HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
What's going on with The Village?
I can see a call centre going there soon.

... and on a separate tho' related note, why can't fountains exist in St. John's?

Any development that has had one, has shut them down, but they still exist in other cities.
GNC is also closing in the Village and several stores have 70% off sales, so is that a sign of more closings? Advertising outside the mall seems to be more for office space rather than retail space.

And I know this probably belongs in the rumor thread or somewhere else, but an interesting Village rumor I heard a couple of weeks ago was of some locals looking to buy the Village to add an ice rink (see the concept at https://www.ice-world.com/). It seems a little far fetched but I guess if the rec room can work, something like this might too. But if the mall was to become a sports minded facility, then it should follow that Sportschek would stay put. And to add my own thought for the Village, today I read a story on CBC about food halls (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foo...nada-1.5451268) so my thoughts went to what if we had a mall with both? The Village, or the NL economy for that matter, might not be the place for either, but it's an interesting concept. If I had a (few) million dollars...

And on fountains, Bowring Park still has a fountain, although the pond surrounding it leaves a lot to be desired as far as cleanliness goes in mid summer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwal View Post
GNC is also closing in the Village and several stores have 70% off sales, so is that a sign of more closings? Advertising outside the mall seems to be more for office space rather than retail space.

And I know this probably belongs in the rumor thread or somewhere else, but an interesting Village rumor I heard a couple of weeks ago was of some locals looking to buy the Village to add an ice rink (see the concept at https://www.ice-world.com/). It seems a little far fetched but I guess if the rec room can work, something like this might too. But if the mall was to become a sports minded facility, then it should follow that Sportschek would stay put. And to add my own thought for the Village, today I read a story on CBC about food halls (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foo...nada-1.5451268) so my thoughts went to what if we had a mall with both? The Village, or the NL economy for that matter, might not be the place for either, but it's an interesting concept. If I had a (few) million dollars...

And on fountains, Bowring Park still has a fountain, although the pond surrounding it leaves a lot to be desired as far as cleanliness goes in mid summer.
You're right! Totally forgot Bowring.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 10:40 AM

Anyone know what is going up next to Costco? There’s a large building at the end of the road that looks like it is almost complete.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post
Anyone know what is going up next to Costco? There’s a large building at the end of the road that looks like it is almost complete.
Pretty sure that's the new Princess Auto. I thought it was set to open in June, but that was prior to the pandemic. IDK if it's affected the timeline on that - wouldn't be surprised though.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Pretty sure that's the new Princess Auto. I thought it was set to open in June, but that was prior to the pandemic. IDK if it's affected the timeline on that - wouldn't be surprised though.
Was in the area on Saturday and saw signage on window of future Princess Auto saying opening Fall 2020.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 2:40 PM

I'm shocked it took this long to see a serious incident in the Galway roundabouts. They are way too tight, worse in winter and 2 lanes suddenly become 1 without warning in one area. Will something finally be done about this?

Hoping the driver is doing well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
I'm shocked it took this long to see a serious incident in the Galway roundabouts. They are way too tight, worse in winter and 2 lanes suddenly become 1 without warning in one area. Will something finally be done about this?

Roundabouts are not good for a truck carrying a liquid load, there was also a rollover of a tanker at the airport sometime ago.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post

This isn't the first truck rollover in these roundabouts. I had to skirt around the area due to one last year.
I agree, they are poorly designed - too small for semi-trailers.

I'm not counting on a fix, unless they restrict truck traffic to the other entrance off the TCH, but that's only accessible in one direction so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:41 PM

The Galway Residential Partnership Group (GRPG) has presented a concept proposal to the City for a community park. (See Committee of the Whole minutes starting at page 16 https://pub-stjohns.escribemeetings....ocumentId=8709 ) It is an interesting read. Bottom line, the City won't commit any funding this year but there is hope for the future. It's a bit of a chicken-egg situation, wait for more homes to build the park or build the park to drive demand for more residents??

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:44 PM

Posted in another thread but fits here as well:

Let Danny pay for it; it’s his development. Why should the city fund his empire? But don’t worry, if he wants it he’ll just scream and ball and threaten to sue everyone from Galway to Gander until he gets his own way.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Posted in another thread but fits here as well:

Let Danny pay for it; it’s his development. Why should the city fund his empire? .....
Actually it is City owned land, granted to the City as the 10% requirement for any residential development. GRPG has already invested in the preparation of the plan, which the City has been involved with, so now it is up to the City to proceed with it. One offer was that GRPG would proceed with it and the city would later pay but that was not acceptable.

I do agree that the City has priorities to look at in these difficult times and that maybe a deferral for another year is prudent but it doesn't seem to stop them going forward with other "non essential" projects.

As for developers paying for parks, does the same logic apply for bikers paying for bike trails that the City has no problem proposing with a price tag of 5-6 million?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 1:15 PM

Does anyone know what’s going on with the road connecting the Galway residential area to Southlands Boulevard? I thought that was supposed to be completed last year and nothing happened.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:37 PM

Has the Scotiabank in Galway opened yet?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo44 View Post
Has the Scotiabank in Galway opened yet?
Was just at the Tims drive through next to it & the bank isn't open yet - "coming soon" or something to that effect on the sign still.

The Orange Theory Fitness had a number of people in the parking lot so I'm guessing is open?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmw View Post
Does anyone know what’s going on with the road connecting the Galway residential area to Southlands Boulevard? I thought that was supposed to be completed last year and nothing happened.

The City of St. John's delayed the project until this year. Their original plan for the extension was drafted before Galway was conceived. They have redesigned it by adding a median in the centre and making the future intersections roundabouts instead of traffic lights. Plans still include lights at Teakwood and Great Southern. The plans I seen also include lots of trees and decorative lighting in the median similar to Galway. I'll believe it all when I see it, as I haven't seen any movement in the area this year.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:08 PM

Any news on the TCH underpass for Galway ??

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The City of St. John's delayed the project until this year. Their original plan for the extension was drafted before Galway was conceived. They have redesigned it by adding a median in the centre and making the future intersections roundabouts instead of traffic lights. Plans still include lights at Teakwood and Great Southern. The plans I seen also include lots of trees and decorative lighting in the median similar to Galway. I'll believe it all when I see it, as I haven't seen any movement in the area this year.
Southlands Blvd will not be extended this year... Via Paul Lane on FB

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:02 PM

Is there any word on the new Princess Auto opening date yet

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswally View Post
Their Stavanger location is closing in approximately 2 weeks.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:16 PM

Moving to new location October 27th is posted on a sign out side the Stavanger Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswally View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's