HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
What would you prefer to see on the waterfront? What would you prefer the waterfront to be like?
More authenticity, less Disney-like fakery.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
More authenticity, less Disney-like fakery.
When the Buskers or the Bill Lynch fair comes to town, it feels like authentic Halifax to me.

What uses are being replaced by these events or ones like this?

Most industrial facilities have vacated the peninsula with the advent of industrial parks, if that's the narrow view of authentic that your referring to. Other than the container terminal and associated places like the Grain Elevator or Dover Mills there is little of the maritime industrial past left to preserve.
After the industrial uses left, the commercial concept came in and saved what was a hollowed out part of the city until recently.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Most industrial facilities have vacated the peninsula with the advent of industrial parks, if that's the narrow view of authentic that your referring to. Other than the container terminal and associated places like the Grain Elevator or Dover Mills there is little of the maritime industrial past left to preserve.
After the industrial uses left, the commercial concept came in and saved what was a hollowed out part of the city until recently.
Halifax has lots of totally authentic working waterfront. Mostly areas the public is not allowed to visit like the dockyards.

The downtown section is one of the nicer waterfronts I've seen and it feels pretty authentic to me. It has a lot of offices and residences, and while there are some tourist traps there are many shops and restaurants that are frequented by locals as well. Some of it is specialty retail and only a portion of them will appeal to any particular consumer.

I don't get the impression that Queen's Marque is a tourism development along the lines of what you'd see at Niagara Falls or in a Disney theme park. It's mostly residences and office space. The art gallery designs haven't been chosen yet but I would expect that to continue to be an attraction for locals.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment