HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 6:13 PM

Developers plan to demolish warehouse near Pearl for 300-unit apartment project

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...ear-pearl.html

Has Anyone Seen any renderings or plans for this project?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadsalmon View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...ear-pearl.html

Has Anyone Seen any renderings or plans for this project?
No renderings yet, but the (very basic for zoning use) site plan has some information. As the article also notes, it states a 95 foot height with some commercial use as well. Sounds like an 8 story building to me:

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/View...D-F82934AD3C1C

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:17 PM

Developers planning mixed-use development in Tobin Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
No renderings yet, but the (very basic for zoning use) site plan has some information. As the article also notes, it states a 95 foot height with some commercial use as well. Sounds like an 8 story building to me:

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/View...D-F82934AD3C1C

New Information:

https://www.expressnews.com/realesta...n-15123336.php

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

Generally I like it. The building on the right and the shorter plaza/retail section look pretty good. The building on the left... not so much.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 9:03 PM

Wow again! The SATX just keeps coming up with great project after great project! It really is a amazing time here!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Generally I like it. The building on the right and the shorter plaza/retail section look pretty good. The building on the left... not so much.
I agree. Appears to be a mix of a 6 story and a 7 story building, which is an appropriate height for its location.

If you looked at a map, you would have 281 on the north, then the 6 story E. Ashby apartments, the 3 story (more like 4 in height) Hawthorne Academy (elementary and middle school), then these 6 and 7 story buildings on W. Josephine. In my opinion, all very complimentary in both height and style.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:08 PM

The Otis Hotel San Antonio

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301022333.html

This should be a nice renovation.

I especially like this quote

"The companies are also exploring the development of additional hotels on the six-acre site, including a new boutique hotel featuring 290 rooms, a rooftop pool and bar, and new restaurant. "

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:21 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301022333.html

This should be a nice renovation.

I especially like this quote

"The companies are also exploring the development of additional hotels on the six-acre site, including a new boutique hotel featuring 290 rooms, a rooftop pool and bar, and new restaurant. "
That last part is the 423 South Alamo St. development.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 2:47 AM

Quote:
THE OTIS HOTEL SAN ANTONIO
This is great news. I've always thought that that Marriott was such a wasted opportunity. It's in a prime location as a gateway to downtown and southtown and right across the street from hemisfair. And yet, it's kind of forgotten. It's hidden and so dated.

Pretty cool that SA is getting two AC hotels soon.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 8:36 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
This is great news. I've always thought that that Marriott was such a wasted opportunity. It's in a prime location as a gateway to downtown and southtown and right across the street from hemisfair. And yet, it's kind of forgotten. It's hidden and so dated.

Pretty cool that SA is getting two AC hotels soon.
White Lodging is behind this project - which bodes very well for its completion.

Also, there is quite a difference between an AC Hotel and an Autograph Collection hotel.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:34 AM

CPS Finds a Buyer

There is an article today in the San Antonio Business Journal that CPS has found a buyer for their soon to be vacated headquarters downtown!!

Stay safe!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
There is an article today in the San Antonio Business Journal that CPS has found a buyer for their soon to be vacated headquarters downtown!!

Stay safe!!
Exciting definitely. Do you have a link? Do they have plans? Are they using the existing structure, or do they want to tear down and begin anew?

I'm in favor of a complete tear down and rebuild. Prime land on the river. Big things could come from this.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 11:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Exciting definitely. Do you have a link? Do they have plans? Are they using the existing structure, or do they want to tear down and begin anew?

I'm in favor of a complete tear down and rebuild. Prime land on the river. Big things could come from this.
Um, that's not going to happen. It's a perfectly good 10-story building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Um, that's not going to happen. It's a perfectly good 10-story building.
Have you seen it? It's seven stories of parking garage, with three floors of open office space. Not sure what it could be used for. We're better off without it and using that space wisely. An open park would be better use.

ETA, I'm talking about the parking structure/office building at 146 Navarro, not the old building across the street. The building on the right in this view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4219...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Have you seen it? It's seven stories of parking garage, with three floors of open office space. Not sure what it could be used for. We're better off without it and using that space wisely. An open park would be better use.

ETA, I'm talking about the parking structure/office building at 146 Navarro, not the old building across the street. The building on the right in this view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4219...7i16384!8i8192
Ah! Yes, tear that POS down. I thought it was the nice old building on the left. Thanks for clarifying that.

Or at least reinforce it and build 20 stories on top of it, give it a new facade and re-do the ground level in a more pedestrian-friendly way.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Ah! Yes, tear that POS down. I thought it was the nice old building on the left. Thanks for clarifying that.

Or at least reinforce it and build 20 stories on top of it, give it a new facade and re-do the ground level in a more pedestrian-friendly way.
That was added in the eighties, IIRC, and even then, seemed odd. I know they needed parking for their employees, but damn.

I'd love to see that torn down, and re-built with pedestrian friendly street side, and even better access to the river level, as it's right on the river, across from La Villita and the assembly hall, which leads right to Alamo Street, and the entrance to Hemisfair Park. Again, it don't get much more prime in DT than this.

And, it's on the next block from the St. John's. project. Could make for a nice little community right there.

The skybridge, I believe, was installed when the parking was built, so could be saved.

BTW, I've talked to maintenance guys for CPS that know the building, and it's well south of being saved. According to them, it ain't worth it for all of the defects, to keep it up.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:

Actually that whole intersection at St Mary's/Navarro/East Nueva is equal parts horrendous and promising. There are fugly parking lots literally at all four corners. But one of them is going to be replaced with the new St John's Square development. And the Thai place that's moved into where the gelato shop was is already there. Maybe it will start some momentum there and we can get some developments built on those parking lots on the other corners as well. With some ground-level retail it could be like a new hub with a lot of foot traffic, shops, restaurants etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4210...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 6:45 PM

I have always wanted to see a building like the Flatiron Building in NY built at the corner of this location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio