HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The descendants of the groups most impacted by the 1924 immigration restrictions (ie "white ethnic" Catholics) are some of Trump's biggest supporters.
You sure? I am a "white ethnic Catholic" as is my large family, none of us support Trump.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You sure? I am a "white ethnic Catholic" as is my large family, none of us support Trump.
well, i'm a white cathnostic and my large catholic family utterly loathes trump as well.

however, nationwide stats indicate that white catholics broke pretty heavily for trump.

white catholic voters in 2016:

trump: 60%
clinton: 37%

source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...2016-analysis/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:04 PM

I'm thinking the Great Depression of the 1930s would have slowed immigration into the US anyway...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
well, i'm a white cathnostic and my large catholic family utterly loathes trump as well.

however, nationwide stats indicate that white catholics broke pretty heavily for trump.

white catholic voters in 2016:

trump: 60%
clinton: 37%

source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...2016-analysis/
Wow, that's shocking. I guess, my family is not typical of ethnic Catholics.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:06 AM
Posh

I think once you get out of the northeast, west coast and maybe the Chicago area, (non-Hispanic) Catholics will tend to be more conservative.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
I think once you get out of the northeast, west coast and maybe the Chicago area, (non-Hispanic) Catholics will tend to be more conservative.
There might be some overall regional differences in how white catholics voted, but I would guess that the biggest split would once again be the urban/rural divide. I have to imagine that there are plenty of trump-hating white catholics in urban chicago, st. Louis, milwaukee, cleveland, cincinnati, etc. Just as there are plenty of trump supporting white catholics in rural pennsylvania, new york, california, etc. The suburban areas would of course be pretty blurry everywhere, but that's probably where you might find a more pronounced regional difference in political leanings among white catholics

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:44 AM

Not many white Catholics in the South, except in transplant-flooded areas. And the West is dominated by Hispanic Catholics. Rural America generally isn't too white Catholic either.

Metropolitan White Catholics probably voted Trump coast-to-coast (excepting inner cities and university towns). Reason #9871 I feel increasingly uncomfortable even being just a cultural Catholic given the incredible hypocrisy.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:47 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
There are pretty few non-hispanic white Catholics outside the Northeast and Midwest in the US. The other big group of catholics are Filipinos who do tend pretty socially conservative (a lot are single-issue votes on abortion).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:37 AM

Outer borough white ethnics in NYC voted for Trump in big numbers.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:58 AM

Trump also won like 30% of Hispanic voters who are majority Catholic.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, that's shocking. I guess, my family is not typical of ethnic Catholics.
Lol thats not shocking at all, based off of demographics you can pretty much guess correctly how somebody voted.

Now we can discuss why that has become the case and if it is a good or bad thing but that is the way that it is.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Rural America generally isn't too white Catholic either.
except catholicism is the largest denomination in significant parts of rural america in the northeast, midwest, and west.

source: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackw...ion-by-county/

yes, most american catholics live in metropolitan areas, but that's true of most groups because we are a metropolitan nation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:02 PM
The City

What does it mean to be Catholic?

If your parents are Catholic does that make you Catholic?

What if you don't believe in any of that nonsense, does the Census still count you as a Catholic?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

If your parents are Catholic does that make you Catholic?

What if you don't believe in any of that nonsense, does the Census still count you as a Catholic?
I assume it's the response to what religion you are, not a reflection of how truly religious one is. I always respond Catholic, though we go to Church 3-5 year and I don't believe any of the crazy stuff about God coming to earth and allowing himself to be killed to save humanity.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
it's a little bit like being "jewish".

most of the jews that i know are cultural jews.

and most of the catholics that i know are cultural catholics.

some might go to church/synagogue a couple times a year for some of the bigger holy days, but their overall faith is pretty half-assed.

in my case, i don't actually believe in any of that hocus-pocus bullshit, but i did attend catholic schools K-12, so it will always be a part of me, whether i want it to be or not.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
except catholicism is the largest denomination in significant parts of rural america in the northeast, midwest, and west.

source: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackw...ion-by-county/

yes, most american catholics live in metropolitan areas, but that's true of most groups because we are a metropolitan nation.
Its funny, I never associated Catholics with anything other than the NE and Hispanics in the South West. Its surprising, I guess coming from the South I imagined almost all rural Christians were Baptists. This country is so damn vast.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

In relation to the OP, we'd be a lot better off.

I love living here in Birmingham, but it really feels like the city is split between two planets. I hate that.

I mean f***, there used to be a large Italian community here. These days, you couldn't find an individual with knowledge of their Italian heritage if you tried.

Our Greek community is struggling to maintain its cultural presense. Our Turkish, Greek, and mid-eastern community is holding on with some great food establishments.

Also...... the gay community is thriving! We're not as concentrated to certain neighborhoods like we used to be. Avondale was a pretty heavy gay stronghold during the 70s and 80s. Now, the neighborhood is still a wonderful place to live in or visit, but you don't really get to see the LGBT. I think the strongest LGBT+ neighborhood in Birmingham is in Crestwood, a very nice part of town.

I realize that a gay neighborhood is not the same as an immigrant community, but I think it still stands as an example of how like-minded folk can congregate and form a strong community.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:50 AM
TL;DR

I've always thought the white ethnic immigrant groups (Jews, Italians, Polish, etc) would have kept their stigma in relation to a WASP elite had the government not restricted immigration, similar to how Mexicans have retained a stigma despite having been in the US for many decades.

The immigration restrictions meant that those communities were not refreshed by new blood from the old country, so their cultures assimilated more quickly into American culture at large. By 1940, most white ethnics under the age of 20 had been born in the US, and of course the shared sacrifice of WWII helped bridge divides between those youngsters (who were draft eligible) and their WASPy counterparts.

By the postwar era, most people of European descent (within metropolitan areas) considered themselves to be part of the same racial group.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:11 AM

It's not surprising that there are a lot of plurality Catholic counties given how many Protestant denominations there are.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It's not surprising that there are a lot of plurality Catholic counties given how many Protestant denominations there are.
Yeah, a lot of these "Catholic" counties, especially rural, are probably like 20-30% Catholic. There are about 60 major Protestant denominations and all the Christian fundamentalist churches, so you don't need anything close to a majority of faithful to show up as blue.

Rural America, even in the NE and MW, leans Protestant. You go 60-70 miles NW of Manhattan in the Poconos, (in very Catholic PA) and there will be easily five Protestant churches for every Catholic church. Many seem to be little fundamentalist or Baptist churches, rather than mainline Protestant churches.

Also, my parents have a cottage in Northern Michigan, in a county that's shown as blue (on Lake Huron), and I know there's only one Catholic church in the entire county. There are probably a dozen or so hardscrabble-looking fundamentalist churches.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions