HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 2:02 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Good points. It just isn't a focal point of my life, so I honestly don't get the point (there is no sarcasm here).

Referring to the bare skin comment - there was a nude bike ride in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. This was a mixed event. I wouldn't want to see that either.

PS: I have a very strong faith in God. I don't say this simply as words but it is a feeling so strong that I feel for a fact that there is a God. Unfortunately many people in the Gay community like to mock people who believe in God.
As do many people who are heterosexual, and in my experience, in similar proportions.

That is not to say at all that I condone people being "mocked" for their personal choices. Quite the contrary. That is in fact the exact point I want to make here though.

You have chosen to have faith in God. There have been times in the past where people have been not just mocked but in fact persecuted for their beliefs, and action was taken to re-assert those peoples rights.

I do not in any way "equate" someone being gay with being religious. However, I would make the statement that how an individual chooses to live their life, no matter what that entails, is a personal matter.

For those who are gay, there have been times in the past where they have been not just mocked but in fact persecuted for their beliefs, and actions such as re-asserting a persons "pride" in themselves were taken.

You have every right to your beliefs, every right to believe them without being mocked, and every right to also choose to not want to see a pride parade. However, such a parade has every right to exist, and no matter what the "spectacle" of it is sometimes, it fundamentally (as I understand it as a hetero) is simply about proclaiming in public that it is ok to be gay and one doesn't need to be ashamed.

Personally, I hope the day comes when we don't need such parades, not because I am against them, but because what I have a strong belief in is people's right to live their lives without judgement from others. I care far more that someone is a good person, and could care less what their own personal life choices are other than that.

The fact remains however that until the gay community stops hearing from people that what they are is wrong, a violation of the bible etc etc, there will continue to be a need for it.

The issue of "skin" is a secondary issue. As was noted above, that isn't what the parade (in particular the one in Halifax) is fundamentally about anyway. I actually would prefer to not see naked people walking up the street either (gay or straight), and I do agree that sometimes there are those in the gay community that go to far in shoving their lifestyle in peoples faces... parade all you want, dress like Dorothy and push boundaries all you want (LOL), and be proud of who you are all you want, but there is a line that maybe shouldn't necessarily be crossed in a public venue. However I also think that there are some in the religious community who go too far in other ways, and shove their beliefs in other people's faces when it is unwanted.

The long and the short is that, I believe that people have the right to their own choices, and the right to celebrate their own choices.

Last edited by beyeas; Jul 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:16 PM

Well I just want to say that it wasn't my intention to start a debate on religion and sexuality. I just wanted to point out that the pride parade keeps growing and is in stepping distance of overtaking Natal day - but that both parades add to the vitality of downtown, making it a better place to live and play (and great for business).

The thing I forgot to consider as part of downtown is the busker festival. I remember when it was so big along SGR that they would close down some of the side streets for performances. I don't think you could pull off a busker parade; but that's a great festival.

Does anyone know how well Jazz fest usually does? Calgary's was cancelled; but the folk fest this past weekend was awesome.

What other festivals are there in Halifax? I know I'm missing many.

Btw - heard from a friend of mine that works at a dt restaurant. At the height of the pride parade; the wait for tables was 1 hour and their restaurant did more business that day; then they did busiest week. They are on par for a fantastic summer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 7:15 PM

This isn't really a festival per sae, nor is it in downtown but this is an interesting thing going on at Point Pleasant Park. Wish I was home to experience this as it sounds interesting!

Click here

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 9:38 PM
Honored Member

I think that more parades and festivals would be a good idea. I notice that I digressed to a different topic in my previous post a year ago.

If a stadium is built at Shannon Park, it might be a good location to watch the Natal Day fireworks display.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:28 PM

A few other additions:
- Jazz Fest had a parade along Spring Garden Road for several years but I don't think it happened this year. The last time I attended it, maybe 4 years ago, it was great and literally had people dancing in the streets.
-There was an amazing pow wow on the Commons in early July that attracted people of all stripes with music, food, dancing, etc.
- There are always heaps of events around Canada Day.
- The Open Streets Festival happens near the Commons each year in June at the end of bike week. It's organized by HRM and features entertainment, games, etc. This year it took place the same day as the Criterium road race around the Commons.
-Nocturne is a one-day art festival in October in public spaces across Halifax. I've never attended but I've heard from many people that it's a great time.
-When I was a kid Argyle Street used to shut down now and then for different things, including Buskers and a Mardi Gras party on Halloween. It's a great scale and atmosphere for night-time events but I understand security may be a concern.
I agree that festivals and parades are a great way to bring people together in public spaces and to promote the city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:57 AM

Nocturne is amazing.

They shut down Argyle for some Buskers this year too.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:43 PM

One of the festivals that I really enjoy out here (which alas I'm going to miss part of this weekend) is the Global Fest festival. Each night there is a fireworks display from a different group with the winner at the end of the festival putting on a finale show.

Vancouver has a similar fireworks festival. I'm sure that would be a stunning weekend event - start on a Friday with shows Friday night, Saturday night and the finale on Sunday night during the summer. What a great excuse to come downtown and see the fireworks!

I'm sure if you got a bunch of big corporate sponsors in, the festival could grow. Buskers was always a great festival for the city but to be honest, I don't remember much about Nocturne.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:31 PM
You talkin' to me?

I'd have to say Nocturne is easily my favorite festival that happens in Halifax, followed by the Busker fest.
My avatar picture is actually of a building during Nocturne in which they put video of moving eyeballs in all the windows. Cool yet kinda freaky at the same time lol.

I really have a soft spot for the arts .

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:55 PM

I don't think I made it to Nocturne before I moved...when is it usually?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:38 PM
Urban Thinker

It takes place on an October night. Last year, I believe it was Saturday the 16th from 6pm 'til midnight. It truly is a great night. The city feels so alive and vibrant and creative.

I'm with Wishblade. I love the arts. And I love that Halifax is such an artistic city. The creative talent that is produced here is incredible.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 1:28 PM
Fizzix geek

Man downtown was hopping on Saturday night.

Warmish fall night that was perfect for Nocturne, and there seemed to be thousands of people walking the streets enjoying the vibe.

Add in the Mooseheads game (their 5th win in a row I think) and a fundraiser event at the Cunard Centre, and the downtown was certainly a fun place to be this weekend. It was great to see so many people taking it all in.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:17 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
It was great to see so many people taking it all in.
Amazing. Drove back from Moncton that night after a business dinner to make it for the last bit, met up with my wife and daughter at the ferry and took in a fair amount of stuff.

Happy wash. Enough said.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:22 PM
opinionated so and so

Halifax Pop Explosion - one of Canada's most important new music festivals (read that as festivals of new music, not new, it is 19 years old). Calgary's Sled Island and Montreal Pop are modelled (in large part) on it. Often imitated, never matched.

This years festival, which will entertain about 19K people, can be accessed here: http://halifaxpopexplosion.com/

Or you can come to the Citadel Inn and meet me, I am Chair of the Board and the Opening Reception is 6-8pm. I'll be fashionably late because of a work commitment.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:56 PM

Someone on this forum commented recently that Granville Mall was dead at night...did nocturne do anything there? Might be a worthwhile site.

I'm wondering what kind of festival or activities could be something worth while for Granville Mall. It's a shame it's so under used.

I could see Christmas concerts in the winter perhaps? Or maybe set up a large digital screen near the end where the pedway is, with some seating for winter or summer movies? Movie's on the mall?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:15 PM
Urban Thinker

Granville Mall was definitely hopping on Saturday. There were a few exhibits at NSCAD (Anna Leonowens Galllery, Dawson Printshop, etc.) so there was a pretty constant stream of people coming and going.

On a related note, I hear that Nocturne attracted over 20 000 people this year. It truly is one of the most exciting things in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:34 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Pumpkin Crazy Pumpkin Festival at Seaport

Here are a few I took the other night while the Jack-O-Lanterns were on display in the windows at Seaport Farm Market. They are behind glass and I had some issues with glare.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:44 PM

Awesome pumpkins - all these festivals got me thinking winter activities. I would still like the parks department to pave the paths at the public gardens or find a way to do some sort of Christmas themed event there, along the same line as zoo lights in Calgary.

The park would be open from December into say first week of January, with thousands of lights all over the park. You could barrier off areas you wouldn't want people in and just restrict it to a portion if need be. Find a sponsor or two and just put millions of lights up and sponsors help pay for the staff time, the power bill and the cost of hot chocolate. Also get some choirs or singers to do carols at the bandstand and have santa up until Christmas time. If the paths are paved, they could then be easier to keep clear of ice/snow (especially since the last few winters there hasn't been that much snow in December anyway).

Plus you could charge a little bit of money and perhaps a portion could go towards Christmas Daddy's or something.

I also seem to recall that Parks Canada did a 'Victorian' Christmas at Citadell Hill. Do they still do that?

Also Fenwick's comment about a stadium at shannon park - might be a good opportunity to have some sort of team/fan appreciation event at the stadium or a near by park (regardless of the location)?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:06 PM
You talkin' to me?

I just read that Tall Ships will be back here next year, so theres another economic boost via tourist numbers. Apparently in 2009 it attracted nearly 100,000 tourists. It will take place from July 19-23 in Halifax and July 24-30 in other various N.S ports. This is a festival I really love and I'm really glad to see it back .

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I just read that Tall Ships will be back here next year, so theres another economic boost via tourist numbers. Apparently in 2009 it attracted nearly 100,000 tourists. It will take place from July 19-23 in Halifax and July 24-30 in other various N.S ports. This is a festival I really love and I'm really glad to see it back .
I've already got my vacation planned.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:39 PM
opinionated so and so

Last time they had literally a blank cheque. This makes me unhappy. Tall ships are great, but accountability is important. I hope they have a better plan than "whatever it takes."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment