HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:11 PM

So, yesterday I happened to be seated next to some executives involved in TNS... Loblaws has reserved 30,000 sq ft. of ground floor retail in one of the towers. Not sure what flag it will be, but it will be a Loblaws brand. They had blueprints out and everything.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So, yesterday I happened to be seated next to some executives involved in TNS... Loblaws has reserved 30,000 sq ft. of ground floor retail in one of the towers. Not sure what flag it will be, but it will be a Loblaws brand. They had blueprints out and everything.
So that's why the owner of Family Foods on Donald was in a bad mood and almost ran me over.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
That seems pretty big for a downtown site... for context, the Lucky Supermarket off McPhillips is 32,000 square feet, and Edmonton's now-closed Jasper Avenue Sobeys was 16,000 square feet.

I'm not sure what Loblaws banner would really fit in there... Independent or Extra Foods would be my guess. It would seem weird for No Frills to locate in the base of a supposedly prestigious development like TNS but I guess it's possible.

Anyway, I hope you're right... I'd definitely be a regular in that store and pick things up on my way home. The grocery store on Donald Street is a bit too far to be convenient for me.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
So that's why the owner of Family Foods on Donald was in a bad mood and almost ran me over.
Yeah, it admittedly sucks for that guy. His reward for toughing it out downtown through the bad years is having a giant competitor encroach on his turf. I wouldn't count out Family Foods, though... if they upped their game a bit, they would be in a position to compete.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:37 PM

^ Family Foods has the experience. They learned the hard way to lock up the cheese in a case close to the cashiers. And keep an eye on the meats. No filet mignon lying on the counter. Those are stolen first.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:39 PM

^ I admit I haven't been to Family Foods in a few years... they keep their cheese in locked cases?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I admit I haven't been to Family Foods in a few years... they keep their cheese in locked cases?
Sorry I exaggerated. No they keep in in a closed case beside the cashiers. That makes it more difficult to pilfer. Years ago it was in an open display by the meats. Believe me, the previous ownership went BK in part from stolen meats and cheese.

Edit: The taxes on the business are insane too.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Likely this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/claytonperry/9341055172

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:03 PM

I'm Chinese so that's a good name.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:09 PM

I didn't realize Loblaws City Markets were being rolled out to the Prairie region but I googled it and I see there are locations recently opened in Calgary and Edmonton... that banner would certainly make sense, then.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:12 PM

What was the original name proposed for TNS? Was it SoDo SoPa?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:14 PM
BANNED

City Market makes the most sense. The one in Edmonton's Brewery District is nice, and the one which is set for Calgary's EV looks cool.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
What was the original name proposed for TNS? Was it SoDo SoPa?
Close... SoPo... it's hard to say with a straight face.

On the Loblaws thing, according to the Ed. Journal, Citymarkets are independently owned like NoFrills locations are.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:21 PM

Kudos to True North on the grocery store. And if true, I have to think it's a big blow for SkyCity, since I don't think there is room for too many grocery stores right downtown. But I don't count myself among those who think that Skycity will actually happen anyway. It's only a few steps above Dreamscape at this point.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Kudos to True North on the grocery store. And if true, I have to think it's a big blow for SkyCity, since I don't think there is room for too many grocery stores right downtown. But I don't count myself among those who think that Skycity will actually happen anyway. It's only a few steps above Dreamscape at this point.
I agree it's not as great as having a supermarket right in the building, but having one three short blocks away and accessible via skywalk will still be a pretty big perk for Skycity.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 12:16 AM

That Citymarket would be great, perfect size and concept for the area.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 1:29 AM

From True North Square's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/truenorthsq...777373894519:0

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I am also hearing True north square may be %30 taller than expected on 2 of 4 towers. More demand than expected (Not really jets news but...enjoy)
30%... very interesting. I'm assuming the increase would be on the first phase? So we'd be looking at over 30 storeys for both of those two towers... that would be pretty impressive. It would take what was for decades a vacant void and turn it into a very dense block... with that many more people in the area I'm sure it would boost the surrounding streets a bit.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:30 PM

This is GREAT news for Winnipeg!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:31 PM

Also, Oilkountry, where are you "hearing" these rumours. Please and thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan