HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:01 PM

EXPO 2020 Aurora: Nuovo Masterplans/Community Project

EXPO 2020 Aurora: Nuovo Masterplans/Community Project
Sustainable Living for a Sustainable Future

ABOUT THE EXPO

Welcome to the EXPO 2020 Aurora City Thread, a fictional World Expo set in my future city of Aurora ( Under Planning Stage ), mostly inspired by the recently concluded Shanghai 2010 World Expo. EXPO 2020 Aurora's central theme is sustainable living for a sustainable future, a call for nations and their people to shift into healthier and more sustainable lifestyles so as to benefit both themselves and the planet. The logo is a graphical representation of this theme with nature's colors comprising its color palette and the side profile of a leaf representing sustainable living.

The EXPO Aurora also functions as a testing ground in planning my city, and thus, I would be designing the majority of the structures and deciding most of the planning in it, like roads, landscaping and etc. To give you all a better perspective of what I have done so far, here's a site map of the EXPO grounds.

As you can see, this won't be a large EXPO like the real-life Shanghai counterpart. It only has space for 30 pavilions and some other structures. You'll also notice how there's quite lush landscaping for I want this to be a really 'green' expo. The small EXPO size can be attributed to my low RAM and depleting HD space. It has to be small to accommodate more detail. However, I won't go all detailed here and will instead try to achieve a balance between details and textures. I'll also concentrate less on photo-realism and more on visuals.

PAVILIONS: A COMMUNITY PROJECT

And now the fun part. Since this is a rather hard undertaking, I won't be able to design all the pavilions, and it'd be rather unfair if I do pavilions for other countries, so I'm opening this project to the residents of the 3D Forum. I'm inviting you to design a pavilion for your respective nations to represent your country for the EXPO. There would be some rules to follow of course.

RULES FOR PAVILION DESIGN

1. Stick to the theme and try to be cohesive with it with your designs.
2. Try to inject as much of your country's culture into your pavilions.
3. Try to achieve a balance with detail and textures. Don't go too detailed but don't do an entirely textured design as well.
4. As much as possible, keep the pavilion file size at 2.5 MB. Skp files only.
5. Follow the dimensions of the plot squares allotted to avoid problems. Maximum pavilion heights is 15 M
6. When sending the pavilion, attach a brief explanation with it.
7. And the most important rule, let loose all your creativity! Haha!

And here are the plots (not to scale) in graphical forms. I will continually update this whenever a slot is taken to avoid slot problems. Please notify me and this thread first before one takes a slot to avoid problems. Also, if there are concerns regarding continent allotments and stuff, don't hesitate to comment and I'll see what I can do. Being the host nation, I will be designing the Philippine pavilion, but those who want to participate can also do pavilions of countries and doesn't have to be necessarily your home nation though ideally it would be better.

DOWNLOAD PLOTS HERE

You can download the entire site map and pick a plot. However, when you send your pavilion, do not send me back the entire site map again and just the pavilion. Upload your download links in this thread so I can download it for placement in the site.

http://www.filesend.net/download.php...bc8876f3316e7a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pe6yio

I'll also be creating a similar thread in SkyscraperCity so I can involve more people and hopefully, get more pavilion designs to complete the project so continually check up on updates to avoid confusion. The project doesn't end when all the slots get filled. I'll work on animations and renders of the completed project with people and events to add a semblance of life to it. And also, like in the real EXPO, I'll set up a poll with regards to Best Pavilion Design. The EXPO will be part of my city so all our efforts won't go to waste.

I'm looking forward to your participation. Please post concerns and comments, and also whether you'd like to participate or not. I hope this becomes a successful project for the 3D Forum community!

So that's all for now. Will be posting new updates tomorrow, a short tour of the site and what's built so far.

-burjdubai91

http://burjdubai91.deviantart.com/

Last edited by burjdubai91; Nov 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:22 PM

i will see if i can create something to represent Eurus but does it come in Europe or Asia since it's in the kinda UAE/Iraq/Azerbaijan like area?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:55 PM
Closed account

If I have any time, I'll be gladly to do this,

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

interesting concept! i'll enter something for sure! now what country to pick...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 11:18 AM

YingBlanc: It's probably in Asia, will be waiting for your pavilion
Flamesrule: Sure, there'll be no exact deadline so no pressure
Aleks: Thanks Aleks! You have 200+ nations to pick from... lol

Next post, there'll be a huge update with renders of the site's construction. Comments are welcome, and notify this thread when you want to join.

Here's a few announcements I posted in SSC:

To make clear:

All fictional cities and countries are also allowed, though we are also encouraging actual national pavilions as well.

Okay, to clarify some points, I'll be posting the steps on how to join.

HOW TO JOIN: YOUR PAVILION ENTRY

1. First, select a plot you want to use. Use the site map and pavilion image to choose.

2. Next, post a comment in this thread with the pavilion image and your chosen plot marked with a circle, cross, square or whatever. You could use MS Paint for that.

3. Next, download the site map from any of these links:
http://www.filesend.net/download.php...bc8876f3316e7a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pe6yio

4. Then, you can build your pavilion in your chosen spot in the site map 3D file. However, save your pavilion in a separate 3D file so you don't have to send me the site map file again. That's huge. Try to meet the size requirements, now 3.5 MB.

5. When sending me your pavilion, you have the option to:
- Post the download link in this thread
- Send me a PM with the link
- Send me the pavilion in my email: mphkasingsing@gmail.com
- Or, upload them to 3D Warehouse.

Just choose any one of the options.

Just 5 easy steps to send a pavilion. I'll be in charge of renders and placement of your pavilion in the site. I'll post updates and renders of pavilions in this thread to let you know the developments in the site.

It is important that you notify me and this thread about the spot you chose and the country of your pavilion to avoid problems. Also, our friends in SkyscraperCity are also invited to join.

THERE IS NO DEADLINE. The EXPO opens after all the spots have been taken and I'll be doing a huge collection of renders with all the pavilions and stuff, and possibly, an animation of the opening ceremony. A website is also possible, so we could preserve this project for all to see. But as much as possible, try to send me your pavilions soon or there might be a risk of your chosen spot to be taken by someone else.

That's all for now

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:24 PM

EXPO Update#1: November 15, 2010

So here's the big update on the site construction. They aren't top-drawer renders as they're just meant to show progress. I'll use high quality renders for important stuff like the pavilions.

UPDATES

Here's the entrance to the EXPO site. The Performing Arts Center, the first structure completed in the EXPO is visible here.

The newly-finished Performing Arts Center viewed from parking area.

The Performing Arts Center and the entrance barricade of the Expo site.

Performing Arts Center undergoing finishing works.

Front facade of Performing Arts Center facing Circle of Nations plaza.

Performing Arts Center fountain and pool with boulders from Mt. Makiling.

Overhead shot of Performing Arts Center and site.

The Philippine Pavilion, also undergoing completion works, is the first pavilion to be partially completed.

The Philippine Pavilion

Works on Axis West, the main pavilion passage in the west section of the EXPO site.

The Philippine Pavilion with coconut trees.

Construction continues in Axis West. Tall colored canopies called 'Silong' will shield visitors from heat and line the length of the axis. They are meant to evoke trees.

'Silong' canopies line Axis West.

One of two bridges in the EXPO, Earth Bridge with west side of EXPO in the background.

Earth Bridge with Saraya River

Water Bridge with Saraya River

Progress on east side of EXPO

Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:56 PM

Sometimes I lurk, feel like I'm going to post but then abstain as I'm not sketching at the moment; but this calls for a praise!

Congratulations for the initiative, but specially for your designs. The auditorium looks out of the 70s but still very well balanced and shaped.

The Phillipinas Pavilion is jaw dropping. I'm not gonna play stupid, there is some Ghery there, (and some Calatrava for the bridge) but at the same time you are the first (I've seen) to successfully use Gehry's "style" or approch and end up with something of true worth. Also, don't know whether this was intentional, the Phillipines are so many diverse islands, and the pavillion is many diverse structures, bundled together - Binnheka Tunggal (ika) (I believe that's Bahasa, but Austronesian non the less)

The implantation, the layout, of the pavilion, the performing arts center and the river is just perfect; and the water plants on the slow flowing river are the most beautiful touch

makes me wanna join but would be afraid to spoil it!

really man, thumbs up.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:02 PM

Wow, that looks just great. I would do the german Pavillon if you dont mind ?

On the fifth lot from the lover left ?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:13 PM

verticalextropy: Thanks for that wonderful comment and your insights! They really made my day! The Philippine Pavilion isn't suppose to be like this and was the product of random playing with shapes. Rocks and pebbles were my inspiration and these came out. Yep, they do look Gehry and was afraid people might deride it because of that, but your insights worked well for it. Aside from Unity and Diversity, I also wanted them to look organic and natural, a part of nature, a structure that seems to have been already there for a long time. And yes, I took a page from Calatrava for the bridge. He's such a wonderful bridge designer. Do join, and no, you won't spoil it but add to its beauty. Any addition to the EXPO adds to its being meaningful.

Tolbert: Why sure! Just follow the steps, download the site map and design your pavilion. Thanks for joining! Um, could you specify in a more exact manner the spot you chose so I can update the map?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:45 PM

You're right Pat, I can see now (by comparing it to the arts center) where it came from. That overhead shot shows how the two buildings and the ground level works very well together as if it were indeed a natural landscape, or of a garden. I can notice one wonderwall on the pavilion, good
It's not Gehry it's the fact that you're daringly using all tensile, or curved walls for the paillion, instead of the easy plane.

I might accept your invitation to join after all. What does the "private" category refer to? Can I do the pavillion for a powerful yet green-minded corporation instead of a nation?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:34 PM

Done Eurus' Pavillion, inspired of the Lloyd Tower in London since Eurus is based on Britain.

Download first off: http://rapidshare.com/files/43103743..._Expo_Spot.skp

the spot:

and the pictures:

and a run-through the features,it has an observation desk on the black gem shape at the top, and all the cladding is in the flags colours, and that's pretty much it enjoy hope it's good enough

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:38 PM

On this map, blue sector (europe of cause), fifth from left

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:55 AM

verticalextropy: Thanks for the comments on the design. The EXPO museum will also try to carry over the organic theme as it might be the next structure I'm designing. Private pavilions are for corporations or firms so your idea is perfect for it. I reserved a slot for you just in case, but if you want to move or to un-reserve the slot, just tell me

Tolbert: I'm so sorry! That slot was reserved in SSC so I moved you to a plot of almost similar size. Check the Pavilion Slot Update below. Real sorry. Do you like the slot I picked? or would you want to move to another?

yingblanc: Wow! Looks great. Would you mind if I add more textures to it and tweak it a little bit? I promise I won't change the original design. I just want to add some bumped textures to make good renders of it. I'm placing it in the site map as we speak so expect renders of it soon Also, could you send me a JPEG of your country's flag? Thanks.

Whoa, thanks guys for the overwhelming response. 10 spots have been taken as of today. I also reserved two for myself, the African and the Indonesian Pavilion. Yes, it is possible to create 2 pavilions for one user, but I'll have to limit it to maximum of two so we could have other people join in if they want to

PAVILION SLOT UPDATE AS OF NOVEMBER 16

One last thing, for fictional nations, cities or corporations, could you send me a JPEG of your flag or logo so I could include it in the flag line-up? Thanks

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjdubai91 View Post
Tolbert: I'm so sorry! That slot was reserved in SSC so I moved you to a plot of almost similar size. Check the Pavilion Slot Update below. Real sorry. Do you like the slot I picked? or would you want to move to another?
Ok, only problem is that this lot is to small for what i've planed. Is it possible to connect the 2 lots above for germany? I thought the strongest country economy and people wise should have a lot that resembles some more space as Benelux or Danemark

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 10:25 AM

Burj,

I re-began sketching yesterday, I'm taking the slot and yes cool I want to be a Corporation trying to redeem itself or an eco-Institute à la State of Fear or James Bond's last (?) movie.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:20 PM

Tolbert: Real sorry! Um, I'll give you permission to make yours taller, but nothing above 19 M coz that's the highest a pavilion can go. Is that okay with you?

verticalextropy: Okay! glad you could join

NEW! PAVILION SLOT UPDATE AS OF NOVEMBER 16

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjdubai91 View Post
Tolbert: Real sorry! Um, I'll give you permission to make yours taller, but nothing above 19 M coz that's the highest a pavilion can go. Is that okay with you?

verticalextropy: Okay! glad you could join
19m .... Ok, flat but ill do it that way

Last edited by Tolbert; Nov 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Wow! Looks great. Would you mind if I add more textures to it and tweak it a little bit? I promise I won't change the original design. I just want to add some bumped textures to make good renders of it. I'm placing it in the site map as we speak so expect renders of it soon Also, could you send me a JPEG of your country's flag? Thanks.
yeh that's fine, and the flag is shown in my Agrul thread but i'll pm you the flag as well just in case you miss it, can't wait to see it in the expo

edit: oh and does it have to be constructed with metal then cladding or can it just be put straight in?

Last edited by YingBlanc; Nov 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:13 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

okay okay, let's not get personal in here. it's fun to joke around but somethings should be kept to ourselves. let's make this the end of that.

well anyways, i kinda wanna do mexico because the pavilion in Shanghai was horrible! but i also wanna do america cause i know more about it... and i have a really cool idea on america... ahh! can't decide!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:58 AM

Aleks: I agree. Let's put the past behind us and carry on with life. As for your pavilion Aleks, well you could always do both, but I'd want to see what you'd do for the US.

P.S: I actually like the Mexico pavilion. LOL

YingBlanc: Got your flag. Thanks. Sorry, I don't quite get what you want to tell me in your last comment.

I'm going to post a slot update again later as new slots are being taken in SSC. Am in school and I forgot to bring my laptop so I can't do it now. Thanks guys for participating!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup