HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Was there any offer from the city to not allow parking on the street for apartment tenants? I'm not too familiar with the neighborhood. But it seems parking on street only by permit could have been an option?
I think the city also agreed to implement residential parking permits in the surrounding neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think the parking will all be in a garage. I'm not so much concerned about asphalt. It's more my usual concern about building apartments with huge amounts of parking and offering it to tenants at no added cost (but plenty of hidden cost embedded in rent) so close to a light rail station and a major bike route. The original plan certainly didn't skimp on parking, but the neighbors raised concerns about tenants parking on "their streets," so the developer agreed to expand the garage. If this backfires on the neighborhood opponents, it won't be due to trading green space for surface parking. Instead, it will be that more parking, especially free parking, may induce more driving, and that will lead to the increase in traffic the project's opponents feared.
I guess I spoke too soon. But I agree that the contradiction of (a) not wanting traffic on their street, but (b) insisting on plentiful free parking seems to be lost. Or maybe it's not lost, and the neighbors just don't want the apartments built.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:30 AM

Sooooooooo, does anyone know about cranes for the Toll Brothers project on Indian School. It seems they would need about 3 cranes with how long the project is. They are already working on the second level along Central.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 12:09 AM
Modulator

A new development is being proposed for Willetta across from the library in the 2 lots that once had a 5 story multi-family proposal that never happened.

The new proposal is 37 3-story townhomes called "the Brownstones on Willetta". While I like seeing this lot finally possibly getting developed, I feel with Portrait Phases 1 and 2 and Circa on Central pretty much surrounding both sides of this area, I feel this proposal way underutilizes the lot and Phoenix should press for some higher density here. The project # is 21-2724 for anyone that wants to follow-up on it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 12:41 AM
Skyriser

I'm not super crazy about this project but that area is filled and probably overbuilt with 5 story apartments whereas the townhouse product remains pretty popular.

For some reason I have difficulty seeing the 5 story project pencil out. Something about the alley bisecting it and it being two different buildings just makes it all that more expensive, I suppose.

for reference: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M14451-72624

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:27 AM

I like the sound of brownstones. Hopefully it has some good architectural value. Sooooo, does anyone know if cranes will be coming to the Toll Brothers project on Indian School?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 1:46 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I like the sound of brownstones. Hopefully it has some good architectural value. Sooooo, does anyone know if cranes will be coming to the Toll Brothers project on Indian School?
Given that the project has abundant surface parking, I don’t think they need a tower crane.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:50 PM

Interesting rezoning packet for a proposed apartment building on al long vacant parcel at 23 St. and Van Buren:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...f%20Report.pdf

I don't love the look personally, but it's certainly different then the typical stuff going up all over, and I'm certainly not going to complain about any positive developments in that location.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 7:10 PM
Skyriser

I don't understand that facade/window design one bit. The whole thing makes me feel like I need more coffee.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Interesting rezoning packet for a proposed apartment building on al long vacant parcel at 23 St. and Van Buren:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...f%20Report.pdf

I don't love the look personally, but it's certainly different then the typical stuff going up all over, and I'm certainly not going to complain about any positive developments in that location.
Nice to see any development along East Van Buren, but that is such a rough area, that it will take a long time before it's a desirable stretch.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Nice to see any development along East Van Buren, but that is such a rough area, that it will take a long time before it's a desirable stretch.
Plus it has retail facing Van Buren. Maybe JJ will get his wish of having an H&M flagship on Van Buren or maybe a Restoration Hardware perfect for the existing pedestrian traffic that ebbs and flows on that part of Van Buren....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:28 PM
Skyriser

Existing pedestrian traffic? You mean escapees from the mental hospital?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Existing pedestrian traffic? You mean escapees from the mental hospital?
lol exactly!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 7:09 PM

Fer sure

I can imagine that THESE faux fur pillow covers will sell like hotcakes in a place like that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Given that the project has abundant surface parking, I don’t think they need a tower crane.
They don’t really use the crane for the parking garages. They use it to move wood around faster. Apartments that have underground parking like the one on Columbus, had a crane.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
lol exactly!
Speaking of which, I grew up near 33rd St, a couple of blocks south of McDowell in the 60s-70s. In the 60s an escapee from the institute walked into my house and planted himself on our couch when I was a little kid, home alone. It took me a little while before I had the courage to bolt past him(the couch was right next to the front door) and run out of the house.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Speaking of which, I grew up near 33rd St, a couple of blocks south of McDowell in the 60s-70s. In the 60s an escapee from the institute walked into my house and planted himself on our couch when I was a little kid, home alone. It took me a little while before I had the courage to bolt past him(the couch was right next to the front door) and run out of the house.
Hahaha! Holy cow! This is an amazing story on so many levels.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Hahaha! Holy cow! This is an amazing story on so many levels.
That was the Reader's Digest version. It was pretty intense. Especially as a kid.

He wouldn't talk. Just pulled out a cig and asked me if I wanted a smoke, then just stared at me. And I mean stared for a long time. I'm thinking...dude, I'm a little kid? I may be nervous, but I don't want to smoke, haha(laughing now, not then)

But he didn't follow me right away, so I went into the kitchen and started nervously doing chores, hoping he would just leave. I think I was in a bit of denial.

My head was kinda spinning and I was trying to figure out what to do, how to get out. I was afraid if I ran out the back door that he would corner me in the dark in a fenced-off backyard. So I grabbed a steak knife, threw a kitchen towel over it, then walked back in front of the couch trying to talk to him, hoping I wasn't looking like I was thinking about escaping. I don't know if a kid could really look nonchalant, but I knew I watched enough tv to at least try.

After he put out a cigarette, then dropped his eyes to reach in his pocket for another one, I bolted out the front door then ran down the street a couple of blocks to my best friend's house.

It got even weirder. My best friend's mother actually worked at the Arizona State Hospital facility at 24th St and Van Buren. She called the cops(pre-911 days), then drove us back to my house to wait for PD. She couldn't help but go inside, and we followed, and as soon as she walked in she said "Mike...what are you doing here?"

After a little while-I really don't remember how long-a PD officer walked in and said "Mike, you got out again?"

It was like a family reunion.

My friend's mom, Sarah, did tell me at some point later on that Mike was physically dangerous.

Different times, man. My Ma raised us as a single mother, and worked nights as a cocktail waitress to support us. Four kids, all alone, and we only saw her on weekends, yet we never locked our doors. I honestly can't remember if we ever even had a house key.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
That was the Reader's Digest version. It was pretty intense. Especially as a kid.

He wouldn't talk. Just pulled out a cig and asked me if I wanted a smoke, then just stared at me. And I mean stared for a long time. I'm thinking...dude, I'm a little kid? I may be nervous, but I don't want to smoke, haha(laughing now, not then)

But he didn't follow me right away, so I went into the kitchen and started nervously doing chores, hoping he would just leave. I think I was in a bit of denial.

My head was kinda spinning and I was trying to figure out what to do, how to get out. I was afraid if I ran out the back door that he would corner me in the dark in a fenced-off backyard. So I grabbed a steak knife, threw a kitchen towel over it, then walked back in front of the couch trying to talk to him, hoping I wasn't looking like I was thinking about escaping. I don't know if a kid could really look nonchalant, but I knew I watched enough tv to at least try.

After he put out a cigarette, then dropped his eyes to reach in his pocket for another one, I bolted out the front door then ran down the street a couple of blocks to my best friend's house.

It got even weirder. My best friend's mother actually worked at the Arizona State Hospital facility at 24th St and Van Buren. She called the cops(pre-911 days), then drove us back to my house to wait for PD. She couldn't help but go inside, and we followed, and as soon as she walked in she said "Mike...what are you doing here?"

After a little while-I really don't remember how long-a PD officer walked in and said "Mike, you got out again?"

It was like a family reunion.

My friend's mom, Sarah, did tell me at some point later on that Mike was physically dangerous.

Different times, man. My Ma raised us as a single mother, and worked nights as a cocktail waitress to support us. Four kids, all alone, and we only saw her on weekends, yet we never locked our doors. I honestly can't remember if we ever even had a house key.
That's insane!... this is exactly the type of story I was imagining! Definitely different times.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:46 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...fp_mfn2mW32588

Origin Investments announces that Union Phase 2 will break ground within the next 60 days with units expected to be delivered in early 2022. Honestly, I thought this one dropped off the earth but good to see there’s some news about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest