equivalent of clubbing a baby seal.

Why can't they keep this on the East Street side of the alley and build taller?
NYC has plenty of those toothpick skyscrapers. Why not here?
You seem extraordinarily negative and keep making the same points over and over.

NIMBY forums are that way ------------>

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:23 AM
Everywhere all at once

Anyone else notice at the bottom of the elevation on the left (Rainey-facing) side, that there is a double-height-ish space with what looks like food trailers or something? This could be a similar approach to what is being taken up the street at that project that's supposed to take out Container Bar and elevate Bunglaow probably? If so, it might actually create a really unique, interesting and fascinating strip. Let's keep an open mind maybe? The stair-step effect down toward the lake is definitely a trend I support.

Either way, what is happening in Austin right now is truly something next-level, the kind of thing I wasn't sure I would witness in my lifetime - a true boomtown that splashed, physically and symbolically, into existence in such a short time. It makes me excited for whatever US cities are next for elevation to the national (and world) stage in such a manner.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Anyone else notice at the bottom of the elevation on the left (Rainey-facing) side, that there is a double-height-ish space with what looks like food trailers or something? This could be a similar approach to what is being taken up the street at that project that's supposed to take out Container Bar and elevate Bunglaow probably? If so, it might actually create a really unique, interesting and fascinating strip. Let's keep an open mind maybe? the stair-step effect down toward the lake is definitely a trend I support.
The Rainey St. side could be interesting, and they are emphasizing "Market" in the name of the project as opposed to "Whatever Trendy Name Condo Tower".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:39 AM
Meh

I like the stairstepped design, and yeah, I right away was reminded of Northshore, which has turned out to be one of my more favorite buildings we've seen.

It's funny, but when I was making my Google Earth model the other day and doing the screen shots, I was thinking about how the site would be good for a tower with setbacks. I wasn't crazy about the slabbiness of it. We already have the Fairmont over there, and there's also the Block 16 Tower, all three of which have/would have wide east/west facades.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:41 AM
Meh

Here's the full sized elevation that I grabbed from the Business Journal article.

There are definitely a couple of food trucks parked in what looks like some kind of bay at street level. One of the trucks looks like it's backed into the bay.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:32 AM
Voice of the Modern World

I like this buildings thickness, it'll beef up the skyline from a freeway view. Which is most out of town people's first impression of Austin's skyline. Good design for a good spot. Now if this thing is furnished with similar exterior architecture as the Hotel ZaZa then we're really in business.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:15 PM

Looks like a glass tower with some green walls and decks over a brick podium.

Wonder what the hat on top is doing?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
I like this buildings thickness, it'll beef up the skyline from a freeway view. Which is most out of town people's first impression of Austin's skyline. Good design for a good spot. Now if this thing is furnished with similar exterior architecture as the Hotel ZaZa then we're really in business.
Knowing L|F I bet there will be a lot of brick in this building. Looks like it more glassy towards the top though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
You seem extraordinarily negative and keep making the same points over and over.

NIMBY forums are that way ------------>
Only negative when it comes to unnecessary destruction of entertainment when the city still has countless empty surface lots to build upon. Once those are full, then the conversations about what should stay vs what can be let go in the name of progress can start. But that's unfortunately a fantasy world. Judging by your comments overall, I'm guessing you've long since aged out of being someone who'd frequent Rainey or one of the other districits, and therefore have no real affinity for what's about to be lost. I am obviously on the other end of that spectrum.

A NIMBY would be against the entire thing, citing the usual tired drivel of traffic, population increase, etc, and pining for the 'Austin of 1978'.
I merely suggested that this building stick to its own block just like the others at 44 and 48 East, instead of spilling over across the alleyway (which I'm stunned that's actually even allowed).

With all of that said... I'm still holding out hope that this somehow will end up being a well done project on the Rainey side, and I'll let the dead horse rest in peace.

I'll wait for the final renderings.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:54 PM
Meh

With this tower being a 500 footer, plus the others in the pipeline, that'll give Austin 20 buildings that are 500 feet or taller. That will actually tie us with Dallas for the number of buildings 500 feet and up.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
With this tower being a 500 footer, plus the others in the pipeline, that'll give Austin 20 buildings that are 500 feet or taller. That will actually tie us with Dallas for the number of buildings 500 feet and up.
WOW.... absolutely amazing

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
This makes me wonder, is downtown Austin's footprint smaller than other downtowns in Texas (houston, dallas, SA)? Or at least what can be built tall? seems like our proposed towers keep getting taller as space continues to dwindle.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:48 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
WOW.... absolutely amazing
What's more amazing is when you realize that 20th 500 footer on that list is none other than the Frost Bank Tower. I never would have guessed in 2004 that the Frost Bank Tower would be passed up 19 times in less than 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
What's more amazing is when you realize that 20th 500 footer on that list is none other than the Frost Bank Tower. I never would have guessed in 2004 that the Frost Bank Tower would be passed up 19 times in less than 20 years.
talk about exceeding expectations.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
talk about exceeding expectations.
Agree with that. Are those murals or greenery on the elevation pic? Either way it’d be pretty nice cover.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:03 PM

I’m a long-time lurker, never really post bc I very rarely have development news. Just wanted to say it’s pretty crazy how just 5ish years ago the plateau for most of our new buildings was in the 300 foot range, but now they’re in the 500’s. It’s been very cool to see Austin’s skyline transform into what it is today!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:51 AM

Relax. (Especially since we don't know all of the details just yet.) Rainey Street will be just fine:
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ize-space.html

Plus, as noted above, it looks like they may be incorporating a food truck lot or something into the base.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin